Off Topic New York City.....help!!!

• Thread starter peace.love.gymnast
  • Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Quick correction... ;) Times Square (around 42nd St) is in Midtown, not Downtown. Downtown consists of a whole bunch of smaller districts and it's much further South.

My bad! My, that is confusing. Perhaps that's why when one of the subway lines got shut down we got COMPLETELY lost. :p

The names actually make sense. SoHo = South of Houston Street (pronounced like house, not like the place in Texas). Tribeca = Triangle Below Canal Street. Nifty, eh?

I got into a discussion of what is the definition of Upstate NY once. This girl who lives in my apt building says that our other house is "upstate" even though its only about 15 miles north of Manhattan. I think of Upstate as starting at like Orange and Dutchess Counties. When I asked her where Upstate starts, she said "96th Street". To each their own.

I got into a discussion of what is the definition of Upstate NY once. This girl who lives in my apt building says that our other house is "upstate" even though its only about 15 miles north of Manhattan. I think of Upstate as starting at like Orange and Dutchess Counties. When I asked her where Upstate starts, she said "96th Street". To each their own.
Guess, we aren't talking about NYC anymore...

Anyhoo, obviously, you haven't had a conversation with a real upstater yet. :p You're absolutely right, to a metro New Yorker, generally anything North of the Bronx is Upstate. To some, Uptown is confused with Upstate. Anyone living in Yonkers will tell you that they are upstaters. To a "real" upstater, any place south of the Catskills is downstate and anything below Dutchess County is "The City".

To the locals, upstate doesn't really start until you go North pass the line extended from what we call the Twin Tiers (NY/PA border). Coincidentally, that is more or less how the NY State Gymnastics governing body divide up the state -- particularly for the two Level 4 team Cup (Upstate vs. Downstate).

Last edited:
Guess, we aren't talking about NYC anymore...

Anyhoo, obviously, you haven't had a conversation with a real upstater yet. :p You're absolutely right, to a metro New Yorker, generally anything North of the Bronx is Upstate. To some, Uptown is confused with Upstate. Anyone living in Yonkers will tell you that they are upstaters. To a "real" upstater, any place south of the Catskills is downstate and anything below Dutchess County is "The City".

To the locals, upstate doesn't really start until you go North pass the line extended from what we call the Twin Tiers (NY/PA border). Coincidentally, that is more or less how the NY State Gymnastics governing body divide up the state -- particularly for the two Level 4 team Cup (Upstate vs. Downstate).

Saying upstate starts at 96th Street in Manhattan was clearly a joke. My cousins live outside of Poughkeepsie. That feels like upstate. I have family in Hamilton County. Now that is definitely upstate!! Mamaroneck or most other places in Westchester? Nope, not upstate.

Never heard of Twin Tiers before. Looks like it lines up with the northern end of Ulster and Dutchess Counties, making Greene and Columbia the first ones north of that line in eastern NY.

Saying upstate starts at 96th Street in Manhattan was clearly a joke.
In some cases, it really isn't a joke. Some (not too many) NYers really don't know. Then again, most people outside of New York State thinks the state consists of only NYC. What they don't realize is that the state has a park that is about 30 times as big as NYC by itself.

My cousins live outside of Poughkeepsie. That feels like upstate. I have family in Hamilton County. Now that is definitely upstate!! Mamaroneck or most other places in Westchester? Nope, not upstate.
And yes, the Poughkeepsie and Fishkill area is being called "towards the city" or just "the city" by some around here. I lived in Dutchess County for a few months a long time ago, it certainly had an upstate feel then. Nowadays, not no more, judging from the traffic alone. I actually felt in love with the place then. Good thing I didn't follow my heart.

Never heard of Twin Tiers before. Looks like it lines up with the northern end of Ulster and Dutchess Counties, making Greene and Columbia the first ones north of that line in eastern NY.
Yup, Upstate starts from North of the Catskills in the Eastern end. So, we both learned something new. :p

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back