Level 4 Vault Question Series #2 - Board Contact

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

emacmommy

Never got around to finishing this series. I've been busy but now have a lull in my competition schedule until state Dec 18th.

Again, I'm at home without the text so I'm paraphrasing.

Series #2: Board Contact Deductions
Excessive Lean Forward on the Board.... up to 0.3

While only one judging point here this is a pivotal point in the dynamics of vault and something we are striving so hard in our gym to a) teach well from the start (i.e. at a preschool level even) and b) fix those girls who have never been picked apart at this. A judge can often guess the following deductions by carefully remembering her snapshot of what the girl looked like at board contact. Not that a judge should have to guess tho.

I've been here for three seasons, this will be my fourth, and two seasons ago I started working on the girls who were here when I got here and let me tell you changing this habit the going is slow. We are decent vaulters... probably placing consistently 6th - 3rd place on average in our tiny populated state, but we yet to be top at vault and I blame our hurdle and board contact habits.

Drill already discussed about the hurdle from Series #1:

* Running full tilt into the pit and trying to jump (running long jump style) completely across it to a very squishy mat on the other side.
* Placing vinyl squares, panel mats, yurchenko mat, tape/chalk lines, etc. well in front of the board to encourage a long hurdle to the board.

Let's hear about those other drill you have to help mold this pivotal vault stage!

I have a very Beginning Rec drill to understand the steps involved in how to approach and then jump to the board, pre-hurdle, only concept building.

We use the tumbl trak so I can have as many as six trying at any one time. I place a vinyl square (anything flat that won't bounce too high will work) in the middle of the trak (a chalk drawing also works well). The kids stand all on one side of the trak. We lift our "not favorite leg" in the air explaining it's like "walking the plank". They step with their not fav leg on the trak in front of the shape (only one foot allowed there I have to say a lot), jump over the shape and land on two feet, then jump backwards over the shape again. The goal is they will understand that if they jump and land slightly leanig backwards it will be easier to immediately jump backwards. First we start with just the concept and eventually we work on tighter legs and actually punching, then I introduce the arm circle technique. It's repetitive yet I can mix it up and they are bouncing on trak... which of course is a favorite place for Rec students to be. When I want to introduce the board on the vault runway I place the yurchenko mat as the "edge of the trak" to start on, set the vinyl square on the low end of the board to jump over and of course a line to aim both feet for and we are introduced that way, punching backwards off the board. I start with a Jr. Board first until we learn to run into this action. Ta da.

I'm a little confused about the not favourite leg and walking the plank part. Could you explain again? I like the idea in general.

The not favourite leg is to step onto infront of the square so that they take off with the favourite leg infront when they jump over the square. I had to read it twice to get that. I like the idea of the jump back teaching them to lean back slightly. Not sure about the walking the plank.

Any drills about staying tight on the board please.

yes gymnut, a quite simple one. have the gymnast stand on the sweet spot of the board. grab them by their upper arms with both of your hands. then tell them to start bouncing off the pads of their feet. you assist and guide them by bouncing them 'down' on to the board while saying "tight" each time they punch. it's simple but works quite well.

The not favourite leg is to step onto infront of the square so that they take off with the favourite leg infront when they jump over the square. I had to read it twice to get that. I like the idea of the jump back teaching them to lean back slightly. Not sure about the walking the plank.

Any drills about staying tight on the board please.

I love dunno's drill above, it works a treat.
Also how about you demonstrate a 'jelly jump' (really really floppy jump onto springboard) and a good tight 'gymnast jump' and get them to spot the difference. If you can trust them to be sensible, have them try it too so they can feel the difference for themselves. Sometimes this method works - provided it is safe for them to try it with a floppy body!

Hopefully what will happen is this: In the jelly jump, the gymnast cannot get any bounce out of the springboard at all - in the gymnast jump they will go super high. Getting them to stay tight in the air though - that is a different matter - we do lots of jumps onto a platform - they must stay tight or they will collapse when they land.

In order to encourage the leaning backwards part:

Place a mat a good foot or so (depending upon the size of the gymnast) away from the springboard. Have the gymnast run as fast as they can, place their leading leg on the mat and leap to the board. The rebound jump off the springboard should then land back on the springboard or if possible back at the base of the board. On the springboard the arms should be behind the gymnast's body, then as they jump upwards, arms should swing up to the ears - with my little ones I tell them to swoosh their arms (they are around 5-6 yrs old)

I've seen this done in Huntingdon gym club which produces some top British Gymnasts on men's and women's sides. I've also seen it done with older gymnasts, where upon jumping onto the board, they actually rebound into front support, so that their feet are on the floor their hands are on the springboard - I'm not so familiar with this one, but it looked good for keeping the gymnasts tight too! This drill was for encouraging a heel lift I think.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back