Parents The 50% cut post level 4

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So to my amazement only 1/2 our level 4 team will continue to optionals. 1 is going to xcel gold, 1 quit, 1 repeating 4. So we are now down to 3 level 6 girls. It makes me so sad but the one repeating does not want to put in the work and neither did the one that quit. My bean has always had to work her bottom off just to maintain the level, so it is hard for me to get that this is more work than before . Etc. Bottom line, the elders always KNOW!

It just continues the higher you go; of the 13 girls who started out in my daughter's pre-team, there are only 2 of them left who are training Level 9 this year. This is a sport of attrition...:oops:

This is how it works.
Our of my kid's 14 level 2s, there are 5 left in the sport. One is in xcel, three are juat now entering the world of optionals (and i hope they stick it out! Two have major fear ussues, ugh).

My dd level 5 team had 15. Now going into 6/7/8 we have 7 left.
Middle school, fear, and 1 injury.

For us post L4 was the biggest cutoff too. Out of 11 girls 3 quit, DD switched to Xcel, another one switch to another gym and Xcel, one repeated 4 then switched to Xcel. So out of 11 only 5 moved up to L5.

Sorry for what's coming, but this just hit me in a certain place this morning. We have had such a challenging year and were forced watch our team fall apart and then move on from everything we've ever known in this crazy gymnastics life. Thanks for bearing with me.

My dd loves to look back at her team photo from the first year and see how many are still around and what they are doing now. She keeps up with many of these kids on social media.

The group that year of old level 4s (current level 3) was very big. 26 kids.

Of those 7 are still doing JO gymnastics - 2 lv 9s, 2 lv 8s, 1 lv 7 and 2 lv 6

One is doing xcel

They are now spread out over several gyms.

The rest all quit after all going down different and wandering journeys. We had several quit after new level 4 and also a significant number that moved to a less intense gym at that same juncture. A whole bunch more quit after level 6 as well.

Looking through all of their journeys and remembering back on all these great girls, I reflect on watching them all progress. How proud I was to watch all the small accomplishments and victories along the way, how heartbroken I was to see injury and family crisis take this sport away from kids that loved it, how difficult it was to watch those struggle and work and tough it out only to never make it to optionals because it just wasn't what they were mentally or physically meant to do and how very hard it has been to be split apart from those I have come to love.

And there are so very few that make it to upper level optionals. Not one of them was one of those little hotshots that dominated compulsories and only two of the twenty six are still in the right age/level zone to be in the running for a college scholarship.

It is also interesting to note that very few of these girls are the ones I associate with my daughters own personal journey. There have been kids that have come and gone along her path either leaving or just moved beyond. There are four girls left of what I would consider the core of our journey, only one from this original group.

It is moments like these that you see the meaning of gymnastics reflected back at you. It is hard when you are starting out to see past the moment and the podium and the movups and the current group of kids.

But it is so incredibly important to remember that every gymnast has their own journey and the lessons learned and confidence gained and the profound way this sport impacts what amazing young women they will all become whether they stick it out to the end or move on for whatever reason along the way is what it is all about.

The journey is a roller coaster. It really is best to just strap in and enjoy the ride. It will be thrilling and terrifying and devastating and make you just about the proudest parent in the universe. These girls that choose this life are all incredible human beings and I am honored to have met and been part of the journey of each and every one of them.

Sorry for what's coming, but this just hit me in a certain place this morning. We have had such a challenging year and were forced watch our team fall apart and then move on from everything we've ever known in this crazy gymnastics life. Thanks for bearing with me.

My dd loves to look back at her team photo from the first year and see how many are still around and what they are doing now. She keeps up with many of these kids on social media.

One is doing xcel

The rest all quit after all going down different and wandering journeys. We had several quit after new level 4 and also a significant number that moved to a less intense gym at that same juncture. A whole bunch more quit after level 6 as well.

Looking through all of their journeys and remembering back on all these great girls, I reflect on watching them all progress. How proud I was to watch all the small accomplishments and victories along the way, how heartbroken I was to see injury and family crisis take this sport away from kids that loved it, how difficult it was to watch those struggle and work and tough it out only to never make it to optionals because it just wasn't what they were mentally or physically meant to do and how very hard it has been to be split apart from those I have come to love.

And there are so very few that make it to upper level optionals. Not one of them was one of those little hotshots that dominated compulsories and only two of the twenty six are still in the right age/level zone to be in the running for a college scholarship.

It is also interesting to note that very few of these girls are the ones I associate with my daughters own personal journey. There have been kids that have come and gone along her path either leaving or just moved beyond. There are four girls left of what I would consider the core of our journey, only one from this original group.

It is moments like these that you see the meaning of gymnastics reflected back at you. It is hard when you are starting out to see past the moment and the podium and the movups and the current group of kids.

But it is so incredibly important to remember that every gymnast has their own journey and the lessons learned and confidence gained and the profound way this sport impacts what amazing young women they will all become whether they stick it out to the end or move on for whatever reason along the way is what it is all about.

The journey is a roller coaster. It really is best to just strap in and enjoy the ride. It will be thrilling and terrifying and devastating and make you just about the proudest parent in the universe. These girls that choose this life are all incredible human beings and I am honored to have met and been part of the journey of each and every one of them.
OMG, you just made me tear up.
I've been rather retrospective this past month, as my DD finished her journey at the end of April.
She finished on her own terms, and we are all thankful for her journey, and all the friends who are still on their journey.

We're going through this now. After states two girls left from dd's group now 3 more are talking about it. My dd had a hard time when the first two left. She really didn't understand why they wouldn't want to keep doing gymnastics, especially since they were moving onto optionals. She still doesn't completely get it but she isn't letting it bother her as much as it did before. We just got a couple girls that switched to our gym so she's busy making new friends.
I can't wait until school is out and summer training can really begin!

The majority of the girls in my DDs original L4 group is still there. 6 out of 8 are currently at the gym, though they're different levels now: from training 7 to training 9.

It is kind of an odd feeling, isn't it? DS started with 6 others in L4; 3 quit, 1 moved to another gym, 1 repeated L4 - so only 2 of them moved up to L5. There they joined 4 kids who were repeating L5. Now that they're about to all move up to L6, we had someone else move in (from a different gym), 1 quit, 1 more who is -this- close to quitting, and 2 more who I'm pretty sure would quit but aren't allowed to. (Don't get me started on that.) So it's looking like there will be 5 kids at L6, and that's before they've even begun the longer practices. (We have one kid on L6 right now, I am assuming he moves up and am not including him, but I don't know that for a fact.)

I think it's just the strange nature of this beast, where there's this semblance of a team that will be together forever, but the reality is that the specifics of it shift and change all the time.

We lost 5 level 10s (we had 10) and 5 level 8s (we had 16) right after state. Only about half of the level 8 girls will move up to level 9 (we didn't have any level 9s this past season), so while we lost a lot of girls it is kind of nice to have smaller sizes on team. Our level 8 team was so large that it was always split into 2 groups at the meets and we felt like 2 separate teams. And I've already noticed a different atmosphere in the gym during practice. Most of the level 10s that quit had wanted to quit earlier in the year but I think their parents convinced them to at least finish out the season.

i make a senior video for our graduating senior gymnasts and when you go through those old pictures and videos, you get a sense of what a truly difficult journey it is to be able to finish out your gymnastics career as a senior. I am constantly amazed by what these young women were able to do - all the injuries and setbacks that they've overcome over the years. All of the sacrifices they've made to continue on in the sport all the while watching so many of their friends and teammates leave and seeing that core group grow smaller and smaller.

One is doing xcel

Yep, tearing up at my desk at work. I'm emotional because today is supposed to be the day if we find out my dd (just turned 10) gets a JO team invitation or not. I'm completely at peace if she is recommended xcel, but also wanted to support her trying her best for this.

thefellowsmom summed it up very well. DD is heading into her final year of JO. Not only is she the only one left in gymnastics from her original group of 14 at L4, she has also had other L9&10 girls come and go in the past 4 seasons since she changed gyms, and this past season and next season it is now just her. She is the only L10 and the only high schooler in her training group. It is lonely...

OG's 2nd year of Old L4, there were 11 girls.
3 just finished a season of L8.
OG just finished a season of L6… will be competing L7 next year.
One had made it to L6, but retired in junior high to pursue cheer and drama activities (she also does rugby now).
3 moved on to other sports / dance they were doing along with gymnastics once they got to Jr. High.
2 moved out of state and pursued other activities.
1 retired due to injuries. She moved on to weightlifting.

YG had 20 girls on her Old L4 team her first year.
1 competed until she started coaching. She still coaches.
1 has moved away and plays soccer.
YG just finished a season of XG and is getting ready to compete L6.
10 left for other activities in junior high or high school (but 5 of them competed for the Jr. High gymnastics team at least 1 year).
1 just finished a season of L8.
4 just finished a season of high school gymnastics that conflicts with our gymnastics season… They still practice with us now that the season is over.
1 just finished a season of XG. She might make the transition back into JO next season.
1 just finished a season of L6.

In our gym, it is more grade / age than level that causes the drop off. When they get to 7th grade, there are so many opportunities out there.

Yep, tearing up at my desk at work. I'm emotional because today is supposed to be the day if we find out my dd (just turned 10) gets a JO team invitation or not. I'm completely at peace if she is recommended xcel, but also wanted to support her trying her best for this.

Good luck to your daughter! Im sure she will have a great experience no matter what but I hope she gets the chance to chase her goals.

It's what's happens and it's totally fine.

I've seen the refusal to throw in the towell turn into some really sad situations in the upper levels during the teen years - so now that I'm more experienced, I don't really see kids leaving this sport as that sad of a thing. If their heart isn't in it, or it's not for them physically or mentally anymore as time goes on, it is fine to stop. There are a lot of great sports out there besides for gymnastics.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back