Who is on your USA women's team now?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

So USAG archived the meet here you can see the part we are discussing at 1:10. I see her hug her coach and then walk back to her seat exclaiming how badly she did in a very peeved voice. I do not see her ignoring her coach.

Does anyone else see disrespect here?

She is clearly upset with herself an is telling her coach how she feels. But as far as disrespect or walking away, I didn't see it She hugs her coach her coach pats her and they walk together away from the event. I watched a few of the in between events sections here, I think they have to walk somewhere and can;t stand right where the gymnast exits the event so all the athletes and coaches are on the move. Gabby too does not seem to be walking away as much as acknowledges her coach and then heads to where her seat is.

So USAG archived the meet here you can see the part we are discussing at 1:10. I see her hug her coach and then walk back to her seat exclaiming how badly she did in a very peeved voice. I do not see her ignoring her coach.

Does anyone else see disrespect here?

So I watched Gabby after EACH event… she hugged her male coach and acknowledged Kittia when she was there. She NEVER walked away while getting critiques. But as others have said, they are going to where they need to get to after their events.

I agree with all this, EXCEPT on the part about being under no obligation to become a TV personality.

She's put herself out there. She has her own reality show about her life now. You can kind of see how it's sending mixed messages. I think THAT'S why she's under more scrutiny. By capitalizing on her fame (and who can blame her really?) she's set herself up for this type of expectation. If you invite people in, you invite their opinions about you too. That's how fame works. I'm an introvert- having to be "on" all the time would be a nightmare, so her path would not be my choice. But it's what she chose, and I do wish her the best.

Eh, maybe. A lot of people take reality show deals, but that's separate from her being at a meet or in public. Also, I only watched the premier and her appearances in her show are painfully awkward. Someone on here once complained that they tried to get her attention in public when she was going to the bathroom and she didn't come over and take a picture with them. Personally I wouldn't take pictures of the president of the United States in public or bother him. I don't think that's appropriate behavior no matter who the celebrity is. I understand a lot of people feel differently. I've met most of these girls and I treat them the same as any other kid. In this case they haven't set out to be celebrities.

My team:

Biles
Raisman
Douglas
Hernandez
Kocian

Alternates: Smith and Nichols

I'm pretty sure this will be the team. Locklear will be an alternate (for Kocian). I think the other two alternate spots are between Smith, Nichols, Hundley, and Dowell.

Question: of the 5 or 6 that seem to be the highest contenders, are any of them in danger of NOT being placed on the team if they bomb the trials? Let's say for the sake of argument that Hernandez just bombs. Would that be enough to keep her off the team? If so, who are some underdogs who could pull off an upset if they hit? Or is none of this actually possible because the team is pretty much already set?

Question: of the 5 or 6 that seem to be the highest contenders, are any of them in danger of NOT being placed on the team if they bomb the trials? Let's say for the sake of argument that Hernandez just bombs. Would that be enough to keep her off the team? If so, who are some underdogs who could pull off an upset if they hit? Or is none of this actually possible because the team is pretty much already set?

In my opinion, I think it's pretty much set. I read an article a while ago and I can't remember where it was or who wrote it but it asked Marta about the following 5- Raisman, Biles, Hernandez, Douglas and Madison and she said that would be a pretty great team. I honestly think she has her mind made up already. However with that being said anything is possible. I don't see Smith sneaking in for a spot because she had such a poor showing at nationals and she was left of the pac rim team originally for falling off beam at camp. She did get to go when Maggie pulled out with an injury. Maggie is my only bubble girl. I don't know what she is going to look like at trials. Unfortunately I think she is a little too late because of her injury, But anything is possible.

In my opinion, I think it's pretty much set. I read an article a while ago and I can't remember where it was or who wrote it but it asked Marta about the following 5- Raisman, Biles, Hernandez, Douglas and Madison and she said that would be a pretty great team. I honestly think she has her mind made up already. However with that being said anything is possible. I don't see Smith sneaking in for a spot because she had such a poor showing at nationals and she was left of the pac rim team originally for falling off beam at camp. She did get to go when Maggie pulled out with an injury. Maggie is my only bubble girl. I don't know what she is going to look like at trials. Unfortunately I think she is a little too late because of her injury, But anything is possible.
I think had she not gotten hurt that Maggie had a good chance of making the team. Now though, she would have to show up in amazing shape next weekend. I think Aly has been showing herself by continually improving and Gabby would have to truly bomb to not get to go. Laurie also would have to do something horrible, in my opinion, to be left home.

I think had she not gotten hurt that Maggie had a good chance of making the team. Now though, she would have to show up in amazing shape next weekend. I think Aly has been showing herself by continually improving and Gabby would have to truly bomb to not get to go. Laurie also would have to do something horrible, in my opinion, to be left home.

So in your assessment is Kocian the only one who could really bomb herself out of a spot? I'm trying to remember the 2012 trials. I wasn't as "up" on all the contenders then- I remember Nastia's bars... was she a lock who majorly messed up? Or was she just not in the same place as Aly and Gabby are now as comebacks and her place was not as secure? Same for Sacramone?

This is a great question. Clearly Simone is a lock even if somehow we enter bizarro world and she falls on every event, but what about the others?

So in your assessment is Kocian the only one who could really bomb herself out of a spot? I'm trying to remember the 2012 trials. I wasn't as "up" on all the contenders then- I remember Nastia's bars... was she a lock who majorly messed up? Or was she just not in the same place as Aly and Gabby are now as comebacks and her place was not as secure? Same for Sacramone?

I think Kocian could bomb herself out of a spot, but it probably would need to be a major implosion at this point. I think it's highly unlikely, but if Maggie or Ragan knock it out of the park and Laurie has a bad showing ... then maybe they sneak in. Unfortunately, I just don't think Maggie had enough time to recover from her injury. It would be a very interesting process if she was in the same place as 6 months ago.

Nastia was definitely not a lock before trials in 2012. She had not proven herself in major competitions like Aly and Gabby have. Sacramone was coming back from an injury at the Olympic Trials and just didn't have enough time to get ready (very much like Maggie).

Reactions: sce
Unlike what NBC would have the public believe, it's relatively clear at this point. The four "definites" are Biles, Douglas, Raisman, and Hernandez. The other spot could go to Kocian (most likely) or Locklear (less likely, but possible if she's consistently scoring several tenths better than Madison).

You could also throw around names like Skinner, Nichols, and Smith, but they all look like outside chances at this point. They'd all be great alternate material.

It's fun to play with other team compositions, but I don't think Marta likes taking those chances...

Nastia, from I what I remember, wasn't in even close to the same place that Aly and Gabby are.

Reactions: sce
In 2012, Nastia tried to make her comeback too late. She competed just one event at Classics, if I remember correctly. That got her through to Nationals, though she didn't do great at Nationals: 19th on bars, 6th on beam. She fell on bars at Trials and knew it was over. At trials, she ended up 10th on bars and 7th on beam. Not Oly quality.

Sacramone made her come back the year before the Olympics, like Aly and Gabby did in 2015. She was named to the 2011 Worlds team, but tore her Achilles in training. She had surgery immediately and rehabbed and was looking good in 2012: 2nd on vault and beam at Trials, but her strengths lined up with other strengths and without the other events, she didn't fit the team picture.

Thanks. I knew Nastia fell at trials but wasn't aware of her journey leading up to that. So would this be unprecedented in women's gymnastics, to have TWO returning Olympians?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back