Who is on your USA women's team now?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think it would be great if they just showed the routines, putting cameras in their faces constantly is really quite awful. They are all pretty young and it just feels voyeuristic.

It really should be about the performance and nothing else.

It would be better for them and we might see more gymnastics.

How is Gabby not showing team spirit? Didn't Simone walk away from her coach and talked back in a disrespectful manner? But no mention of this only critiques for Gabby. No one knows what may have happened or what is on a person's mind. Just because someone isn't yelling "you got it" or "go" doesn't mean they don't have team spirit.

So USAG archived the meet here you can see the part we are discussing at 1:10. I see her hug her coach and then walk back to her seat exclaiming how badly she did in a very peeved voice. I do not see her ignoring her coach.

Does anyone else see disrespect here?

So USAG archived the meet here you can see the part we are discussing at 1:10. I see her hug her coach and then walk back to her seat exclaiming how badly she did in a very peeved voice. I do not see her ignoring her coach.

Does anyone else see disrespect here?

You know, it's funny. I honestly didn't think so but the day after we watched it, unprompted Puma Jr told me that she was surprised Simone was rude to her coach. I think she just looks frustrated with herself (which like others have said, actually makes her look human!). Also, I rewatched a couple other scenes when thinking about this thread and I think sometimes they just have to walk single file? At one point it kind of looks like Ali is walking away from Mihai, but I really think she's just walking to where she needs to be next.

You know, it's funny. I honestly didn't think so but the day after we watched it, unprompted Puma Jr told me that she was surprised Simone was rude to her coach. I think she just looks frustrated with herself (which like others have said, actually makes her look human!). Also, I rewatched a couple other scenes when thinking about this thread and I think sometimes they just have to walk single file? At one point it kind of looks like Ali is walking away from Mihai, but I really think she's just walking to where she needs to be next.
I felt the way you did....it was my child who felt differently.

I got zero vibe of disrespect. Watched it with my 10 year old daughter who simply empathized with Simone's feeling of dissatisfaction (as in she knows how it feels to not hit a routine the way you are capable) and of having dead legs. It was clear watching the routine that it wasn't Simone's best, and understandable to be tired after a long weekend of competing. That's the only thing my daughter took away.

I was surprised when comments here about her 'disrespect' popped up. I can see that exchange being labeled "whiny", which could seem out of place for an 18 year old I suppose, but not disrespectful. I imagine Simone and her coach have an extremely close relationship and established comfort with expressing a range of tone and feelings. I also don't think she is 'walking away' in the sense of getting away from/ignoring her coach. Looks like they are both simply walking back to the next place they need to be.

Simone's reaction looks like the typical teenager who is really mad at herself and losing control of her emotions in front of someone really close to her. She probably wouldn't do that to Marta or a less familiar authority figure.

My bet is Simone just doesn't have as much experience w/ "bad performances" as many of the other gymnasts ;).

Dd and I just watched it again and my 8 year old didn't feel any disrespect from Simone, she thought maybe Simone was thinking she needed to work harder on the beam and to fight to stay on point.

Side note.....When Marta smiled for the first time of the evening DD said, "Wow, finally Marta is smiling!" Interesting how my little gymnast picks up on adult expressions at such as young age.

I think everyone's view of disrespect is different. I have witnessed kids speaking to their parents in a disrespectful way via tone, ect and their paremts don't seem to mind. They dismiss it as "typical teenage behavior". I like Simone but I didn't think it was a good look considering cameras were around. Goes to show when things are going great it's easy to smile but when they are not reality sets in

I thought Simone was hilarious. She does this from time to time and Aimee always has a kind of half smile and "what can you do" look on her face. We all have those kids :) I'm pretty sure Simone is one for her. You just go with the flow.

None of these athletes are really "disrespectful." Unfrotunately Gabby is being judged for not being a bubbly star which she isn't, and I guess some people think that means she shouldn't have an Olympic gold medal in gymnastics. She has a gymnastics medal, not an Oscar. She was an introverted kid who started gymnastics and excelled. She's under no obligation to become a TV personality if she wants to continue gymnastics, in my opinion. I'm sure anyone who is introverted and socially anxious themselves can imagine the incredible amount of stress and pressure she has to face when dealing with the cameras and interviews and fans for days straight and then on top of that the stress and pressure of the meet. some people thrive on that to some extent, but if you're more introverted you know how hard it is. I think she handles it fine personally. It would not be okay for her to curl up and cry or lash out at her coaches, but she doesn't do that. She merely doesn't smile enough for some people, or talk.

She was an introverted kid who started gymnastics and excelled. She's under no obligation to become a TV personality if she wants to continue gymnastics, in my opinion. I'm sure anyone who is introverted and socially anxious themselves can imagine the incredible amount of stress and pressure she has to face when dealing with the cameras and interviews and fans for days straight and then on top of that the stress and pressure of the meet. some people thrive on that to some extent, but if you're more introverted you know how hard it is. I think she handles it fine personally. It would not be okay for her to curl up and cry or lash out at her coaches, but she doesn't do that. She merely doesn't smile enough for some people, or talk.

I agree with all this, EXCEPT on the part about being under no obligation to become a TV personality.

She's put herself out there. She has her own reality show about her life now. You can kind of see how it's sending mixed messages. I think THAT'S why she's under more scrutiny. By capitalizing on her fame (and who can blame her really?) she's set herself up for this type of expectation. If you invite people in, you invite their opinions about you too. That's how fame works. I'm an introvert- having to be "on" all the time would be a nightmare, so her path would not be my choice. But it's what she chose, and I do wish her the best.

On her show she's barely on it. For the most part it's about her family. I find people are harder on girls than boys. Not much talk like this for any of the boy athletes

On her show she's barely on it. For the most part it's about her family. I find people are harder on girls than boys. Not much talk like this for any of the boy athletes

I think if you frequented some of the other gym boards you would see all kinds of MAG talk, love and hate. But generally WAG is more popular than WAG anyway. We are much kinder here than many boards I go on.

I do think this generation of athletes are under much more scrutiny than generations past, every step, and miss step, is out there for the world to see. But this generation have grown up without knowledge of a time before social media. I am very glad we did not have it when I was in my teens.

On her show she's barely on it.

That's splitting hairs. It's HER show. Without her there would be no "Douglas Family Gold".

I get it. You like her. That's great. She's got tons of fans. She's a great gymnast. I hope she does well and accomplishes what she desires. But it's ok for people to feel differently too. And it's ok that I'm "not impressed" with everything she does.

That's splitting hairs. It's HER show. Without her there would be no "Douglas Family Gold".

I agree. And I'd have said its 60-70% her and the rest of the time it's her family talking about her or how her gymnastics takes over the family (as in Ari shouldn't take an internship bc it's a bad time with Gabbys gymnastics). So.....I'd say this show is Gabby's show that her family is in

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back