Parents Xcel bronze vs Xcel silver

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gym_mom11

Proud Parent
Can someone tell me what the biggest difference in skills are in tgeth 2 levels? My DD just completed her first year competing but did level 1. Our gym is going to just go only excel route now so trying to decide which is best for her bronze or silver. Our hc I think basically leaving it up to us at this point because skill wise she could go either way. She does not have her back handspring yet but close. (I think) She is pretty strong on bars and vaukv. Does well on beam but a little scared of new skills on high beam. I'm just trying to get some perspective. I want her to do well and be successful which I think she will be in bronze but don't want her to go silver and struggle and feel like she's failing.... Any help from others with experience?

It would depend on her skills. In Silver, she doesnt need to have a ROBHS. It would depend on what skills she does have.
XB XS Bars.jpg XB XS Beam.jpg XB XS Floor.jpg
Here are the differences on Bars, Beam, and Floor.

Attachments

• XB XS Bars.jpg
    XB XS Bars.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 228
  • XB XS Beam.jpg
    XB XS Beam.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 192
Ok so in silver on beam do they have to do a handstand or cartwheel? I mean my thoughts are also we have a long ways to go before comp season that she can improve...

In some states bronze doesn't participate in sanctioned meets. So it depends on the state you are in as well.

Another thing to think about, other than skills--since you are being given the choice, maybe consider what motivates her? If she does Bronze, she may be one of the higher scorers and get more medals/podium spots. If Silver, it may be that she is one of the lower scorers but she will be working with girls who are above her level so she may be motivated to push herself harder and ultimately progress faster.

My DD competed Xcel Bronze two years ago. She competed L3 skills on all events except bars (no mill circle). It was a great first season. However, we found there were not very many gyms that competed Bronze at that time -- so meet sessions/groups were small compared to Silver and Gold. That may not be the case in your area and/or as Xcel continues to grow??? A smaller group size is great for collecting medals (I looked back and my DD finished top 3 AA at every meet except for one big travel meet) but did not offer a very competitive experience. Mymeetscores might give you a good indication of the number of Bronze vs Silver athletes at local meets. Also worth noting, at least when my DD competed, Bronze was not included our state and regional meets. If having the opportunity to compete at those meets is important to your DD, then you should confirm that Bronze is included in your particular state/region.

I agree with @jessimee that (since your gym gave you a choice) you should consider whether your DD would personally prefer more medals or harder competition. I would probably also consider the ages/groupings of girls at your gym -- and consider which group (Bronze or Silver) would be a better fit for your kiddo at your particular gym (in order to avoid being way older or younger than teammates, etc.)

Good luck.

Thank you so much everyone for your input! I think the higher scoring and placement would be a much bigger motivator for my child than just working with the older kids. I do know in our area bronze does compete in the districts and regionals so that works well for us. Our HC did say she can put harder skills in my DD routine than some of the younger ones so she's still challenged so that's good. I guess my confusion is one coach says silver and one is on the fence. I really do think bronze is a better fit for her this yr so unless they have a change of heart and feel really strongly that she should be silver then we'll do bronze. She's only 6 1/2 ( probably will compete as a 7 yr old I think b/c of her bday) and I keep thinking she has plenty of time to go to the other levels so don't rush it since we have time.. you guys have given great input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back