Parents Canadian Gym parent - Xcel vs Compulsory

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sure this has been asked ad nauseum so I do apologize.

My daughter is Silver Xcel, this will be her second year competing.

We do like her gym, she likes her gym, but every once in a while she comes home and says things that make me question whether or not the Xcel kids get the same attention as the compulsory kids. And I don't know if I should care or not care.

They have their showcase coming up. She just told me she doesn't really want to go because they've been told their group (the only Xcel group in the gym, has silver and gold athletes I believe) won't be doing routines at the showcase, just skills. I asked her if the other groups are doing routines and she said yes.

I also don't see that the Xcel kids are featured on their FB pages very much - which in and of itself is not a big deal, but I wonder if it is indicative of how they handle their Xcel program.

I have asked the gym some questions, and they advised they use the Xcel program as a feeder program for their compulsory athletes AND for kids who started late with their competitive program (due to covid or other reasons). They also only compete twice a year - I don't know if this is usual or not.

They DO train 12 hours a week, which I think is equivalent to the compulsory kids. I can't put my finger on why I'm bothered because she is learning amazing things... I just don't want them (Xcel) to get short shrift because the gym itself isn't prioritizing them. If they're not prioritized, how can they get better.

If this ramble makes any sense at all.... should I care? Or should I just be glad she's enjoying a sport at all.

We ended up dropping our development program as an aftermath of covid and became an xcel only gym, but even when we had both, they were both valued. Actually the Xcel team was probably featured on social media more because the owner coached Xcel and the head DP coach wouldn't let anything less than 100% perfect be put online. The xcel girls did train less hours, as our gym strives to be a low hours low cost xcel program, but competed maybe 5-6 meets before state and then regionals for those who qualified, plus an early home practice meet.

How old is your daughter? Is she in the feeder for DP or started late group? There are some really wonderful xcel programs out there so if she's not on track to switch over, I might get through this season and explore some other options, especially if she likes competing. Training Xcel silver 12 hours a week to compete twice doesn't sound super fun to me. Our silvers were only 5 hours a week and competed around 8 times including state and the home meet. The meets are fun!

Sounds like your DD wants more! I would find out whether she is being tapped for DP and decide from there whether to stay with your current gym or move. You will find a lot of variety in how gyms treat Xcel. It really can be a wonderful alternative for kids who otherwise can't or don't want the time commitment of DP but not every gym has this philosophy. My DD started the sport late and was 10 when she joined Xcel. Her gym usually taps 5-7 year olds for training team/DP and my kid had just started lessons at 7. She moved to DP after competing Silver for a year and did fine in DP until she graduated.

Maybe that's part of my problem (not really a problem). I think I need/want a coach to tell me "your daughter will remain xcel, she is not good enough for the compulsory program" or "with work she can get there". Until I hear those words (and I don't think I will hear them) I'm going to second guess the gym or wonder if I'm somehow dropping the ball.

Nutterbutter - did the gym approach you about moving? Or did you inquire?

Maybe that's part of my problem (not really a problem). I think I need/want a coach to tell me "your daughter will remain xcel, she is not good enough for the compulsory program" or "with work she can get there". Until I hear those words (and I don't think I will hear them) I'm going to second guess the gym or wonder if I'm somehow dropping the ball.

I think it would be ok for you to politely ask. You could even send an email if it's hard to catch coach before/after practice.

Something like:

Hi Coach,
Daughter loves gymnastics and is having a great time on the Xcel team. We were wondering if you see her continuing with Xcel long term or making the switch to compulsories at some point. We just want to know what to expect. Thanks so much for making daughter's experience at gym so positive and fun.

It was a little of both. When I inquired about my DD joining Xcel, the HC told me she could join Xcel and that they would evaluate her after a year. I didn't know what they were gonna evaluate her for but whatever...I was just thrilled she was on a team. I was clueless and didn't even know the difference between Xcel or DP. I slowly realized that my DD was unique on her Xcel team because of her form even if she didn't have the hardest skills. I learned that most of the other parents were explicitly told 'no' when they inquired about DP. I was never told 'no' but then again I was too clueless to ask the question. No one else seemed to have as thoughtful of a conversation with the HC that I did (I kept all this to myself, LOL). I kinda figured towards the end of her Xcel season that the 'evaluation' was likely for DP and they invited her to move over the week after her season ended.

If I were in your shoes, I would talk to the coach or send an email like Coach Kate suggests. I love the tone she suggests. At the same time you can start researching other gyms in your area. Look at their social media and websites and see if there are any that fit what you are looking for. Lastly, keep an open mind but at the same time don't be afraid to question things if you hear that your kid isn't 'good enough' or 'can get there in time'. She may not meet the criteria for DP at your gym but easily could at another gym. Or you may find the right Xcel program at another gym that provides the rigor your DD is looking for even if it's not DP.

Thanks for your replies - truly appreciated.

I think I just need to trust the gym. They do "testing" regularly twice a year (I think it's twice). If she were able to move over I am sure they would identify that. I just get so worried that I'm the one who needs to be more on top of this and she'll miss out on something because I am an idiot and didn't know enough to ask the proper questions.

I do like the idea of the email, but I literally just had a conversation with the HC and asked a bunch of general questions. So I don't want to be annoying.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back