3 year old level 3 :0

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

USAG L3 used to have a standing BHS, but they removed it this cycle when they were trying to make the routines more accessible to lower level competing or something. I think AAU made it so you have the option of doing a BWO, a standing BHS, or bridge kickover.

I think the kid is adorable and I would have enjoyed watching a video of her doing the beam routine on a lower beam with a coach standing by, or doing her pullover, cast BHC on a preschool bar again with an instructor by her. I appreciate that she didn't get hurt but it doesn't seem like a chance worth taking.

but kim and chris WOULD NEVER post their children up on youtube and the like. REAL coaches just wouldn't do that.

Dunno, I LOVE YOU! My newborn just did a rhbhs and just got her kip, but I guess i won't post it yet on youtube. I will wait for her to reach 1 at least. Seriously, parents, get a grip. These are BABIES! Let them grow up a bit...

Oh No, don't give anyone the suggestion or it will happen! Guess we could call it level D for USAG "delivery day" team! It's like pre-team to L1

Come on, we all know how most of our gymmies got out, ROBHS into the doctors hands, right?

but kim and chris WOULD NEVER post their children up on youtube and the like. REAL coaches just wouldn't do that.

I think the video that was mentioned in this thread was posted on gymnastike. it was nothing like this though (although I don't think the poster meant to imply it was). At the end of their invitational Chris was announcing and their little boy came out and did a little dance. Maybe some rolls and handstands if you want to call it "flips" but he wasn't doing a competition routine with a back headspring. I don't think most of us have a problem with that kind of playing that doesn't go out of bounds. It's the back headsprings and precarious sole circles done on competition equipment that is unnerving.

Last edited:
I think the video that was mentioned in this thread was posted on gymnastike. it was nothing like this though (although I don't think the poster meant to imply it was). At the end of their invitational Chris was announcing and their little boy came out and did a little dance. Maybe some rolls and handstands if you want to call it "flips" but he wasn't doing a competition routine with a back headspring. I don't think most of us have a problem with that kind of playing that doesn't go out of bounds. It's the back headsprings and precarious sole circles done on competition equipment that is unnerving.
Thanks Gymdog! No, I wasn't implying that they are at all similar. Perhaps this little 3 year old is constantly in the gym due to her Mom's work schedule and she can be seen copying the older girls while they practice. Maybe this Mom put her in just for 'fun'? Looking at the youtube site, I didn't notice any other videos of the little three year old. I don't know if the other little girl on the site is her sister or not. I only wanted to emphasize that this is a little girl, and we shouldn't say we are disgusted by performances of this nature with such a young child. I don't mean that we need to glorify it either, but come on it is a child. We should be kind hearted to an extent.

sorry...wrong place. still adjusting to the new way.

yes, yes, and yes. ^^^

I don't believe AAU has any minimum age requirements.

Just because there are no minimum age requirements, does NOT make it right to have a 3 year old compete. Common sense should come in to play here. Usually when I see videos of very young kids (especially when they label the video with the childs age and level), it is ALL for the parents' ego. It is not enough these days that kids are participating in one of the toughest sports--gymnastics, now it is all about their kid being the youngest and getting to the higher levels the fastest.

It's all about winning and being the best, but the sad part is, when the kid is burnt out, stressed out or injured from overuse before they even hit their 10th birthday, no one really "wins" now do they???

Thanks Gymdog! No, I wasn't implying that they are at all similar. Perhaps this little 3 year old is constantly in the gym due to her Mom's work schedule and she can be seen copying the older girls while they practice. Maybe this Mom put her in just for 'fun'? Looking at the youtube site, I didn't notice any other videos of the little three year old. I don't know if the other little girl on the site is her sister or not. I only wanted to emphasize that this is a little girl, and we shouldn't say we are disgusted by performances of this nature with such a young child. I don't mean that we need to glorify it either, but come on it is a child. We should be kind hearted to an extent.

They video their child doing a back head spring and shove it on youtube. I doubt their kid can read, or that she even knows what youtube is. Why would you be kind hearted to parents who push their kid out onto the floor with skills that could break their necks? Let's be honest and maybe they will get it and start to realise the danger they are putting their chid into.

They video their child doing a back head spring and shove it on youtube. I doubt their kid can read, or that she even knows what youtube is. Why would you be kind hearted to parents who push their kid out onto the floor with skills that could break their necks? Let's be honest and maybe they will get it and start to realise the danger they are putting their chid into.

I agree. I think my biggest problem was seeing this little one do a skill (ROBHS) she doesn't have very well but wasn't being spotted. I watched my 6 yr. old struggle for a while to get this skill. However, I always felt that her coaches had her safety in mind because she was spotted on the floor. For the longest, the only time she did it on her own was when they would practice on the "squishy" mats. Even at my girl's most recent meet, I saw coaches from other gyms spotting some of their gymnasts on the floor and this was level 4. Honestly, watching that video made me shudder a bit.

I think she means to be kind hearted to the child!! its not the kids fault it's the parents :)

**Off topic**
Dunno are you saying real coaches don't film their gymnasts? @ Js gym the coaches film as a training aid. They post the video on a youtube page they created for the gym. Just curious what you meant?

**Off topic**
Dunno are you saying real coaches don't film their gymnasts? @ Js gym the coaches film as a training aid. They post the video on a youtube page they created for the gym. Just curious what you meant?

I believe he meant their own children.

**Off topic**

I'm pretty sure his comments were specifically related to this instance. I would agree that a good developmental program wouldn't video tape kids doing skills that are quite frankly dangerous.

Oh Why? She was adorable! It isn't the child's fault. We don't even know her story. I saw a video of Kim and Chris Burdette's little boy at a meet. He was just flipping around. Perhaps if this is the coaches DD maybe she was just there on exhibition. I could be totally wrong of course. I would never let DD compete at that age either, but I must confess that I enrolled her in gym because she threw a flip flop on our couch at 3 after watching World Championships on T.V. I knew if she was going to learn to flip semi-safely she would need proper training. Kid is still flipping every where!

Well I didn't watch it to know whether she was adorable or not, but I'm sure she is adorable and I know it's not her fault. I'm just a little burnt out on videos of little kids doing crazy things and people commenting on how the kid is for sure going to the Olympics. It just looks scary and it makes the parents look like crazy people. DD's dad is a gym coach, but he would NEVEr have taped her and put her on youtube. It seems like there's a race out there to say my child was the youngest child ever to be able to do such and such.

**Off topic**

no...............

I'm pretty sure his comments were specifically related to this instance. I would agree that a good developmental program wouldn't video tape kids doing skills that are quite frankly dangerous.

yes, that^^^thank you!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back