WAG 7 year old Level 4,5 or 6?? Coaches input needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

depends on how the seasons fall. Some states the season runs November to May for level 3-10.
I wouldn't change a thing, if we were nov to spring, we would compete couple months of compulsories and then optionals in Feb. In reality its no different than the states who do fall compulsories and spring optionals, I mean whats a month or two.

I wouldn't change a thing, if we were nov to spring, we would compete couple months of compulsories and then optionals in Feb. In reality its no different than the states who do fall compulsories and spring optionals, I mean whats a month or two.

Don't really disagree but it does make the timing a little different because you can knock the score out meets out earlier if there's a fall season. Also, we have no compulsory state meet until May, seems like most gyms want to have a strong team at the state meet so in reality though no one does what you describe. I'm not saying that's a really good or necessary reason but it's just how it goes. Usually people bring judges in in the summer to score out.

But also it sounds like the trends in competing have kind of evolved different in places that have early states vs what I see in a single season state. No one here would really have a child who was going to compete level 7 in 2016 compete compulsories in the first half of the season. The only reason they would do it would be to score out. But they generally do that prior to December. It seems like in places with a fall state it's not uncommon for a kid to compete in level 4 or 5 in the fall before she does level 7. And I assume that's partially to impact how their team places at states (not judging, just thinking). With no state meet as a factor, people choose to just do one score out meet if necessary, or if scored out, then they are done competing in May and don't compete again til Nov/Dec then they start level 6/7.

Don't really disagree but it does make the timing a little different because you can knock the score out meets out earlier if there's a fall season. Also, we have no compulsory state meet until May, seems like most gyms want to have a strong team at the state meet so in reality though no one does what you describe. I'm not saying that's a really good or necessary reason but it's just how it goes. Usually people bring judges in in the summer to score out.

But also it sounds like the trends in competing have kind of evolved different in places that have early states vs what I see in a single season state. No one here would really have a child who was going to compete level 7 in 2016 compete compulsories in the first half of the season. The only reason they would do it would be to score out. But they generally do that prior to December. It seems like in places with a fall state it's not uncommon for a kid to compete in level 4 or 5 in the fall before she does level 7. And I assume that's partially to impact how their team places at states (not judging, just thinking). With no state meet as a factor, people choose to just do one score out meet if necessary, or if scored out, then they are done competing in May and don't compete again til Nov/Dec then they start level 6/7.
==
Makes sense, It depends on the gym and reasoning behind why people do the double season. I can tell you that we do the double season for 3 reasons.
1st, nothing breeds hard work ethic like doing well at a meet, n o t h i n g...
2nd reason; getting a few meets under your belt just prior to going optional is very beneficial to the mind.
3rd reason; In our state, if you competed compulsory in the fall then the following year went optional without doing another fall season between, the duration between seasons would be 14 months. That is way too long to not compete in my opinion, (be like practicing football for 14 months without playing a game, B O R I N G :)...
That being said, both states and results (your state vs ours) are the same, meaning your state does not move kids up until the following year because they desire to place well at state, and gyms in our state could be doing it for the very reason or the reasons I stated above. Who knows! :) But It's pretty easy to see who is doing what and why just by looking at the age brackets they fill in L7 each year.

Makes sense about the 14 months, I'm sure that is a factor. We just never have that so usually when you're done with one level you're training the next until Nov/Dec.

I guess in this case that could be a pro since it's a longer season so she could have a bit more time to work on the level 5 routines after scoring out of level 4.

If she is going to do TOPs next summer, I'd think lvl 5 is best? Probably the skills work most compatible with TOPs 8YO testing. Plus it gives her time to work on the TOPs work that is not in a usual practice.

Keep us posted on what the final decision is!!

So I wanted to FINALLY give an update.....final decision was to go as a 6, she competed as a 4 in November and won AA then one week later competed 5 and won AA. She finished her compulsory career undefeated in AA.

First level 6 meet was a disaster, looong story! But she won her second meet (huge meet) and it was decided she would move to level 7. She qualified to State, then qualified to regionals, and she did great!! She was the youngest at both State and Regionals, but she held her own and scored 37.525 AA

She is 8 now and just starting training TOPs so we will see where that takes her. Again thanks for everyone's advise and comments, so many of them stuck with me all season and definitely helped us make the best choices!

Wow, she moved fast. Congrats on all her success. I hope she continues to have fun as she trains TOPS and on ink what next holds season as well.

I'm sorry because I know this will sound harsh, but the idea of a second grader spending 19 hours a week in the gym makes me cringe, regardless of what level it is. A young child does that to please the adults in their lives, just like most things 7 year olds do. It's where their brain and emotional development are. That is just a fact, and as a parent you set limits just like you would for how much ice cream they eat or how much screen time they get, or any other activities they enjoy. Sounds like a recipe for burnout and a broken little body for most kids, even one who coaches think is the next big thing... Their big chance on the road to coach in the big leagues.... or more likely one of 10 with 90 percent broken down along that road in years to come. Never forget as her family you love her most and best. Her childhood is precious.

I'm sorry because I know this will sound harsh, but the idea of a second grader spending 19 hours a week in the gym makes me cringe, regardless of what level it is. A young child does that to please the adults in their lives, just like most things 7 year olds do. It's where their brain and emotional development are. That is just a fact, and as a parent you set limits just like you would for how much ice cream they eat or how much screen time they get, or any other activities they enjoy. Sounds like a recipe for burnout and a broken little body for most kids, even one who coaches think is the next big thing... Their big chance on the road to coach in the big leagues.... or more likely one of 10 with 90 percent broken down along that road in years to come. Never forget as her family you love her most and best. Her childhood is precious.
I respectfully disagree. Yes, limits must be set, but the thought that my child is doing this to please me made me laugh out loud. My child would LIVE at the gym if I let her, and is furious that I refuse to allow her to do open gym on the weekends after (imo) 'already living' at the gym all week. Yes, there are children in this sport who are living their parents' dreams, sad but true...but not all of them are. I know that at my child's gym, in her group of 20 some gymnasts, I would say (per my child's opinion, she shares everything with me) that two of the children are not as into it as the rest of the girls. I also think that if my child quits tomorrow, what she has gained from this sport will carry with her to other aspects of life for the rest of her life. Hell, I don't think it, I KNOW it. Been there, done that myself with a different sport, and I have told her that she can quit gym anytime she wants because it's not about me....all I care about is she has something else in line to do, because sitting in front of the computer or snapchatting is not on the list. This sport has taught my child discipline, time management, and organization. And yes, she still makes time for play and friends and sleepovers etc. And loves her childhood. And as an educator, I am so grateful that she gravitated to a sport that requires discipline and structure and yes, more than one hour a week, because it keeps her busy....sadly, much of our youth today could benefit from being a bit more busy. Not all, obviously, but some.
Sorry, off soapbox now.

Most normally-developing children at age 7 have a strong desire to be "good" aka please the adults in their life. That is a very normal part of development. And while they can sometimes appear to be "super kid" out there because of their gymnastics, gymnastics doesn't speed up their cognitive development.

I didn't says kids don't beg to be in the gym and don't enjoy it, you wouldn't have them there if they didn't. A seven year old in the gym 20 hours a week is there that many hours because of the adults in their lives who allow it and/or encourage it. We (parents, coaches) adults are in charge of, responsible for, and accountable for that 100 percent for 7 year olds. We are in charge of decisions at that age that have long term consequences. Seven year olds do not have the cognitive ability or experience to think about long term consequences. That is a parent's job. Most coaches (the good ones) take responsibility for that too. I specifically referred to a seven year old in the gym 20 hours a week, not a 12 year old. If you don't think a parent's approval is deeply entwined in a 7 year old wanting to be there that much, hey I have a bridge to sell you...

Each child is different. Some love living in the gym, others don't.
Some kids enjoy having more than one sport and some kids can't handle it. it DEPENDS.
20 hours + is not uncommon for L4 and up. Most of the gyms in my area all train between 16 and 21 from L4 and up.
By L9/10 its at least 24hrs and up....elite its 30 and above.

More of a concern is to make sure the body can keep up with the demands and the child is happy, relatively balanced and can still have play dates out of gym.

My Kid is NOT a live in the gym kid........she goes the required hours and misses often when there is too much homework or if there is a family event......she is 11 and thats OK for our family......

Most normally-developing children at age 7 have a strong desire to be "good" aka please the adults in their life. That is a very normal part of development. And while they can sometimes appear to be "super kid" out there because of their gymnastics, gymnastics doesn't speed up their cognitive development.

I didn't says kids don't beg to be in the gym and don't enjoy it, you wouldn't have them there if they didn't. A seven year old in the gym 20 hours a week is there that many hours because of the adults in their lives who allow it and/or encourage it. We (parents, coaches) adults are in charge of, responsible for, and accountable for that 100 percent for 7 year olds. We are in charge of decisions at that age that have long term consequences. Seven year olds do not have the cognitive ability or experience to think about long term consequences. That is a parent's job. Most coaches (the good ones) take responsibility for that too. I specifically referred to a seven year old in the gym 20 hours a week, not a 12 year old. If you don't think a parent's approval is deeply entwined in a 7 year old wanting to be there that much, hey I have a bridge to sell you...
I guess I just bought a bridge. Because my husband and I both fought it, and actually encouraged less hours...but this is something she wants, badly, and so the decision was made---as long as it does not compromise your schooling (most important!) and you are not a grouchy little beast...grouchy little beast equals overtired and a day off must be taken. We don't have many of those, and if we do, it ends up being an illness. And as a teacher of children under age 7 up to age 7, sadly, many of my students did not give a crap about pleasing the adults in their lives. Very, very, very sad. But true. So, as munchkin said, it depends on the child. There truly is no generalization in the sport. And there is no generalization with children either in today's world in terms of cognitive development. Ooh boy, if you saw what I got with 25 students in 1st grade....:eek:
Peace to you.

Well I guess there are enough parents that think 20 plus hours a week in the gym is OK for a seven year old to make it "not uncommon." That's five days a week in the gym for four hours a day. I just think we've all gone a little bananas if we think that's OK.

I am actually a strong advocate of both education (teachers in the family) and sports. A close family member is an elite athlete in a different sport -- one of the lucky ones where talent, hard work, opportunity, sacrifice, parents able to pay for it, and a bit of luck and a lot of being smart about staying healthy in the long term, and the stars all aligned to let them achieve their dream. So I've been a part of, well at least the family cheering section through all the years and am unbelievably proud. This girl though was doing several sports up through age 9, and thankfully was not putting in 20 hours a week into one sport in second grade. I'm pretty sure she would have hung it up instead of ramping it up at eleven/twelve if that had been the case. And that pile of cheering section shirts in my closet would be in someone else's closet.

I don't think a kid needs to be putting in 20 hours a week in the gym at age seven if they have the talent to "go all the way." But if it's become the new normal, well huh, it just makes me dislike the sport a little...

I don't think a kid needs to be putting in 20 hours a week in the gym at age seven if they have the talent to "go all the way." But if it's become the new normal, well huh, it just makes me dislike the sport a little...

Even though I agree that 20 hours would be too much for most 7 year olds, no one but the parents and coaches can say for sure if it's too much for this particular child who seems very talented and driven. She might burn out but she might not...

All I would caution for the OP to do is stay attuned to her daughter's feelings as she progresses in the sport. Mine has been competing since age 6 and since turning 12 (in 6th grade), she has been questioning whether she wants to continue. Each summer, we have asked (before meet fees start) if she wanted to commit to another season. This is the first season that she honestly doesn't know and may very well be done. I would just emphasize to the OP that whether her daughter has the talent to go "all the way" to elite or not, always listen and let her know that she has support regardless. Good luck to her!

Unfortunately, gymnastics is not a sport where the norm is to do it recreationally. It is an all in kind of sport. The Kool-aid is what it is and everyone drinks it....coaches, parents, kids........it's how a few make it to the top. Hours ramp up quickly, commitment is complete. That is USAG.

For the 7 year old that is moving quickly- IMO it does not matter if they go 9 or 20 hours....they WILL progress quickly either way- either quickly now and slow down later, or slower now, and faster later.........'That' kid will get to whatever level they want to.....the strategy of the parents will be critical but OP is a coach so I would assume she knows this. She posted about her concerns so she will be keeping an eye out for burn out, and her physical state.

OP- Don't worry what everyone else is doing (your DD clearly is NOT the average)
Do what is right for her! And for your family! Keep her dreams alive, don't pressure her....keep her balanced.

Can't wait to see some videos one day!!!!

Any 7 year old who has moved up that quickly and is scoring 37+ in optional levels is an outlier. Probably in the neighborhood of top 1% of gymnasts her age. So, I agree that for the average talented 7 yr old, 20 hours is probably excessive, but this sounds like an exceptional child...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back