7 yr olds - back tuck advice/drills

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

H

hank123

hi i am starting to teach back tucks to pre team kids soon

any coaches out there who have good drills for beginners?

all girls have a solid ro, bhs with a very big rebound. all girls are tight with nice form.

Just have them do some back tucks off mats or on the tramp. Then just spot them and tell them to set before they flip and they should be fine to go : )

Just have them do some back tucks off mats or on the tramp. Then just spot them and tell them to set before they flip and they should be fine to go : )

This is what my DD was doing this week - spotted back tucks on tramp and off a block. She's only level 4, but our gym usually lets the girls uptrain a bit and safely get a taste of some of the harder skills just after a meet, when they take a short break from routines.

no reason to teach back tucks to pre team kids- except if want to think of yourself as super coach. Better to do lots of shaping/conditioning/ basics-the compulsory coaches will thank you for forsight and patience, and the optional coaches will probably kiss you feet for building a solid foundation for them to build on.

pre team meaning level 4 currently, working level 5 skills.... in canada..they need their back tuck for level 5 in canada so, just teaching required skills (not trying to be super coach)

as for shaping, conditioning and basics, we have always and really...will always do tons..i've had these kids since they were 4, and they're now 7, and ready, just need good drills, besides spotting ones , i need more stations on the side

my dd learnt them and she is 6. She started by doing them on tramp. She had to jump onto her back and go over ending up on her feet. Once she could do that the moved her to the edge of the pit where she jumped and tucked where the coach then helped her over. The other thing her coached told her was it was a back flip with no hands so to jump higher which she did and got it, then she told her to grab her knees when she goes over. She learnt how to do it in a week. Don't ask me how but she found it easier then front saults. After that she would then do a round off back flip then she would stop do one jump the back tuck. until she was good at it now does it altogether. I am not a coach so excuse my way of saying things, I just saw her coach teach her and was amazed by how she did it.

makes sense hank 123. I do LOTs of jump candles up to a resi, 3 small tight back rolls in a row w/ out using their hands, and some others I found on the workout wednesdays sesction of the site gymnastike.com. They did a workout w makenzie brannan's gym (last summer? so you would ahve to spend some time surfing) that had a lot of good back flipping drills.

ya what newtogym said just have fun with it and b carful ....... tri some thin like i big mat like a wale mat and have them jump on there bac 10 or 11 times and then move to a chees mat and spot them then move to the floor and spot them when u fill like they can do it and they do 2 then let them tri bye there self GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!=)

I use the candlestick to resi (or stacked 8 in mats in the abscence of a resi), I do drills where they lay flat on the ground with their hands above their heads and then have them pull their knees hard to execute a back-roll without using their hands, backdrops to a backward roll on trampoline, standing tucks on floor with a solid spot and HUGE emphasis on correct technique, and lots of tucks on the tramp. My two biggest concerns when teaching this skill is the safety of the gymnast and execution using correct technique (as with any other skill). Hope that helps.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back