A spin off from the other elite thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to judge other families for their choices and that's what I don't like. Just because a decision isn't right for me or you doesn't make it wrong for another family. I'm sure decisions about gymnastics when you have a super talented kid aren't taken lightly. I'm sure the parents spend many months agonizing over what the right choice is for their child.

And I have seen the other side of the coin in regards to people judging as well. I have heard quite a few posters comment on how repeating levels is a "waste of time" and if their kid isn't scoring a certain AA score then they should quit the sport because why bother if they aren't that good anyway. Gymnastics is a sport with many levels and varying degrees of involvement. Not everyone puts their kid in gymnastics to become eilte or make the olympic team or even win medals. Some parents enroll their kid in gymnastics for just an opportunity to get some exercise and make new friends. And just because a child isn't super-talented, they still have every right to participate in the sport as anybody else.

And I have seen the other side of the coin in regards to people judging as well. I have heard quite a few posters comment on how repeating levels is a "waste of time" and if their kid isn't scoring a certain AA score then they should quit the sport because why bother if they aren't that good anyway. Gymnastics is a sport with many levels and varying degrees of involvement. Not everyone puts their kid in gymnastics to become eilte or make the olympic team or even win medals. Some parents enroll their kid in gymnastics for just an opportunity to get some exercise and make new friends. And just because a child isn't super-talented, they still have every right to participate in the sport as anybody else.
You are so right on! But with that same thought, we all just need to repect one another's views. I am on this high road for what ever my child gets out of it. At her tender age of seven she has benefitted so much because of gymnastics. She started out on team as a four year old. Now at seven, she had the nerve to tryout for her school's talent show. I didn't know how serious she was about it, but frankly it seemed like she wanted to do this on her own. She and her friend planned a skit on their own that did not even involve gymnastics. I was ecstatic when she told me that sh even tried out.
All kids are winners! Let's just let them find there way in life and always vow that we will help them in all we can.

Thank you for saying that so well.

My grandmother always told me, "When you point your finger at someone, three fingers point right back at you". It taught me to look at myself first and to try and not to pass judgement because what is right for one person isn't alway right for others.

My dd falls into that group that struggles and has to repeat levels but she enjoys what she is doing. I don't post her meet results here because frankly while we are so proud of them (yes even the low scores), I don't want them/her to be scrutinized. I'm just as proud as her 4.3 on bars as I am about her 8.95 on vault because I know how hard she works to get there.

I'm thankfull that there are gyms out there that cater to the talented gymnats and the gymnasts that stive to be elite. But I'm just as thankful that there are laid back gyms that are willing to work with the kids that want to compete without the high pressure because frankly no matter how hard my dd works, she just can't get those big scores.

I can't take the "what if" path because my dd isn't on the elite track. It isn't the card we were dealt but for other families facing that decision, then I'm sure they put lots of thought into whatever decision they make and even though it may not make sense to me, it is the right choice for them.

Very well spoken Sunobo!!! And I can guarantee, the majority of girls out there doing this sport are probably more like your DD (and mine too). Are they progressing? Yes. Are they having fun? Yes (for the most part except on those "frustrated" days). Are they keeping in shape nad keeping busy? YES YES YES.

Thank you for saying that so well.

My grandmother always told me, "When you point your finger at someone, three fingers point right back at you". It taught me to look at myself first and to try and not to pass judgement because what is right for one person isn't alway right for others.

My dd falls into that group that struggles and has to repeat levels but she enjoys what she is doing. I don't post her meet results here because frankly while we are so proud of them (yes even the low scores), I don't want them/her to be scrutinized. I'm just as proud as her 4.3 on bars as I am about her 8.95 on vault because I know how hard she works to get there.

I'm thankfull that there are gyms out there that cater to the talented gymnats and the gymnasts that stive to be elite. But I'm just as thankful that there are laid back gyms that are willing to work with the kids that want to compete without the high pressure because frankly no matter how hard my dd works, she just can't get those big scores.

I can't take the "what if" path because my dd isn't on the elite track. It isn't the card we were dealt but for other families facing that decision, then I'm sure they put lots of thought into whatever decision they make and even though it may not make sense to me, it is the right choice for them.

And thank you too Sunobo! I'm like you, I don't post scores or brags either. And I don't think there is anyone is more proud of their kid than I am;), LOL! I'm amazed she has stuck with this sport as long as she has! At 16yrs old, I'm just glad my DD has a something she loves to do that also keeps her healthy, fit & challenged. An added bonus are her teammates that are like a 2nd family to her. I'd venture to say there are more parents like you & I posting on CB then there are parents of future elite gymnasts here.

Not that I wouldn't love to hear about the experiences of actual elite gymnasts & their journey. In fact, I would really love to hear some of the experiences of actual elite gymnast. But we don't seem to get much of that on CB:(. It's more just parents of very young gymmies speculating & dreaming about "going elite someday".

Dreams are fine. I'm not trying to squash anyones dreams or tell them what to do. I think a lot of the "elite" threads on CB speak for themselves. Why aren't there alot of posts by elite gymnasts or their parents? Why aren't there more posts from people in this actual position, say a L10 that could go elite but chooses not too? Or actual competing elite gymnast? I would suppose it's because not many gymnast make it that far(or even WANT to go that route to start with). Or maybe they are just too busy at the gym to post;)! But yeah, I'd love to hear from someone who is actually CLOSE to having to make that type of decision. And hear their views on it. How they are weighing their ACTUAL decision. I think that would be very interesting.

On the topic of "dreaming". My DD wants to be Tina Fey when she grows up:rolleyes:! Is it a realistic dream for her...hmmm? Who am I to squash her dream??? She is really funny:D! Maybe I should I move my whole family to NYC to chase this dream:rolleyes:? I mean is it really anymore far off then a 7yr old dreaming about going elite? We can all have our own dreams right:D???

Ok I'm done now...I'll go take my meds for the day;).

I'm missing the point in this thread where anyone said anything to the contrary.

You seriously have never forgave them for it? Not judging, just seems a little extreme. For every person like you, there's a person like me who wouldn't have cared less. I was pretty much over high school by the end of my freshman year and was ready to move on. I've never been into the whole social drama of high school or adult life for that matter. I think as a high schooler I was mature enough to not think only about my needs. I have 4 siblings and would have been happy to support them and I would have loved the adventure of moving to a new place.

My mom had to move her senior year, and she still has not gotten over it (she's 65). She's not moping around or bitter, just when she talks about it, she gets sad, and tells me how much she wanted to stay at her other school. So yes, people do hold that for the rest of their lives. More people like this than like you, in my experience.

How many times can I " Like" Sunobo's and particularly gymjourneymom's posts??

I echo your sentiments!!!

I'm missing the point in this thread where anyone said anything to the contrary.

NGL--you quoted earlier:

"I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to judge other families for their choices and that's what I don't like. Just because a decision isn't right for me or you doesn't make it wrong for another family."

And I am just saying that there are others that are quick to judge on this very same contrary. You mentioned that you do not like it when posters judge the families that WILL pack up their family and move across the country for their Level 7 or what have you gymnast so they can reach their dream. It may be totally normal for some families to switch gyms every couple a months until they find that magic gym that will take their dd all the way. But on the other hand, there are some posters that are reading meet reports and scratching their heads saying "OMG, are you kidding me?? I would not be posting those scores, I would be sooo embarrased for my kid." There is a certain tone from posters like this than come across even if they do not actually type out the words. So, while you are upset or do not like that people will judge the posters that dream big and want their gymmies to go all the way, other posters probably get annoyed or do not like when posters keep a balanced gymnast and let them experience other activities besides gymnastics and just let them have "fun" with it and enjoy the experience.

I was just stating that there are two sides to every coin and gymnastics is NOT black and white, or all or nothing. There are many shades of gray and varying hues between.

AMEN!

(what happened to the like button?)

i was just going to ask that same question^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I just got this from Twitter (USAG): "Did you know the odds of making it to The Olympics is one in 22 million? Coach Ty explains what most Olympians have in common. http://bit.ly/coachtyblog2" For gymnasts, it may be even greater, since now only the top 5 gymnasts get to even go, and then its 3 up 3 count. Very, very tough odds.

Not that I think striving for elite is for everyone and it is not something I am actively thinking about for my daughter. But my thought is that if everyone let the odds stop them, then we would have no elite level program in this country, and wouldn't that be boring and disappointing? Isn't it fun to watch on tv even if its someone else's child and only 6 of them from the entire country made it? And, don't the odds make it even more exciting to watch them knowing what they had to have gone through to get there? And, I don't know if it's true in gymnastics but it is in other sports ... not all athletes were born with natural talents such that they are just magically destined to be the only possible stars. Many had to work their butts off to get their talents.

Btw, GAgymmom, this is not a targeted message to criticize you or your post. Your post just seemed to capture what some others were saying about striving for elite.

NGL--you quoted earlier:

"I feel like a lot of people on here are so quick to judge other families for their choices and that's what I don't like. Just because a decision isn't right for me or you doesn't make it wrong for another family."

And I am just saying that there are others that are quick to judge on this very same contrary. You mentioned that you do not like it when posters judge the families that WILL pack up their family and move across the country for their Level 7 or what have you gymnast so they can reach their dream. It may be totally normal for some families to switch gyms every couple a months until they find that magic gym that will take their dd all the way. But on the other hand, there are some posters that are reading meet reports and scratching their heads saying "OMG, are you kidding me?? I would not be posting those scores, I would be sooo embarrased for my kid." There is a certain tone from posters like this than come across even if they do not actually type out the words. So, while you are upset or do not like that people will judge the posters that dream big and want their gymmies to go all the way, other posters probably get annoyed or do not like when posters keep a balanced gymnast and let them experience other activities besides gymnastics and just let them have "fun" with it and enjoy the experience.

I was just stating that there are two sides to every coin and gymnastics is NOT black and white, or all or nothing. There are many shades of gray and varying hues between.

I don't read every single post on this board, but I read enough to say that I have NEVER read anyone be critical of an average gymnast on here. I have never read anything that even sounded like someone suggesting that an average gymnast shouldn't be doing this sport or is wasting their time. So you are either reading posts that I somehow missed or you are reading something between the lines that I am not seeing. I feel if anything this board is much nicer to average folks and tend to gang up on people who either express interest in their child striving for the elite level, think their kid is talented enough to reach that level, or have a child who is clearly above average. I see judgement towards those types of posts above and beyond anything else.

I don't blame any parent whose child is headed that direction for not posting here because they would be met with so much negativity, while there is much encouragement and positivity towards those who struggle.

I just thought it was an interesting statistic, and it was covering ALL Olympic sports. That's why I said it must be even greater odds for Gymnasts, as there are even fewer chances in the next Olympics since now they will only take 5.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back