A spin off from the other elite thread

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

Okay the other thread about when a kid wanting to do elite needs to be at an elite gym got me thinking. I know this is a touchy subject here at times, but who here thinks/hopes/wants/dreams that their child might make it to the elite level someday?

For my child I don't have any such thought. If she ever turned out to be really good at gymnastics and really wanted to try such a path I'd try to support her within reason. I don't think she'll want that path and I don't think she's probably good enough either, but she's only 6 years old and a low level (5), so too early to tell what she might want.

I do hope that she will stick with gymnastics and I do hope/dream that maybe she'll be one of the lucky few to reach Level 10 and get a college scholarship. I know the chances are slim. As a long time fan of gymnastics, I enjoy college gymnastics more than the elite level anyway. College gym is like elite of the early 90's when I first got hooked as a gym fan.

So share and hopefully nobody will burst anyone's bubble because this is the dream thread, not the reality thread.

I do not think it is a touchy subject. However parents wanting it and pushing their kids for it, like crazy people, is a very touchy subject!

My oldest wanted to try out at an "elite" gym at 7/8, we said no. It wasn't for our family. So I guess I never wanted it.

I don't think my daughter has the flexibility and internal discipline to ever go elite. She says she wants to go to the Olympics and she wants to win lots of medals. She wants to be famous and on TV doing her gymnastics. I smile and tell her how hard she would have to work to make those dreams come true but honestly, I just don't see it.

However, I will do what I can to let her go as far as she can. She's not at an elite gym and I don't even know where the closest gym is to us so I don't see how that could ever happen. Her gift is power but her weakness is artistry. I think to go all the way, you probably have to have both.

I know that we don't. DD will sometimes say she wants to go to the Olympics, but it changes day to day what sport she wants to compete in. LOL! Honestly, we're just taking it year to year. I ask her before I start paying meet fees if she is ready to commit to another season (just asked this recently since we are scheduled to start paying this month). We have no long term goals for gymnastics. And if we did, I know there would have to be a move involved since there are no elite gyms in the state we live in. That's something I'm not sure we'd be willing to do.

How ironic that you posted this today! My family visted a historic little village in our area today, and we had some great family time. We visted our favorite little garden store, and it was there that I heard DD first utter that 'word'- ELITE. It was rather innocent. We saw some adorable little frog sculptures in many cute poses. Some looked like poses from DD's floor routine. I even teased DS and said one looked like him. That didn't go over too well!
Anyways, DD said something to the effect- "When I am an elite I will..." and she proceeded to show me a leg-up-flexibility move. My husband and I looked at each other as if to say, "Yikes!"
DD is only 7, WAY too young to really know what she wants. Right now she is loving every minute of her entire life in and out of the gym. I originally put her in gym to keep her off the streets and doing something to keep her fit. Wherever she goes with this thing-gymnastics-we will definitely go with her. One thing I have learned with my children is that I could never force them to do anything, they are too much like me in that respect. With that said, I will always be right here with DD, but that also means that I am right there with her siblings as well. Elite is very time consuming. I don't know if I have that in me. If DD showed that SHE wanted it then as a family we would have to sit down and discuss it. I do believe that as her "Momma' I owe it to her to provide her with all opportunities. Let's just see what happens.

I was most proud of myself when I said to her after she made that 'elite' comment, "Oh yeah!" and we moved on. There's no getting 'sucked-in' and acting CRAZY here!!

To me there is such a difference between being a level 10 and being an elite. Early on coaches thought my oldest daughter had what it took to be an elite. Early on I thought she might also. However, as she progressed in gymnastics, I realized that she probably had MOST of what it takes to become elite. However, she has too many fears. While she is going into her 3rd year of level 10 at 16 and is a 2 time JO qualifier and has been extremely successful in gymnastics, that fear factor would have kept her back from progressing to that elite level. That is okay with me. IMO, level 10 is difficult enough for both a gymnast and her family to deal with!

LOL, I am a NASCAR fan too JBS! What about that race this weekend? I had Burton in my hubby's pool, UGH...and Jr fans were happy...til he ran out of gas! Ok, back the your regularly scheduled "elite" post...which my daughter doesn't talk about because she just loves all sports too much. She loves gym and strives to make goals and be the best that she can be, but she also loves to dive (dive team in Summer), play softball, field hockey, and recently enjoyed a 5 k race!

When my dd was 6ish, she too would say from time to time that she wanted to go to the Olympics. My response to her was "I think you should focus on college gymnastics not the Olympics." Call me a dream crusher, but the Olympics were an unrealistic dream for her, college was an obtainable dream. As she got older, I would of definitely done my part as a parent if she wanted to persue the elite path, but she was very adamant about NOT wanting to persue elite, she wanted to focus on JO. Just want to say that I know that even if she were to persue and obtain elite status, she would of never been in the caliber of National Team level of elite. I don't think this is a bad thing to say about my child, just being realistic. She's still a great gymnast to me!

We had a girl at our gym who was on the National team a couple of years ago and after she (and the coach) would return from camp every 6 weeks-ish, the coach would always talk to the rest of the girls. I have no idea what conversations they had, but I'm guessing hearing the way things really worked down there definitely had some bearing on her making her own decisions. I'm glad she knows what she wants and I know she will stick with the sport through HS and God willing, college.

She's running the marathon, injuries and all!

I do not think it is a touchy subject. However parents wanting it and pushing their kids for it, like crazy people, is a very touchy subject!

My oldest wanted to try out at an "elite" gym at 7/8, we said no. It wasn't for our family. So I guess I never wanted it.

LOL I'm in the same camp as you and NGL780309, what will be will be :) in my DD's gym journey but elite doesn't seem to be for our family but hopeful for college. The elite road is definately a challenge for the gymnast and family but I do enjoy watching those talented kids who truely amazes me with what they can do :D.

Ok, back the your regularly scheduled "elite" post...which my daughter doesn't talk about because she just loves all sports too much. She loves gym and strives to make goals and be the best that she can be, but she also loves to dive (dive team in Summer), play softball, field hockey, and recently enjoyed a 5 k race!

Same with us too Blackie!!! My dd doesn't mention "elite" or "olympics" or even college gymnastics. She takes it pretty much one day and skill at a time. Her big goal isn't even gymnastics related--she desperately wants the part of "Fritz" (Clara's younger brother) in the Nutcracker--auditions are in September. While dd isn't too into the "ball sports", she does love her ballet and the two shows they put on each year. And in the summer, she loves swimming, hanging with friends and running around the neighborhood. I think she understands and accepts her limitations with gymnastics and just has fun with it :).

There are absolutely no dreams of being an elite gymnast here (in fact, I'm pretty sure my dd doesn't even know that there is such a thing). She is at more of a rec gym with no optionals, so I'll be amazed if she sticks with it until she hits that level even. I will support whatever my dd wants to do 100% as much as possible while taking into consideration finances and the needs of the rest of our family, whether it be for gym or some other sport or activity.

My DD has always been at a college bound L10 type gym, not an elite gym. Some of our JO girls have done well at Nationals and they are awesome:D!!! We've also had a couple of VERY talented girls move onto elite gyms. They were amazing!!! I'm talking they could pick up BIG skills like it was nothing and they were ready for more. It was just obvious that they had something special. My DD watched & learned from these girls. But she saw right away she wasn't 'that kind of gymnast'. Kids with the "it factor" are rare & amazing to watch. When you see one you know it & you just start hoping that they can make it for the long haul:)! But they are few & far between to start with & then they still have a marathon to endure.

My DD never once mentioned going to the Olympics or becoming elite. Others would make comments like "I'm I going to see you at the Olympics one day?" & she would say "Naaa, I'm not THAT kind of gymnast". It was never something she even dreamed of. Her comments would be more like "Someday when I get my own floor routine I'm going to do this move". Guess my kid has always been a realist;). And you know what? She has reached her realistic goals & she is happy & still in this sport at 16yrs old. In fact, just last night she was checking out new floor music & planning for her next new floor routine:D. So her dream continues!!! She always has a new goal for herself & THAT'S what she loves about this sport!!! It constantly challenges her to challenge herself. She's never needed a big dream of Olympics or Elite...just making it through JO can be wonderful goal & something to be VERY proud of!

We've always just taken this sport year to year. And each year she has stayed with it, I've been totally proud of that accomplishment right there! She doesn't need BIG dreams, small attainable ones seem to be working well for my DD:)!

I just didn't want this to turn into another thread where people feel the need to remind people of the reality of making it. I just wanted it to be a fantasy thread. I think ultimately it has to be the child's choice. I can't get my DD to clean her room so I don't know how I could get her to do gymnastics if she truly didn't want to!

My DD doesn't honestly know what elite is. She doesn't even know what level she is! She's so completely clueless about everything. She has no idea about scores even though she's competed. I'm not sure if it's her age or what, but I'll take it as long as possible. I hope she'll remain that way through at least a few more seasons. She doesn't even like to watch gymnastics so she doesnt have a lot of clue who the famous gymnasts are.

From the girls I've seen do Level 10 vs Elite, it seems like Level 10 is more fun while also still extremely difficult gymnastics. My friends DD went to an elite gym, but she was doing Level 10. They had the most fun while the elite group seemed less so. Very pressured filled and lots of unhappy kids. Not saying it's always that way, just her experience.

NOT ME!

If DD wants it I will cross that bridge when and if necessary.

I have no dreams of her becoming either an Olympian and/or an elite gymnast. I just really want her to stay in shape and find enjoyment in a sport.

I know enough about the trials and tribulations of being an elite gymnast. So its feasibility in our family may be an issue. My DD's coach has the elite route mapped out for my DD. But since we've not had an elite in over a decade, I don't know if the gym we are in can get her there. In addition, there are so many other variables. As a mother, I wish/hope the best for my DD and everytime I see her on that podium beaming with happiness, I can't help but wish her continued and bigger successes. In all honesty, I only wish and hope for what my DD wishes and hopes for, no more and no less.

My DD doesn't honestly know what elite is. She doesn't even know what level she is! She's so completely clueless about everything. She has no idea about scores even though she's competed. I'm not sure if it's her age or what, but I'll take it as long as possible. I hope she'll remain that way through at least a few more seasons. She doesn't even like to watch gymnastics so she doesnt have a lot of clue who the famous gymnasts are.

My daughter is very "number" driven. The minute she found out she was an L2, she immediately started asking what she needed to do to get to L3. And then when our gym decided to stop competing L3, she was stoked to be an L4. When she was first learning fractions this year, she started estimating what fraction of a gymnastics level she was...did the same thing with her age although that's a little more measurable.

I don't know if it is excitement or being so competitive. I feel like I'm always urging her to slow down and enjoy the ride. She is constantly trying to figure out which skills she will need to have for her next level. The kid taught herself a back walkover earlier this month. I guess she decided that's what she needed "next". Right now, she's on a front handspring/front walkover kick and practices though constantly. I should remind her that what she really needs is her splits!!!

She asked at a very early age what the highest level in gymnastics was and said that's what she was going to be. I still maintain that she won't make it when she begins to process how much sacrifice upper level and elite gymnasts sacrifice though. She is so social that I can't imagine her giving up as much as she would have to in order to compete at those high levels. But her enthusiasm is fun and like I said, I'll let her go as far as she can within my means.

Ok, since this is the "Dream/Fantasy" Thread...

Wouldn't it be great to have drama-free seasons of gymnastics? Where EVERYONE on the team got along famously (there always seems to be that one parent/gymnast who likes to cause trouble or is never happy with anything), and everyone (parents included) were satisfied with their dd's level and skill progression? Where the coaches were positive, encouraging, and fair to all gymnasts all the time? Where there was no talk of next year, or next season or when they get to level x, and everyone lived in the moment and appreciated it for all it's glory no matter what level their child was at? Ahhhh...one can dream...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back