Parents aau for first year?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilymom

Proud Parent
My daughter has been training level 3 usag this summer. we recently found out that our gym is no longer going to be competing usag and might do aau for our littler ones. My daughter is 5 and wouldn't be able to compete usag until the end of the season so coach thinks this is a great way to get her competing and comfortable. She will continue training the same hours and same technique and skill she was going to as usag level 3 but compete at aau.
does this make sense? Would you do this or find a new gym? we love our coach but I want to make sure my daughter is on the right track and I don't really understand too much about the differences between the 2. We can switch from aau to usag in a year or 2 correct?
Any input/thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks!

She would be find to switch to USAG in a year or two. Around here everyone competes AAU for 2 and 3 and then the USAG switch over is at level 4 for those who want that. Many continue to compete AAU or will do AAU between levels or in the "off-season".

I wouldn't change gyms over this as long as you are happy with the gym otherwise.

both of my girls competed AAU last year (level 2 and 3). Their old gym was swapping to all USAG this year and the gym we swapped to is also all USAG. I don't think that it hurt them to swap from AAU to USAG. The only down side I have seen is that my DD who is now (new) level 3 has never done the mill circle for competitions before; but all of her team mates had to do it last year. So this year she has had to learn it/polish it when they all already had it.

My daughter also did our state's version of aau last year for level 3. It was cheaper and less hours/meets than usag, and it gave us an idea if she liked learning routines and attending meets before we committed to usag. She enjoyed the experience. The downside is that they spent 4 months on those routines and skills with not enough time for conditioning. They didn't have time to learn level 4 skills either. I'm sure each gym handles that balance differently.

The decision has been made...the gym was ablento bring back the usag program so now she is back to level 3 usag. Guess all the wondering and searching for nothing! :) she is thrilled she gets to be with the coach she wanted are all. Thanks!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Just wanted to add that our gym does AAU until level 5 (old 6). They score out of USAG 4 after competing the AAU season first. When we did USAG our compulsories were nothing spectacular, but when we switched they have repeatedly been spectacular teams, all levels always in the top 10 at state, and winning state. The switch is easy and doesn't hinder their USAG track. It actually helps them prepare better by having them jump to high bar sooner, and doing th cartwheel on beam sooner (which gives them a chance to perfect it by level 4). And it cost less--meets are cheaper to enter, lower admission fees, and lower membership fee by $40. Our gymnasts do not train less hours just because they train AAU.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back