Aerial/Flipping Skills Help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey Chalkbucket!

I'm moving up into level 8 soon, and I was thinking that it's pretty important that I'd know how to do aerial skills and other skills such as standing back tucks.

Firstly, I can do front aerials on the trampoline. I have a flexible back, so I think that they will be easy for me to pick up.

I can't really do side aerials on the trampoline and tumble track. But I can do them from a ton a running steps on the floor occasionally.

Lastly, back aerials are okay for me. I can do them standing on the tumble track, but I can't connect them very well from back handsprings. I can't do them on the floor though.

Probably the most important skill is the standing back tuck. Most Level 7's can do them, but my coaches have been holding off on teaching me because I've constantly been in competition mode. At one point, I could do them standing off of a small panel mat, but now I've lost them. I can do them on the trampoline and on the tumble track with no problems.

Please help me! These are very important to me, and in order for me to advance well enough in the higher levels, these are going to be crucial.

Thanks! Any advice at all, even if you think it's weird!

-Lauren

Dear GymCatGirl,

With every skill in gymnastics comes practice. If you are already able to do back tucks on both trampoline and tumble track with proper technique and no problems, then you should be able to progress. I would advise you practice standing back tucks everyday into a foam pit (maybe off of a panel mat) or possibly do them off of a spotting block (about 3ft tall) onto an 8inch mat if you feel comfortable, always ask for a spot if you are not confident.

With repetition, eventually you will be ale to reduce the height in which you are flipping off of and come to the floor level.

Practice, Practice, Practice! Good Luck! I hope this has helped :)

- Jessica

For Standing BT's the progressions I used (this may be obvious) were off a block, off a beat board onto a sting mat, off a beat board onto a mat the same height as the beat board, and then eventually with a foam/less bouncy beat board onto the same mat. From there i just got my coach to spot a bunch on the floor and kept practicing.
Two things that helped me get my standing back tuck were making sure to set as high as possible and think about rotating super fast.
For the set i think about watching a spot on the wall as long as possible when i set so i go up as high as i can before starting the rotation - don't rush it too much or you will lose height.

For the side aerials start by practicing off a beat board and/or off a wedge. I think it is fine to run far when you are first starting. I did, then when i got the technique down I started making my run shorter until i got it after a small hurdle..and then eventually i guess you will want to be able to just step into it. (I haven't worked on that yet either - no reason to yet). For your aerial think about pushing through your legs and throwing through your arms. It helped me to specifically think about pushing off hard from my legs, throwing my head under my body while whipping my legs to the ground. Coaches never really mentioned it to me, but thinking about whipping your legs down fast really helped.

Congrats for moving up to level 8 and good luck with everything!!

Last edited:
The only point of advice I would have is get off the tumble trak and trampoline. Even though these are very good places to work form and aerial awareness, they can hinder back tumbling progressions.
The side aerial uses legs for the lift and quite a bit of the flip, the tumble trak does too much of the work for you.
Keep focusing on the Up part of the skills then the turn over.
good luck

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back