Parents ALWAYS complaining ....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Did she complain of these sort of things before gymnastics? My eldest always complained when she was little and I remember even taking her to the doctor about it after a year or more of constant complaining about her knee (aged 3ish). The doctor agreed she was just a hypochondriac, lol.
But now she's older and more knowledgeable about her body we know she really suffers from growing pains. So I think that's probably what it was.
But on the other hand she still likes to tell you about every single ache/bump she has, lol, just her personality. She actually surprisingly has a high pain threshold for all her whining.

But if it's new since gymnastics I'd wonder if it is to get out of some aspect of gymnastics. I know of a girl who is just like that, always icing something, complaining about something to get out of training.

She's been in gym her whole life. She was one of the "wild" children, so we started at the Mommy and Me level at 14 months old.
I really don't think it's anxiety about the gym. She tells me that it's her favorite thing to do. When she grows up she's either going to be a pop star or a gym coach. Plus..... conditioning is even her most favorite part of gymnastics! DD LOVES working out. She's just accident prone and klutzy. She's always tripping or whacking her head on something.

I've probably just been buying into her minor injuries too often recently.

Oh geez! (She just walked into the room.) I forgot to mention that she's ALWAYS HUNGRY! Hungry and hurt, hurt and hungry. Maybe she's just bored and needs to go back to gym!!!!!

Growing pains are a real thing... I went through them terribly as a child (from age 5-9 it was TERRIBLE!!!!!) I was also diagnosed with a degenerative knee disease in 3rd grade (Rx= No running, No sports, No gaining weight, Do these special knee exercises... I did the knee exercises and tried not to run... outside of sports, lol).
Both of my gymmies also suffer with growing pains. Worse when they were younger, but still doing massages on the younger one 2-3 nights a week (legs from ankle to thigh) and the older one 1-2 times a week (She has knee, ankle, and wrist problems). The doctor suggested the massages when they were very young because there was nothing showing up on x-rays or scans. Doc has also suggested bracing knees and ankles and most recently, the wrists.
Good luck with your gymmie.

My DD has always been like this, and she is 10 now! Something always hurts (usually head or stomach but not always). I always say to her ' just go to training and do what you can. If it gets really bad, tell the coach'. She nearly always goes to gym and then trains as normal. I think some kids do get niggly aches and pains, perhaps from growing (although I still get them now at times), but they don't necessarily indicate an injury or serious problem. The trick for the parent is knowing when it is serious.

If you (mom) suspect that she is seeking attention then she is.

I am wondering if she sees someone else in her life constantly complaining and is copying? Such as a relative, sibling or even an older teammate?

If it is an attention-seeking thing, she might need more attention, not less.. just not tied to her complaints. Kids need attention, it's normal.

I totally agree with this. Attention seekers get trapped into the wrong kind of attention. It can a really concerted effort to redirect it into something more positive.

Just an idea, but I would try the route of if she is hurting enough to limp through the store, has to have ice packs on when she gets home, then she is obviously too injured to be jumping on the bed. Or, sorry honey, you hurt your ankles, you have to stay home and read a book instead of going to the park.

Her coach thinks she is running too hard to the vault. She's digging into the floor. I really don't know. They rarely work vault, and usually it's just flat backs.
DD is also tall for her age (4'2"). Not sure if her body is sore from growing? Are growing pains a real thing?

I almost always attribute random pain (especially the kind felt at bedtime) to growing pains. I have fast growing kids. Real or not, some kids like a "diagnosis" for their random aches.

I am wondering if she sees someone else in her life constantly complaining and is copying? Such as a relative, sibling or even an older teammate?

In fact, DH had back surgery this summer. For an entire year prior, he was constantly complaining about how much pain he was in. Then there was the surgery. Perhaps DD thinks it's normal to be 'in pain' so much? Interesting.

Just an idea, but I would try the route of if she is hurting enough to limp through the store, has to have ice packs on when she gets home, then she is obviously too injured to be jumping on the bed. Or, sorry honey, you hurt your ankles, you have to stay home and read a book instead of going to the park.

^^ That's how I know if she's faking. With her knee, she asked her soccer coach if she could play defender or goalie instead of midfielder. She never plays anything but midfielder or forward.

Thanks everyone for the responses. I know it's not gym related, but something else going on. Perhaps, she's just sitting at home too much and coming up with problems. Maybe she's just mimicking her dad. IDK. I'm definitely sick of it. Unfortunately, it's very difficult for me to tell the difference between a real injury and a fake/minor injury. She's a very good actress. :rolleyes:

In fact, DH had back surgery this summer. For an entire year prior, he was constantly complaining about how much pain he was in. Then there was the surgery. Perhaps DD thinks it's normal to be 'in pain' so much? Interesting.

My kids do this too... DH had knee surgery last year, and older DD went on about her knee for a while afterward (there was nothing wrong with her knee). Then younger DD (2 years old!) started doing it too. And now younger DD keeps saying she has a tummy ache... I just don't know what to do with these kids! We try not to talk about our aches and pains in front of the kids now, because then they copy us and we realize what complainers we sound like (but we're old! we get to complain, right?).

Maybe read her The Boy Who Cried Wolf and then have a discussion about how you can't tell if she's really injured.

If none of the above sound right consider this long shot, hmmmm maybe, guess.

from wikipedia:

Sensory processing disorders are classified into three broad categories: sensory modulation disorder, sensory based motor disorders and sensory discrimination disorders.[6][7][8]

• Sensory modulation disorder (SMD) consists of over-responding,[9] or under-responding to sensory stimuli or seeking sensory stimulation. Sensory modulation refers to a complex central nervous system process[10] by which neural messages that convey information about the intensity, frequency, duration, complexity, and novelty of sensory stimuli are adjusted.[11] Subtypes are over-responsivity, under-responsivity and sensory craving (seeking)[12]
This group may include a fearful and/or anxious pattern, negative and/or stubborn behaviors, self-absorbed behaviors that are difficult to engage or creative or actively seeking sensation.[12]
  • Sensory discrimination disorder (SDD), or incorrect processing of sensory information. Incorrect processing of visual or auditory input, for example, may be seen in inattentiveness, disorganization, and poor school performance. Subtypes are: visual, auditory, tactile, taste/smell, position/movement, interoception.
My oldest had the most bizarre reactions to everyday things that we decided he needed professional help. The above ended up being a large part of his problem.

well, some people just like to whine and complain. it's part of the human condition. sometimes...you just got to tell them to shut the heck up. :) (this is Dunno tongue in cheek humor. don't shoot me.) :)

I wonder if this is related to Sensory Processing Disorder (SPD)? I used to think that my older DD had SPD because she would freak out about the slightest unusual noise (like a neighbor running a lawnmower way off in the distance) by hitting the deck, covering her ears, crying and yelling "TOO LOUD!" DH couldn't use power tools at all when she was home, I couldn't run the vacuum without a huge reaction and forget about ever using a blender. This was from when she was around 1 year old to around 2 1/2. Then by 3 years old she was fine, never complained about noises again. Younger DD doesn't have this problem at all, though certain sounds make her nervous- she just doesn't react as strongly.

DD might just be a sensitive person, and complaining about aches & pains is all part of that. She also enjoys complaining about the kids at school and her friends.. though that's a complicated subject way beyond the scope of this discussion (long story short: she's very social and friendly with all kids, she goads them into playing rough and then complains about it- I'm trying to teach her to stop running and say "I don't want to play this game anymore" instead of letting things escalate to a point where she feels it's out of control and gets scared).

If none of the above sound right consider this long shot, hmmmm maybe, guess.

from wikipedia:

Sensory processing disorders are classified into three broad categories: sensory modulation disorder, sensory based motor disorders and sensory discrimination disorders.[6][7][8]

• Sensory modulation disorder (SMD) consists of over-responding,[9] or under-responding to sensory stimuli or seeking sensory stimulation. Sensory modulation refers to a complex central nervous system process[10] by which neural messages that convey information about the intensity, frequency, duration, complexity, and novelty of sensory stimuli are adjusted.[11] Subtypes are over-responsivity, under-responsivity and sensory craving (seeking)[12]
This group may include a fearful and/or anxious pattern, negative and/or stubborn behaviors, self-absorbed behaviors that are difficult to engage or creative or actively seeking sensation.[12]
  • Sensory discrimination disorder (SDD), or incorrect processing of sensory information. Incorrect processing of visual or auditory input, for example, may be seen in inattentiveness, disorganization, and poor school performance. Subtypes are: visual, auditory, tactile, taste/smell, position/movement, interoception.
My oldest had the most bizarre reactions to everyday things that we decided he needed professional help. The above ended up being a large part of his problem.

well, some people just like to whine and complain. it's part of the human condition. sometimes...you just got to tell them to shut the heck up. :) (this is Dunno tongue in cheek humor. don't shoot me.) :)
==
yes as a parent you have to TEACH your kids how to take pain and not complain each and every time they get an boo boo.

==
yes as a parent you have to TEACH your kids how to take pain and not complain each and every time they get an boo boo.

Easier said than done. We've had multiple conversations about how I can't tell when she's actually hurt because she has the same response to everything. All of the coaches she's had have commented that she is always 'hurt'. DD gets ice at gym at least once a week. Then again, in the past year, she's had 2 major injuries that made medical leave necessary (chipped ankle bone & tendon tear). She had the knee injury for 1.5 weeks before I decided it was bad enough to warrant a Dr. visit.

As for SPD, I never considered it with my DD. I have thought about it for my DS, he's has to be 'tickled' every night on his hands and legs. Sensitive to noise. Etc. He is terrified of the GPS "lady" and refuses bandaids - to the point of complete breakdowns.

I'm hoping DD is just a whiner who loves attention. Every boo-boo ranks at least an 8 on the pain scale, to her.
Thanks for all the thoughts and input!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back