Parents Anyone have size Child Large Leos they dont need?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I wonder how much the employee(s) of this organization pay themselves? That could explain why it costs $16.50 to get a free leotard. I believe that even 501c3 non-profits are allowed to hire, and pay, employees and their board of directors.

I also agree with several previous posters that it is possible to find new, quality leotards at or below this price. A couple that come to mind are Melody, that had a $5 grab bag a year ago or so; and Dreamlight that just had a 20 Leo's for $100 ($5/Leo) grab bag.

All the posts on the FB page have got me thinking. Who is the chairity that Leftover Leos donates to? They say they sell the donated leos to "needy families" and that the money goes for various things including overheads and charity. Where does the actual money made go? I am sure people who donate leos would like to know who they and helping and how. Are they actually helping poor families or are they helping a gym, or a gym team or an individual? How does this work using the whole 501 thing? Maybe I just need enlightening, but this could never fly in Canada as the tax system simply would not allow it.

Hard to tell.

My initial reaction after a cursory research was she is doing a good thing. I actually think she still is. But for whom? The problem is her FB page is not clear on who benefits from the profits (and it clearly has profits). The mission statement is pretty clear and they are not hiding the fact that they do charge for the free Leos they get. It further claims that the amount charged represents shipping charges and some other charges. We all know it does not cost $16.50 to ship a Leo. But we also do not know how much of the inventory is given free of charge to needy families. I guess her biggest mistake was making unwarranted negative statements and publicity to a forum with many loyal members. And as such her organization is being prodded upon. And since her organization appears to be not as transparent as we'd like it to be, it makes our imagination run wild.

Nonetheless, she claims to be a coach at a gymnastics gym in Carrollton, Texas. Maybe this is where she sells the used Leos? Could the non-profit organization be part of the booster club for this gym and really not the college club team she is also a member? I looked up the gym and it is a legitimate gym which has been in business for 22 years. They appear to be offer lower cost gymnastics classes and claims to manage the gymnastics needs of the City of Carrollton. Her FB page says she is head coach, but it is hard to believe that given her abilities, competitive level, age and also from just looking at the website that this is true. There could be a simple answer to all these questions if she would just not be too defensive.

It's time like these where people who would like to do some good (I mean, for example, those of us who would consider donating our DD's leotards) get discouraged by so-call "charities" where information is murky, at best. So many unanswered questions.... if this is a legit 503(c)(3) then they should be searchable on the IRS database. If anyone has donated to LOL's before, do you have a receipt that shows their charity registration number?

It's time like these where people who would like to do some good (I mean, for example, those of us who would consider donating our DD's leotards) get discouraged by so-call "charities" where information is murky, at best. So many unanswered questions.... if this is a legit 503(c)(3) then they should be searchable on the IRS database. If anyone has donated to LOL's before, do you have a receipt that shows their charity registration number?

We donated a couple of years ago and I never remember any receipt, or "gym credit" that she talks about, and we donated over 30 leos, many in adult sizes...guess I won't be doing that again...and no one reimbursed the shipping either..

This whole thing is confusing to me. I just went on FB and her most recent ChalkBucket post she says the leos go to people who need/want them...well those are two very different things, I don't see how selling or even giving away leotards to people who only "want" them is a charity?

We donated a couple of years ago and I never remember any receipt, or "gym credit" that she talks about, and we donated over 30 leos, many in adult sizes...guess I won't be doing that again...and no one reimbursed the shipping either..
I fear you won't be the only parent who has donated lots of leos to find out that they are being sold on to support the mysterious charity.

I also find it odd that a picture was posted yesterday on the Facebook page showing a child wearing the leotard they were sent from Jennifer at Left over leotards. The leotard is in fact a team leotard from Northrup gymnastics, Jennifer's own club. I don't know why it would be "left over" if it is a current team Leo. I would like to know a lot more about this charity.

The whole situation is fishy. I wonder if any of this is considered fraud? Hmmm..

Every awful story begins with "we were on beam and..."

I also find it odd that a picture was posted yesterday on the Facebook page showing a child wearing the leotard they were sent from Jennifer at Left over leotards. The leotard is in fact a team leotard from Northrup gymnastics, Jennifer's own club. I don't know why it would be "left over" if it is a current team Leo. I would like to know a lot more about this charity.

And there is a "pro shop" at Northrup too, made up of the donated Leo's.

I found it even more interesting is that the picture of the recipient with that leo and the post are gone from their FB page today.

I have it though, I took a screen print. Just in case LOL tries to pull any stunts with the CB again. I do not like when people twist what is said here to make them look more worthy and I do not want to be unprotected if that happens again.

It is very worrying.

As a nonprofit, shouldn't their financial reports be available to the public. My dh works for a nonprofit. I will ask him tonight,

Seems like you guys have figured out out Left Over Leos. I would be livid if I found out it was subsidizing a certain gym by seeming to be doing something larger.

I give away Leos, I sell some and make $, and sometimes I give them to the coaches who give then to the needier girls (incl rec) or girls who forget their leos or have "accidents" and need to change. No reason to give then to LOL.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I just did a search of IRS non-profit organizations and I did not find anything that indicated that Left Over Leos is a currently registered 501c3 organization. These searches are a little tricky, so I may have missed something. I searched all of Carrollton, Tx for anything related to Left Over Leos or Northrup Gymnastics. I could have missed it if they are DBA (Doing Business As) Left Over Leos, but actually registered as some other entity. I searched for organizations that are eligible to receive tax deductible donations and also organizations that have filed a 990N postcard (statement of income) or have had their status revoked. Nothing came up.

Sometimes the process of setting up an organization can take quit some time, but not 2-3 years. And, you legally can't claim the status without the final approval from the IRS.

Now there is a response on Facebook from someone who isn't the President, because she conveniently had to leave town, that only makes things more unclear. It sounds like they are trying to "save" money with the sale of these leos to help people/gyms down the road at a later time. Hopefully, they really do have good legal advice on this because sometimes there are also issues with carrying large balances from year to year with a non-profit organization.

All this chatter and discussion about leo sales and exchanges at other gyms has given me the inspiration to start one at our gym. We have several girls on scholarship and lots of families trying to raise money for meet season. It would be a better use of our time to hold a leo sale within our gym to help our own families rather than sending off leos for some other person to maybe receive or purchase.

All this chatter and discussion about leo sales and exchanges at other gyms has given me the inspiration to start one at our gym. We have several girls on scholarship and lots of families trying to raise money for meet season. It would be a better use of our time to hold a leo sale within our gym to help our own families rather than sending off leos for some other person to maybe receive or purchase.
This is the best thing to come out of all this. The realisation that those previously loved leos can be used to help gymnasts and gyms right where you are. No postage, no overheads, no mystery charity, no middle man/woman. Great post.

As a nonprofit, shouldn't their financial reports be available to the public. My dh works for a nonprofit. I will ask him tonight,

Where can we look for that. I am not liking what I am reading.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back