WAG Anyone know anything about this gym in Cincinnati?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Copelscope

Proud Parent
We are moving to Cincinnati (as soon as my husband formally accepts the job offer, but hopefully inside the next 4 weeks to be there to start school almost on time), and there's a fairly new gym on the side of town we are focusing on for our home search called Gymnastics Central, located in Newtown, Ohio. Most of the gyms I've seen mentioned here on CB when I run a search are clear across town, while doable (I grew up in the area we are focusing on, so I have some knowledge of commute times), it would be nice to find a good gym program closer (I'm sure her 3 little brothers would appreciate a closer program too!) :)

I'm mainly wondering if anyone has heard anything about the newish gym mentioned above (reputation, coaching styles, encountered them in competitions, etc), or has advice about how to approach them about a JO track vs rec (or an Xcel track would be fine too-- DD just wants to get more gym time than her current 3hrs/wk and have a chance to compete-- she has literally lit up from the inside so much she practically sparkles since starting her first rec class 18mo ago-- caught us totally off guard!). She has never been given the opportunity to move away from the rec track here, and the whole process of getting on a JO/Xcel track seems very hush hush (and I don't want to come off as a CGM lol!)-- possibly because of her age (9)?

I know she will have to be evaluated, but should we arrange the eval prior to our move (I have minimum knowledge about when competition seasons begin or if gyms typically cut off adding to preteam/team at a certain point, not that it would necessarily be relevant since I'm expecting her skills probably aren't there for new level 3 yet, but I also know nothing about gymnastics beyond what I YouTube after she talks about a skill and read on here). We may be able to work an evaluation in during our house hunting trip in appx 2 weeks, but we will likely be at the mercy of the realtor's schedule :).

Like i said above, DD is hoping to be in a pre team or competitive situation-- she is currently in a level 3 rec class -- assuming this will be new level 2? She's at a one hand touch spot on her BHS, and has front/back limbers, front/back walkovers, front handspring (a little rough around the edges, but she lands on her feet) and flyspring(? I think that's what she called it?), 20 sec handstand hold, back extension roll to push-up position (hits handstand in the middle on a wedge mat, but not on floor), etc on floor; has her pullover (low bar, not quite to long hang on high bar but is close), squat on, BHC and glide dismount on bars; cartwheel and full vertical handstand on high beam as well as turns/jumps, and the round off the end, side handstand and side handstand 1/4 turn dismounts on beam-- working front and back walkovers on low beam; and has her dive roll thingy and handstand flat back vaults just to give an approximate skill level.

Thanks in advance for any and all advice you can offer about relocating to a new city and starting over at a new gym-- the gymnastics world is completely foreign territory for me, let alone finding a gym immediately after moving to another state!

I know nothing about the gym (but I'm not from the area either), but I would call them and mention that your daughter is 9 yr old and participated in a rec program at her old gym, but is interested in team--ask about being evaluated or what their procedure is. The person answering will either have answers for you or have the head coach call you back.

How close are you to moving? If it's soon, then do the evaluation when you go to house hunt (if possible). If it's still months away, then I'd wait until you get there. I don't know when compulsory season is for Ohio --the website lists both fall and spring state meets for levels 3-5, but I'm sure someone else here will know the answer!

I know nothing about the gym (but I'm not from the area either), but I would call them and mention that your daughter is 9 yr old and participated in a rec program at her old gym, but is interested in team--ask about being evaluated or what their procedure is. The person answering will either have answers for you or have the head coach call you back.

How close are you to moving? If it's soon, then do the evaluation when you go to house hunt (if possible). If it's still months away, then I'd wait until you get there. I don't know when compulsory season is for Ohio --the website lists both fall and spring state meets for levels 3-5, but I'm sure someone else here will know the answer!

Thank you gymmomtoo :). We don't have his start date yet (he accepted the offer today but still needs to give notice at his current job), but at the most it will be 6 weeks before we start the move (and on the short end 3 weeks or so). I really appreciate your response!

This isn't going to be super helpful but, I can say I know nothing about this gym and have never even heard of it and I AM from the area. I do gymnastics that competes in a Rec league/AAU and I coach usag and I've not seen them at any meets I've been to.
But I agree, maybe give them a call. You could always check them out and 1 or 2 other gyms that may be possibilities and just compare and contrast.

This isn't going to be super helpful but, I can say I know nothing about this gym and have never even heard of it and I AM from the area. I do gymnastics that competes in a Rec league/AAU and I coach usag and I've not seen them at any meets I've been to.
But I agree, maybe give them a call. You could always check them out and 1 or 2 other gyms that may be possibilities and just compare and contrast.

I think it's pretty new-- gymsurvivor, would you mind shooting me a private message? I'd love to pick your brain about other area programs as well if you are up for it :)

I would also advise you to PM Dunno. He seems to know every gym and coach in the country.

He has his own sense of humor ( not always appreciated by those new to our forum) and has been very helpful to many of the parents on CB.

I don't know anything about the area or the gym but I just looked up their website and it looks like they just built a beautiful new gym. It states that they are looking to build out their team program so it might be worth a conversation with them to see what their plans are.

The things I would be looking for would be coaches and coaching experience. Specifically, do they have a head coach that knows what they are doing and has experience building out a team. I wouldn't balk at a new program simply because it is a new program. We were a very small more for fun no name gym before our head coach came on board and now we are quickly moving into one of the stronger programs in the area, but he is very experienced and reputable and we have a couple of young, but very high caliber coaches (elite/olympian) in addition.

Since it is close by and they seem to be serious about their gym succeeding and your daughter is just starting out on team, I say talk with them and check it out. Close to home is a real bonus. This is just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't consider a long commute unless your daughter is ready to take gymnastics very seriously. Team is a huge commitment just in itself outside a long commute.

Good luck and congratulations on your new adventure!

I don't know anything about the area or the gym but I just looked up their website and it looks like they just built a beautiful new gym. It states that they are looking to build out their team program so it might be worth a conversation with them to see what their plans are.

The things I would be looking for would be coaches and coaching experience. Specifically, do they have a head coach that knows what they are doing and has experience building out a team. I wouldn't balk at a new program simply because it is a new program. We were a very small more for fun no name gym before our head coach came on board and now we are quickly moving into one of the stronger programs in the area, but he is very experienced and reputable and we have a couple of young, but very high caliber coaches (elite/olympian) in addition.

Since it is close by and they seem to be serious about their gym succeeding and your daughter is just starting out on team, I say talk with them and check it out. Close to home is a real bonus. This is just my opinion of course, but I wouldn't consider a long commute unless your daughter is ready to take gymnastics very seriously. Team is a huge commitment just in itself outside a long commute.

Good luck and congratulations on your new adventure!

Thank you thefellowsmom! Great tips on what to look for when we visit the gym :). We are not at all opposed to a new program, as long as our daughter is happy there (and being close will contribute significantly to the family's overall happiness should she be in a competitive situation with the hours that comes along with that) :)

I looked at the gym online too, and on my meet scores. To be honest, after reading your description of your daughter and what she is looking for this gym sounds, at least in print, like it may be a good fit. Small team- of xcel and compulsories, new program, experienced coach. This is the kind of a program that may take in an "older" girl who is new to competitive gymnastics. I say go and check it out. Sounds kind of perfect for her needs to me.

ETA- I just read back through and realize you haven't listed your daughters age- I am assuming she is an "older" team beginner age 9 or older. Sorry if I misunderstood.

I agree that this could be a good way to get your"foot in the door", as there may be programs that will reject her because of her age. (Sad but true) I'm jealous. Had to move away from Terrace Park eight years ago for DHs job, and keep wishing I could get back!

I looked at the gym online too, and on my meet scores. To be honest, after reading your description of your daughter and what she is looking for this gym sounds, at least in print, like it may be a good fit. Small team- of xcel and compulsories, new program, experienced coach. This is the kind of a program that may take in an "older" girl who is new to competitive gymnastics. I say go and check it out. Sounds kind of perfect for her needs to me.

ETA- I just read back through and realize you haven't listed your daughters age- I am assuming she is an "older" team beginner age 9 or older. Sorry if I misunderstood.

She is 9 GymGirl's Mom :). I was actually wondering myself, if a newer program would be more open to a 9yo first time compulsory gymnast (or pre-teamer) -- looking at the pictures they have posted their team doesn't have the huge number of kids that look to be 6-7 like the gyms currently local to us do :).

I lived and judged in Ohio (Cincinnati area) for two years. I don't know anything about this gym, but I do know that most gyms compete all levels in the spring season (January-April). There are very few fall competitions in the area.

Also, and I have no idea what school your daughter will end up at, but many Cincinnati area highschools have gymnastics teams (that compete with modified L8 rules- but there is a huge range of level) and a few middle schools also have teams. If she finds the club route isn't for her, she might be interested in middle or high school gymnastics.

I lived and judged in Ohio (Cincinnati area) for two years. I don't know anything about this gym, but I do know that most gyms compete all levels in the spring season (January-April). There are very few fall competitions in the area.

Also, and I have no idea what school your daughter will end up at, but many Cincinnati area highschools have gymnastics teams (that compete with modified L8 rules- but there is a huge range of level) and a few middle schools also have teams. If she finds the club route isn't for her, she might be interested in middle or high school gymnastics.

Thank you, fuzi :). I called the gym, and the person I talked to said she will miss the team tryouts (end August 1st) even though he thought she could possibly compete new 3, and preteam is a strength based evaluation, which I understand but it's a bummer. She is tall and gangly, so chin-ups are tough for her and she has to be able to do 3 on the high bar (she has 1, maybe 2 on a good day). She is fine on the other strength tests he mentioned-- he said they have another 9yo on preteam this year. They aren't open to do an eval when we will be there, so we will have to wait until we move for them. They don't do Xcel (said they did for a while, but there weren't enough competitions in the region?).

I am going to call a few other gyms and see what their cutoff is for team tryouts and what their preteam requirements are-- hopefully we can get an eval done at a few gyms and see where the best fit is for her :). If she has to do another year of rec and try again next summer, then we will help her come to terms with it and spin it as another year to get stronger and perfect her form on everything :)

Most gyms she will most likely have to do some pull ups for preteam. If she really wants to do this I would get a pull up bar for your house and help her to do 5 with her hands each way, and then 10 leg lifts. Only if this is what she really wants and you're just doing a rec class. Don't force her or anything, but it's going to be hard to go from rec to another gym's preteam if only because she is not currently getting the conditioning hours in.

Most gyms she will most likely have to do some pull ups for preteam. If she really wants to do this I would get a pull up bar for your house and help her to do 5 with her hands each way, and then 10 leg lifts. Only if this is what she really wants and you're just doing a rec class. Don't force her or anything, but it's going to be hard to go from rec to another gym's preteam if only because she is not currently getting the conditioning hours in.

She conditions on her own (she saved up her money about a year ago and asked to buy a pull up bar so she could-- we wound up splitting the cost with her so she could get a doorway mount instead of the pressure mounted one she saved for after seeing it at the store since we knew parting with her own money meant she must be serious). She does pull-ups and leg lifts 2-3 days/wk with help (non gym days plus rest time-- we had to limit her conditioning just so she wouldn't get injured going too hard too fast since she was so intense about it at first) -- sometimes she will ask my husband or me to hold her feet about 90 degrees in front of her or she will rest her feet on one of her brothers shoulders with her legs extended. She does leg lifts when my husband is home to stabilize the bar and spot (since its only meant for pull ups and she swings a bit as she starts to tire) in case she loses her grip and drops mid-lift, and has some sort of abdominal/core regimen she asked a coach for that she does on her own as well. She's definitely the driving force with home conditioning (and gymnastics in general), we are just her cheerleaders :) ).

She lacks so much strength in her arms it frustrates the day lights out of her-- her core is great (and has shown major improvement since she asked her coach how to work on her core strength at home), and her arm strength is improving slowly but surely. Her coach is now working with her on the high bar doing long hang pullover, flip over the bar to chin-up hold 10 seconds, then pull back over a few times in a row at practice, and in the last few weeks she's needed progressively less help during the hold time. We actually switched gyms for summer because she told us she hated the downtime in between stations and she didn't feel like she was getting stronger (she told me they only stretched, very little conditioning), and when I picked her up from the first summer practice in a different gym she was over the moon because each station had a conditioning drill to do while waiting for her turn :)

She's working her tail off to try to reach her goal of competing (we would be fine with it if she wanted to stay rec or do something else all together, as long as she's happy, we are), so we would love to see her get that chance to try.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back