Are there any good beam choreographers on here?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I do high school gymnastics and I have to make up my own routine.
The problem is that I suck at making up poses and little dancey things. :(
Is anyone good at making up routines?
If you are... would you make one for me?
You would be my hero! It would mean soooo much to me!

The skills that need to be included:

Full turn.
Split 1/4
Tuck 1/2
Tuck 3/4
Cat leap 1/2
Some sort of tumbling pass that will take the full length of the beam
Front tuck dismount

<3

I don't know anything about high school gymnastics but my daughter had to make up her own L7 beam routine (and had no idea how to do it). We just figured out what order she wanted to do her skills (BHS first to get it out of the way, followed by full turn) and where she needed to be on the beam for each skill. Then we "filled in" with a few poses and a couple of cute step/walks to travel when she needed to, and a half turn here and there for position and wah la! Beam routine. In order to do the poses and dancy stuff, we watched a lot of You Tube videos and she picked out the moves and poses that she liked. Of course, everything had to get past the coach. LOL

Same thing here Shawn, the girls know what skills to put in when they make up their routines .The coach will review it, or if needed tweaks it a bit. The girls often put moves from their floor routines in.

My advice and what I have my gymnasts do (who are required to make up their own routines) is to:
1. Limit the number of times you have to turn around. A simple pivot turn can rack up deductions.
2. I have my girls do two different poses in their routines where they are looking diagonally with some sort of diagonal arm. It breaks up the routine and gives the judges the impression there is some artistry....even if there isn't.
3. Decide if you want to get the skills you are most nervous about over right away or wait until closer to the end when you potentially could be more comfortable. For example, if your full turn is your nemisis, then put right at the top of the routine, so you won't be nervous about it during your routine. Even if you fall, at least you won't be thinking about when you are trying to connect your tumbling series.

Good luck! I'm sure we all can't wait to see a video of the final product!

My advice and what I have my gymnasts do (who are required to make up their own routines) is to:
1. Limit the number of times you have to turn around. A simple pivot turn can rack up deductions.
2. I have my girls do two different poses in their routines where they are looking diagonally with some sort of diagonal arm. It breaks up the routine and gives the judges the impression there is some artistry....even if there isn't.
3. Decide if you want to get the skills you are most nervous about over right away or wait until closer to the end when you potentially could be more comfortable. For example, if your full turn is your nemisis, then put right at the top of the routine, so you won't be nervous about it during your routine. Even if you fall, at least you won't be thinking about when you are trying to connect your tumbling series.

Good luck! I'm sure we all can't wait to see a video of the final product!

Thanks for the info about the pivot turns. On your advice, we just took two of them out of DD's routine. :-D

In Quebec we are not allowed more than one pivot turn, so we get really creative by using poses that involve turning to the side.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back