Arm circles before vaulting

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I have a lot of trouble with doing arm circles before vaulting, it messes me up. I'm kinda starting to get it down, but I do so much better without them. I noticed Yelena Produnova doesn't do an arm circle and she manages to get a double front around. Do they really help?

Some people basically just swing their arms from back to front. The most important thing is that arms are fairly low on contact (i.e. not up by the ears) and the feet are in front of the hips. So you are not reaching downwards to the vault as you flip. This is why the back arm circle has gained popularity in teaching because it facilitates this positioning. I would recommend you keep working on it, because I think getting to the right position on the board without an arm circle takes more timing and technical ability than doing the hurdle with.

I never understood the concept of the arm circle and I am managing to get by fine without it. They do help give you that extra boost and make you go up before making contact with the vault on a FHS. In other words, I was told they help avoid the whole diving into the vault. It never hurts to use it, but if it confuses you I wouldn't bother. If you really want to use it though, you should just set up a spring board on the floor (not in front of the vault) and run like 5 steps and practice the arm circle from there first, rather than doing it during your actual vault. In my opinion, it will help some but confuse many if they don't learn the concept at a young age before starting to actually vault. Just my thoughts. :)

the arm circle must become very natural. in the beginning, it's very big. by later levels, it becomes smaller and smaller, tighter and tighter.

this is the progression from gross motor big movement to finite small movement.

being able to do floor punches with an arm circle besides doing it on tumbl-trak and tramp is a must and then working hurdle punches with it.

and many high level/elite gymnasts use a very small arm circle or the swing back and front. however, more than likely you are not one of these thus continue to work on the arm circle.

My daughter has been struggling with arm circles too. She told me just last week that she didn't think she would ever be able to get them.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back