Back Extension roll to handstand

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi,
okay so last year i went to state and i just couldnt do my back extension roll to handtsand and after the competition my coach told me if i had done the skill (because i just left it out completely- one whole mark deducted) i would have come 1st or 2nd on floor.

so i was wondeirng if you could tell me how to get my extension roll

I have enough power and my feet go towards the ceiling its just that my left arm is straight but on my right arm the whole forearm is on the ground and i just cant keep it straight (i cant even make it straight once im in handstand). When i do try reallly reallly hard to keep it staright i do not make it into handstand and not even into front support i just dont make it over even though i have enough power... if that makes sense. Oh and i can only just do backward roll to front support - i find it easier to go to handtsand though its just that the bent arm doesnt let me (well its a very lopsidded one)

please help! thankyou

:confused:

Last edited:
It sounds like it may be a shoulder flexibility issue. It's difficult to say without a video. If it isn't shoulder flexibility it would be strength in the triceps and deltoids. Dips and handstand push-ups work great for this.

Are you able to naturally keep your arm straight?

Take your back extension roll back to a wedge mat and work back ext roll with straight arms to pike stand, pushup/prone/front support.

Focus on locking out the arm and pushing through the shoulder.

Make sure your arm covers your ear so your head doesn't stick out as you reach back for the roll.

We do a drill using one of the vault blocks (the ones that come apart) to help with straight arms for the bwd roll to handstand.

Gymnast lies on their back with arms from shoulders over the end of the block. Sit up and roll back, lock arms and go up into handstand. Seems to help keep the arms locked.

We also use the wedge. To keep arms locked make sure you have a very aggressive push with the arms. Slow motion will not work.

We teach these down the wedge mat. Fingers inward, and palms to the ceiling. Once you roll back onto your flat hands, open up your arm pits. You are in a handstand.

Work on a straight arm back extension roll to handstand on the balance beam. Low high, it doesn't matter. Get a spot if you have to and drill this out in sets of three.

Put your hands together and overlap your hands one on top of the other and practice the same way on floor. Again, use a spot if you need it. Straight arms only. Point the fingers toward each other so the hands karate chop the floor when you reach back.

After you master this then try it with the hands apart but no more than shoulder width.

If you still have a problem then add drills with very wide arms to handstand. On these you might want to turn the hands out to the side. Hands point completely away from each other. As you learn to have straight arms then start to bring them in a little and keep practicing until you can get it with hands at shoulder width or less. As you bring your hands closer together then at some point you will need to turn your hands back in and point them toward each other.

i also have a girl that just cant get these. she does them on the wedge and they're perfect but when she gets to the floor her arms will not stay together and she just cant get them strait so she ends up doing a head stand. is this because she doesnt have enough arm strength or is it something else?

A bit of both.

You need to find an intermediary between the wedge and doing it just on the floor.

I'd recommend using a panel mat and taking off layers until she is doing it on the floor from a sitting position. No need to go to one layer. Folded in half, about 3 layers is just about fine and then working it from a stand into the back extension roll.

I'd recommend using a panel mat and taking off layers until she is doing it on the floor from a sitting position. No need to go to one layer. Folded in half, about 3 layers is just about fine and then working it from a stand into the back extension roll.

im not sure i understand this one...

old school: face your back to the wall and back extension climbing the wall with your feet. over and over and over again.:)

you'll have to mark the spot on the floor on where to start. you don't want to be to close or to far from the wall.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back