Back Extension Roll With Straight Arms: The Silver Bullet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Stretchsportguy

Before the gymnast puts much weight on her arms she should already be on the way to the handstand. The momentum or kip action of rolling back and extending up gives a moment of weightlessness. That's the moment that the gymnast can effortlessly get to the handstand and thereafter, catch her weight when the rest of her body catches up. If she is weak, she may not be able to hold her weight and subsequently bends her arms. If she is strong, but it doesn't take much strength, then she can lock out and balance.

The silver bullet, is to start going to the handstand early before your weight gets there. The kip action of the roll will bring the rest of your body up over your arms at a later time. Its almost like falling back the other way while you extend your body up to land in a handstand. Then the momentum finishes bringing your legs over keeping them from falling back the other way.

the silver bullet slayed the wolfman. man, i loved that movie. old and new.

does this board have a silver bullet? i'm just askin...;)

Each and every skill has a silver bullet. But guess what? It doesn't mean its going to work on your acro-wolfbat.

That said, every skill has a main point that a coach likes to drive home. And usually a drill or drills to accent the emphasis.

Tight middle, strong action of the shoulder to go through shoulder flexion. Shoulder must be extended.

That's it really.

The timing takes practice to anticipate the moment of weightlessness where you snap up to the handstand on straight arms. The arm snap reminds me of live shrimp that snap their bodies when you try and grab them or try and hook them on a fishing hook.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back