back handspring help

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has been learning her back handspring for a couple of months. She can do a standing BHS (has not connected it to a RO yet) The coach has been telling her for a while that she tends to throw one arm out to the side as she goes back into the skill instead of keeping her arms parallel. Are there any drills to help her fix this? The coach told me that she could injure her elbow if she does not fix this. Thanks for any advice.

Without seeing the skill being performed, it is difficult to determined what exactly could be causing the arm to go out of position. The fix could be as simple as turning her hands inward so the fingers are slightly pointed toward each other. Does she do drills properly with the arm? or have the drills stopped? She may need to go back to some basics for a short time with drills specific to the problem. What would happen if the coach spotted her on the side with the arm that goes out? If she is very comfortable doing the back handspring by herself, she could even put a foam block (or two connected together somehow...depending on her size) between her arms, near the elbows, to teach her muscles to stay in more when doing the skill. She could use an incline, spring board, mini-tramp, the end of a tumble-track, etc to assist if necessary.
Sounds like a possible fear issue, or technique problem (no offense to her coach)...like I said...without seeing it, it is difficult to say.
Hope that helps. Please keep me posted on her progress.

common problem. they lift one arm at a time when they come to a vertical stand. and she probably has a bit of a 'twistie' round off. one that is not a cartwheel, but more like a 1/2 on you would do vaulting.

round offs over an object, like a barrel, usually remedies the problem. AND you can place tall blocks alongside the barrel. like having a wall on each side. you place them just slightly wider than her shoulders. this way when she comes up, it is more likely than not, that she'll make the same mistake the first few times and hit that wayward hand on the block. that will be very helpful for her locating her hand coming up off the floor. very simple problem. simple solution.:)

common problem. they lift one arm at a time when they come to a vertical stand. and she probably has a bit of a 'twistie' round off. one that is not a cartwheel, but more like a 1/2 on you would do vaulting.

round offs over an object, like a barrel, usually remedies the problem. AND you can place tall blocks alongside the barrel. like having a wall on each side. you place them just slightly wider than her shoulders. this way when she comes up, it is more likely than not, that she'll make the same mistake the first few times and hit that wayward hand on the block. that will be very helpful for her locating her hand coming up off the floor. very simple problem. simple solution.:)

I completely agree with what you wrote, except I am unsure of if the original poster was asking about a ro-bhs or a standing bhs, in a standing, I'm not sure if a too-wide-armed roundoff (which results in the one arm then the other and an unequal throw) would factor in.

you're right coachsimon. if it's a standing flip flop, she's probably got a little of the twisties on that as well. they do this (vestibular) because they are afraid they'll hit their head. kinda looks like a jump 1/4 turn to cartwheel. and the coach should be concerned.

My daughter does do exactly what Dunno said with her roundoff, but is getting much better. Her issue right now is with just the standing bhs, as they have not even attempted to connect to a round off yet. Her bhs looks fairly straight (at least to my untrained eye) but she tends to let one arm stray laterally so that when her hands hit the floor one arm is where it should be but the other is angled out. She also tends to turn her hands out to the side rather than pointing directly behind her. I like the drill from coach.simon as I think it all starts with her arm throwback, and that is a safe drill that she can practice at home. has only started to do the BHS unspotted the last few days so is still new to the skill.

you're right coachsimon. if it's a standing flip flop, she's probably got a little of the twisties on that as well. they do this (vestibular) because they are afraid they'll hit their head. kinda looks like a jump 1/4 turn to cartwheel. and the coach should be concerned.

That vestibular system....ruining everything! lol

My daughter does do exactly what Dunno said with her roundoff, but is getting much better. Her issue right now is with just the standing bhs, as they have not even attempted to connect to a round off yet. Her bhs looks fairly straight (at least to my untrained eye) but she tends to let one arm stray laterally so that when her hands hit the floor one arm is where it should be but the other is angled out. She also tends to turn her hands out to the side rather than pointing directly behind her. I like the drill from coach.simon as I think it all starts with her arm throwback, and that is a safe drill that she can practice at home. has only started to do the BHS unspotted the last few days so is still new to the skill.

And I'm glad you find it useful, if you do practice it in your house, please be sure to not only check her arms, but also that she is squeezing and her hips are off the ground (check that she's not piked at the waist) as it would be a shame to have a beautiful arm swing only to land in a weird piked/arched handstand.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back