Back Walkover Problem

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

M

monspangler

My daughter is experiencing a mental block on beam while doing her back walkover. She has been falling on just about every one, and has not even been able to get one foot on. It seems that her hips are not square and no matter how hard she tries, she just can't seem to land them. Any tips are appreciated.

Kicking over harder can help, but to get over the fear I'd do lots and lots of back walkovers on a line on the floor then slowly build up higher and higher beams until she is just doing the skill and not at all afraid of it.

I think about stretching up really tall and "following" my hands back - staying stretched throughout, and also about continuously lifting my front foot as I go back. Probably if she can't get one foot on, she needs to kick over more or arch more.

I think about stretching up really tall and "following" my hands back - staying stretched throughout, and also about continuously lifting my front foot as I go back. Probably if she can't get one foot on, she needs to kick over more or arch more.

To add to this, when you "follow your hands" you look at your hands and basically remember to arch. It is very important to arch in a back walkover!

Sometimes this happens when they get afraid of it hurting their back and then kind of bail out to one side. Strengthening exercises might help this. Also going back to bridge on the beam, bridge kickover on the floor to get stronger, bridge kickover on the beam or low beam.

This seems to be very common. When she does her BWO on the floor line is it straight and easily over? Many (most?) gymnasts go through a lack of confidence stage where they can technically perform the walkover fine, but unconsciously chicken out half way through, falling off way to the side. Building up her confidence on low beams with mats will help, as will lots of practice.

Hope the BWO issues are working out since you posted this in November. If not, keep the faith. My DD has struggled with this skill for over a year. Was able to compete her one and only L6 meet with the BWO successfully b4 going to PO Gold last year. She had a double BWO series initally, but had it taken out due to the exact same mental block you describe. Many of the suggestions you've already received are all valid. For this season her BWO series is back in and much better. Make sure the back stays stretched to reduce the pain, once on beam stretching tall and then focus on the hands going back and spotting the end of the beam to land the feet. All easier said than done from a parents perspective. It is more of a mental block going backwards. We're dealing with some of the same things with the BHS now. Tell her to hang in there..... She'll get it!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back