Back walkovers on beam

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Today one of our coaches forced me to do a back walkover straight onto the high beam, with no padding on the beam, and barely any help :( after about 3 minutes of me saying 'I can't do it' and the coaches telling me to do it, I did it and landed it. But how can I get over my fear?

i'm sure this is not the 'whole' story, nonetheless, keep listening to your coaches and keep doing them. over and over and over again. your fear will leave just as it has for countless other gymnasts around the world!

Remind yourself that: a) that skill is probably the first "big" fear most gymnasts ever face (you're far from alone); b) you must be an awfully good gymnast to have gotten that far, and your coach wouldn't let you try it unless you were excellent and they were certain you wouldn't hurt yourself and sue them for it.

I agree .Your coach knows what's best for you so just go with it .Good luck. it took me a year to get over my fear of flipping on high beam an ...well that means Its really scary because I am afraid of NOTHING :eek:

Doc Ali is an amazing sports psychologist who specializes in helping gymnasts. Here is a great article from her website on overcoming fear: Headgames (My daughter had real fear problems with the back walkover and is currently dealing with issues on her back handspring on beam. This article helped her a lot. You can read about it on my blog, if you'd like.) There are several other articles on Doc Ali's website and she also sells some books and CDs that might be of help to you. Good luck!!!

As the previous posters have said, your coach must have known you could do it safely. A good coach will never ask a gymnast to do something unless we know they are capable of it. But, when we know our gymnasts are capable of something, we might make them do it.

Think of it this way, you've done your backwalkover on beam. It can only get less scary. Also, remind yourself that it is "just" a back walkover. While the beam might be new, you've been doing walkovers for years.

I feel more comfortable doing BWOs on high beam when I don't visualize doing them. I try to remember my starting position: My front foot pointed and ready to "follow me over", stomach/butt tight (of course), shoulders open and stretched up. I do sometimes remember that I CAN see the beam as I do the skill, for all but a split second when the arch-back begins.

I also try to force myself to do them over and over until I'm comfortable(ish) and I've made whatever number I've told myself to make. You may feel better if you start off on a slightly lower beam (a foot or two off the ground) as opposed to the highest beam in the gym. I also think they're a bit easier than cartwheels because your body doesn't do any sideways rotation which I find quite difficult.

I was afraid of them for a little while in level 6, what I did was in the part before it in the routine, I thought "I can go!" and just went for it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back