Gymnasts Beam meet day nerves

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Mango Tango

Gymnast
this is my first year competing does anyone have any tips for not shaking? I’m perfectly fine in practice but when I get up there I can’t calm myself down. Any advice would be appreciated! ❤️

Ooo! I struggled with this alot a couple years ago. My number one tip is to keep your focus on the end of the beam. It can help to put a little dot of chalk on each end so you can keep your balance and it helps you spot in turns. Next, forget about warm ups. You could have the best warm up of your life and the have the worst beam routine ever. As soon as warm ups end, forget about them. When the judge salutes you, smile and take a deep breath, THEN start your mount. From the moment that judge salutes you, it's just you and the beam. Finally, be confident. Attack your skills and do everything with power. It's one moment in time. It's ok if it doesn't go the way you want it to but being timid doesn't help anything. Salute, Breathe, and go. You got this!

One of the best tips I've learned in the last few years is making sure you don't rush through your routine and keep your focus on your breathing! Muscle memory works wonders, so when you take your mind off thoughts like "I really need to land this" and put it on body awareness, you're going to have a much easier time staying confident. Taking your time on your dance can also work wonders since it gives you a moment to calm any nerves before your next skills.

I always found that confidence goes a long way. I coach level 6-10 and the nerves are always there BUT the key to pushing through in confidence in yourself and the effort you put in the gym. Now I have a couple girls that straight up tell me their no confident on certain events and I tell them to fake it till you make. Only say positive things to yourself before the competition. Say things like "I trust my body", "Stay strong and tight", things like that and avoid anything like " don't fall". Saying the word fall in the sentence encourages your brain to fixate on that word. All positive thoughts and don't rush! I always tell me girls Id rather them take a few extra seconds to pull themselves together than to rush through, fall, and possibly gets hurt! You got this and trust in yourself and your coaches! The hard work always shines through in the end!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back