BHS on beam before BWO + last day of school!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

AlexsGymmyMom

Proud Parent
As alot of you already know my DD Alex has a major fear of the BWO on any beam except the lowest beam. Last night I go to pick her up and she is doing BHS on one of the higher beams (mind you there are mats stacked all the way up but she would not do a BWO there to save her soul!!). I think HUH? So, she is able to do this before the BWO. I was floored!! And a little proud too! Is that a common? Just curious.
On a side note.....yesterday was also her last day of elementary.:( I was very proud as she recieved the Presidential award for academic excellence:thumbsup:! SO, overall she had a great day!!

Congrats to her! I think things like that are common, I got a back layout stepout on beam before my BHS. It's all just metal, but the fear for the BWO doesn't carry over to the BHS. Good job to her on the award too! Sounds like she had an awesome day. :)

At my gym they make sure we learn everything in order, but BWO is harder to learn, on BKHS if you are straght when you jump, you will never miss the beam. Congratulations on the award, she really did have a great day!

I wouldn't say it's entirely common, but certainly not unheard of. It also happens a fair amount once the girl has learning the BWO and the BHS, and does BHS more than BWO in training, then has a hard time switching back. In a lot of cases, BWOs can hurt more (wrists, back) and I think some girls get hesitant because they predict the pain, then they start balking. It's also slower, and that can lend itself to balking once the gymnast starts to lean back, which can hurt confidence a lot. I don't usually recommend it but maybe she could try her BWO more of a BHS hand placement? Some girls like that better.

Does your dd have shoulder flexibility issues? I just ask, because mine does, and she can do her BHS with the coach just standing there next to her, but she really needs that spot for the BWO or she will miss the beam everytime. Her coach told her it was because of the flexibility thing, and also because she is really strong and she tends to use her power to "muscle" through some of the skills that require more shoulder flexibility...

Congrats to her on the award at school...and how awesome that she did the BHS on beam! Wow! My DD is also afraid of BWO except on low beam...hasn't even thought of a BHS ;)...so can't speak to that, but hopefully the BHS will be a confidence builder for your DD and she will conquer that BWO soon!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back