Big changes in PA USAG

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

MaryA

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
This just in...

1. This will be the final year of the state run Prep Optional Program. As of the 2012-2013 season the program will be directed by USAG and renamed the X-cell Program. The design of this program is in its very initial stages and more information is not available. Information will be posted on our state site as it is made available to us.

2. The will be no sectional competitions at any level. Qualifying scores to the State Championships at each level are as follows:

Level 4: 34.00AA Vote 5-4 in favor. PASSED
Level 5: 34.00AA Vote 5-4 in favor. PASSED
Level 6: 32.00AA Vote unanimous
Level 7: 33.00AA Vote unanimous
Level 8: 32.00AA Vote unanimous
Level 9: 32.00AA Vote unanimous
Level 10: 32.00AA Vote unanimous
Prep Optional: 33.00AA at all levels 7-2 in favor. PASSED

So, no more sectionals, at any level. And qualifying score for States much higher for level 4 and 5 (I think this year it was a 33 for level 4, and a 32 for sectionals and a 33 at sectionals for states at level 5). And this is the last year for prep-op, though I guess that's everywhere. Anyone else hate the name X-cell? I think, at best, it sounds like some sort of energy drink. At worst... well, I won't even go there.

Funny, I was just reading that on the PA-USAG website and then you posted. Dh and I just talked with DD about what States are and what kind of score she needs to go to them. I am fine with it. I don't think a 34 is out of the question for the majority of girls- it's 4 event scores scoring an 8.5 or better (give or take the fact typically one or two events being stronger and one or two being weaker for many girls).

I was at one of the the L5 sectional meets this year and it was HUGE- and that was just 1 of 3 sectionals- then the girls had to qualify from states from there. I think making it an across the board 34 for L4 and L5 will serve to make the meet a bit smaller and remove the need to quailfy and re-qualify.

That said- last year my DD was L3 and in PA there are no L3 states. This is my first year thinking about states and having a daughter who may possibly qualify for states- only time and her scores will tell. How do you feel about it?

As for the X-cell program. I think it's fine. I like that they are making Prep-Optional standardized and the same state to state nation-wide. I think it will increase the number of gymnasts participating and also add a level of validity to it that it may have been missing out on before. Heck, even here on the CB some parents/gymnasts think of it as a "less than" program (I do not) nationwide standardization of Prep-Op will help it to be seen for what it is- a great alternative program to the L1-L10 USAG for girls who enjoy competing in gymnastics. As for the name, I like calling it Prep-Op better....

Md did away with sectionals a few years ago. Let me ASSURE you, it has been a bleesing. Instead of having to get a certain score at three meets that were overbooked and crazy, being able to get the score at any in state meet was so much easier on the parents with fewer tears and less pressure.

Oh, I think the concept of X-cell is great! I just don't like the name.

Yes, PA level 5 sectionals were crazy, for sure. States were much nicer. A friend of mine's daughter doesn't do well in high-stress situations. I think having a score that she needs to reach at ANY meet will be much easier than having a score that she has to reach at a particular meet.

I think it's telling that the level 6 States score is so much lower than the other optials scores, and even lower than level 7. DD may be in for a wild ride this year...

Thanks for posting this MaryA :) I haven't been on the PA USAG website for awhile. My DD is going into her 1st comp. season as a L4 and we had our parent meeting the other night. HC said that the L4's will not be going to states this year, as she doesn't want them to worry about scores. She wants them to get comp. experience, have fun, encourage each other as teammates to do well and ultimately stay in the sport. They'll have plenty of years ahead to worry about state and mobility scores (well, next year!). This is totally fine by me!!! I love her philosophy. As I shared in another post, the team is in the building stage and she puts a good deal of effort into the lower levels and sees them as the future of the program.

It is great to hear about the changes to the prep-op program. X-cel is the name of a gym here in the western part of the state that is very competetive. That's what the name immediately brings to mind, for me. Oh, and yes, it could be the next big energy drink on the market! ;)

I had recently posted that the Prep Optional program was going to be nationalized and renamed Xcel (not X-cell... that sounds very biological!): GYMCATS: Nevada State I think this is such a fantastic idea, esp. for those gyms who do travel outside of their "home" state for meets!!! LOVE this program!

I'm also thrilled that there were no longer be sectional meets in order to qualify to states. I mean, seriously, what diferrence does it make if a child scores at 35 (or whatever) at a sectional meet vs. an invitational? And talk about pressure!!! Glad to have them going away!

I understand why they don't want to use the name Prep Op because it's obviously gone in another direction from when that term was coined. But I agree X-Cell is pretty terrible. At least they could have spelled it right but I would have liked to see a more straightforward, descriptive name for what will be an important program going forward. This just gives the impression it was hastily done.

I just looked at the USAG website and it appears that PA spelled it wrong in minutes. It's Xcel (not X-cell). Still not crazy about the name- but love the idea of the new nation-wide Prep Op.

I'm not in PA but wanted to chime in. Xcel is the name of the major energy company out west. not sure if I like that name because that's all i can think about it getting your utility bill lol. The standardization is really good though. I was one of those people who questioned it as a alternative to the levels but never ever ever thought it was "lesser" than just different! But as far as eliminating sectionals, I think that's a good idea too. The state I came from didn't have them and now my niece is in VA and they have the sectionals set up. I don't understand why if you qualify for states at another USAG sanctioned meet it wouldn't count. Like someone else said it seems unnecessarily stressful!

No, I think the mobility scores are the same as set by USAG. Can a state set its own mobility scores?

No, I think the mobility scores are the same as set by USAG. Can a state set its own mobility scores?

No...they can set the score to states, but not the scores to move up to the next level. State qualifying scores and mobility scores are different.

PA spelling it wrong on the info release just highlights the kind of confusion created by a misspelled "creative" name - no problem with the concept obviously, I've been waiting for this for a long time. I live near a state line and it would actually make having prep op meets easier/less expensive for families to be able to have competitions with gyms near the state lines on either side.

I live near a state line and it would actually make having prep op meets easier/less expensive for families to be able to have competitions with gyms near the state lines on either side.

That's why I am so excited for this new program! DD's gym's prep ops travelled to a few out of state meets this past season and it was totally crazy!!

While PREP may be nationalized.. Sectionals will be determined by each state... Virginia will still have sectionals at level 4 and 5 ... at least for the time being.... unfortunately

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back