WAG Blind change help!!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
I have had a blind for some years. I am a righty and when I do blinds I lift up my left arm, just like in a pirouette. When I do into a front giant I do my blind and go one way then the front giant then turn back the other way. Do I make sense? I always lift my left hand, unless I think about it hard on pirouettes. I have worked blind full pirouette and I don't have a problem besides my hand getting stuck sometimes (not quite turned, or completely straight, help with that too please).

A new coach tried to get me to change my blind to go the other way and told me its wrong and I'll have major trouble in the long run. I just can't. Like when I think blind I automatically go one way. Even when I don't think blind I just can't turn the way he wants me to turn.

The head coach says there is nothing wrong with it and I'll be fine.

Can anyone offer insight? Is this common? Should I try harder to change it?

you never change the direction of the blind change unless there is a medical reason/problem with the elbow. and let's clarify...if you are "lifting" your "left" i assume you mean that you let go with your left hand. if so, this means that your body/axis is turning to the right and you are posting/holding on with your right hand.

to complete a "true" giant full or "blind full" as some call it, you would then have to pirouette on to your left hand which means letting go of the bar with your right hand and placing it over to the right side of your left hand.

if you blind letting go with the left hand, and then front giant, and then pirouette on to your right hand, which means that you let go of the bar with your left hand a 2nd time, and placed it back where you started, then there is no issue.

but if you want credit for a giant full (D) and not a "fake in fake out" (C) then you will have to learn to pirouette on to your left hand, which i'm assuming you're not doint at the present.

learning to pirouette on your "wrong" hand is easy. learning to blind change the other direction after having performed blind changes "for some years" will turn in to a hot mess.:)

So the new coach is wrong in wanting me to change it? I work blind full (correctly and everything, not a "fake in fake out") and I'm fine doing a pirouette on my "wrong" side. It just seems so impossible to change the way I turn on my blind.

yes, the new coach is incorrect. keep doing what you are currently doing.:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back