Off Topic Blog website

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hi @HopefulGymnast
I was just wondering where you got the domain/hosting for your website and if you had to pay for it? Or does wordpress just make one for you and hosts it? Did you have to pay anything to create/deploy the website?

Hey,

So, first of all: my website is " https://somegymnasticsblog.wordpress.com/ ". The "wordpress.com" is how all free wordpress sites end. So I don't use seperate hosting for this website and I don't pay for it. I just went to wordpress.com, made an account and started a website. I also work on some a website that use paid hosting, but I would not recommend it especially if you're only just making your first website. You mentioned "wix" and I don't personally know it, but if you want you could try that too.

Now, if you want to use wordpress, I'll write you a short explanation on the basics:

The very start:
- When making an account, note that your username and display name will be visible at some points, so keep that in mind for privacy and such.

- When you start a site, I recommend using a premade theme that doesn't use templates. Examples are "lovecraft", "Hemingway rewritten" or "baskerville 2".

Creating content:
- options for creating content will be clear on the left side in your dashboard

- You can make content in the forms of "posts", "pages" and "categories". When you order those in a menu later, a page just shows a single non changing page, and a category shows all the posts in that category.

- You'll want to start by making some simple posts or pages. When you write a post, label it with one or more categories.

Creating a menu:
- hover over appearance and click on menus
- Now you'll have a screen with 2 bits. on the left you can select pages, posts and categories and then click add to menu. On the right side you can order them the way you want.

- For something blog style you'll want to use categories, because they'll show all your posts in that category rather than just 1 post or page.

- Top item will be displayed on the left side of the menu bar, bottom item on the right. If you "stack / make subsections", this will create a dropdown menu in your website.

- Which page is your homepage can be chosen when altering the appearance, see below.

Appearance:
- hover over appearance and click customise to change things like the banner and header and such

- When in the appearance section, you can also choose details about your homepage. This can work a bit complicated though, so don't stress that too much right away. The standard homepage is usually a page with your most recent posts anyway.

I'm answering here in case anybody else is interested but just so you know I think it's possible to message me directly if you want to ask just me something or want more help. (And if you give me a heads up I can try to be online so you don't keep getting replies a day later)

Hey,

So, first of all: my website is " https://somegymnasticsblog.wordpress.com/ ". The "wordpress.com" is how all free wordpress sites end. So I don't use seperate hosting for this website and I don't pay for it. I just went to wordpress.com, made an account and started a website. I also work on some a website that use paid hosting, but I would not recommend it especially if you're only just making your first website. You mentioned "wix" and I don't personally know it, but if you want you could try that too.

Now, if you want to use wordpress, I'll write you a short explanation on the basics:

The very start:
- When making an account, note that your username and display name will be visible at some points, so keep that in mind for privacy and such.

- When you start a site, I recommend using a premade theme that doesn't use templates. Examples are "lovecraft", "Hemingway rewritten" or "baskerville 2".

Creating content:
- options for creating content will be clear on the left side in your dashboard

- You can make content in the forms of "posts", "pages" and "categories". When you order those in a menu later, a page just shows a single non changing page, and a category shows all the posts in that category.

- You'll want to start by making some simple posts or pages. When you write a post, label it with one or more categories.

Creating a menu:
- hover over appearance and click on menus
- Now you'll have a screen with 2 bits. on the left you can select pages, posts and categories and then click add to menu. On the right side you can order them the way you want.

- For something blog style you'll want to use categories, because they'll show all your posts in that category rather than just 1 post or page.

- Top item will be displayed on the left side of the menu bar, bottom item on the right. If you "stack / make subsections", this will create a dropdown menu in your website.

- Which page is your homepage can be chosen when altering the appearance, see below.

Appearance:
- hover over appearance and click customise to change things like the banner and header and such

- When in the appearance section, you can also choose details about your homepage. This can work a bit complicated though, so don't stress that too much right away. The standard homepage is usually a page with your most recent posts anyway.
Thank you so much for the detailed explanation!!
I'm answering here in case anybody else is interested but just so you know I think it's possible to message me directly if you want to ask just me something or want more help. (And if you give me a heads up I can try to be online so you don't keep getting replies a day later)
I don't think I can message you directly since chalkbucket blocks messages between minors and adults for safety reasons. Also, I don't really mind getting replies later haha. It's a good reminder for me sometimes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back