Parents Brag alert!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

N

NGL780309

So I got a call from the gym this morning. They want to move DD to Level 5 starting on Monday. I had my reservations, but after our discussion I feel okay about it. She will train with the Level 5's, but still get to compete Level 4 in the fall as originally planned since she's not old enough to do Level 5 next fall. There will be another girl in the group training 5 and competing 4. The coach said she just didn't see any reason to hold her back. She said there's only so much work you can do on Level 4 routines. The hours aren't any different so I felt good about that. So overall I think it'll be good for her. She'll be more than ready to compete Level 5 the next year. I just wanted to share because I'm really proud of her.

That sounds very sensible - especially as there are 2 of them. Should work very well and they aren't overloading her with more hours either. Congrats to her and all her hard work.

That is great news! DD's gym isn't big on competing level 4. She as a 5 yo was training with the level 5 & 6's. She had a great foundation due to trainning with these girls. DD however never competed level 4. Her coaches didn't push it, and I didn't see the point. Your little one will have a great time! Congratulations to her!!
I also had reservations, but her coaches kept me informed initially. They stopped when we all realized she wasn't phased in the least. I will tell you, the gym has helped to create such a determined and well organized little kid! That is such a plus!!;)

At DD's old gym they were going to move her to Level 5 when she just 5 too. It's part of the reason we left. I think I even posted here asking what I should do, let her keep training and never get to compete with her teammates or keep her in level 4 where they did no uptraining. I feel like at her new gym the situation is completely different. The girls are mixed up much more so she's still around the Level 4 girls and will have good relationships with them. She'll get to work on her Level 5 skills, but still get to compete. I worry too much because I read so much here about young girls doing too much too soon and I don't want that for her. It's so hard as a parent because you want to make informed decisions and you want her to be challenged and be happy. Skillwise I'm not the least bit worried. Her coach said the hardest part for everyone is bars and she can do the low bar portion already, but just jumps to a block after her squat on. Floor and beam she can do all the skills for Level 5 already. Vault will be a challenge, but she'll have alot of time. It really isn't a change from her current schedule. She'll go the same days and times and have the same coaches. I don't think the hours are excessive. I'm just thinking outloud to help myself feel good about the decision.

It sounds like your DD has a great support team both at home and in the gym. I was worried too about the burning out and pushing too hard of the little gymnast, but I really do think that the perspective that all involved hold of gymnastics and the child's involvement in the sport is key. From your posts, it sounds like you are inolved but your DD holds the reigns. That is a healthy perspective.
My three kids are quite stubborn and can be obstinate at times. Forcing any of these 'beings' to do anything is near to impossible.
If your DD enjoys gymnastics, I bet she will acclimate to whatever comes her way. I know my little DD is doing so much more (I'm talking about things aside from gymnastics.) then a lot of kids her own age. I hope that this will be carried throughout her lifetime. I really think a sport like gymnastics helps to build strong bodies and determined and motivated minds. But I get what you are saying. Some parents out there have stars in their eyes. But clearly, the 'clouds' do set in. I like to keep a pretty clear head and I just enjoy watching my DD have fun.
She has her second level 5 meet tomorrow. She said, "Mom, I'm going to work hard to get first place!" And she continued to show me her routines and how she, in her mind, was going to do it. I simply responded, "Oh yeah." Anything more from me, I think, could have raised the expectations for her and I never want to stand in the way of my childrens goals. If she doesn't win, or even place, she will have to learn to set other goals for herself. I hope I am getting it right. Parenting is tough! That consumes my time more than anything else can. But I know I speak for other Mom's on here, "I wouldn't trade this job for any other!" I just hope they won't send me to a retirement home!!

Thanks! She loves gymnastics right now, but I spend alot of time questioning whether it's all just too much. I have so many close friends whose kids are high level gymnasts and they are just so beat up physically. I just worry too much. And I definitely don't have any stars in my eyes! I just want her to be happy, healthy, having fun etc.

On a side note I'm really happy that we left DD's old gym. They just changed the schedule and the Level 5's have to go 5 days per week for 4 hours for a total of 20 hours. Unless you are homeschooled of course and then you have 3 extra morning practice for an additional 12 hours. They have completely revamped everything and now have homeschool at the gym and they are all training for the Olympics! Seriously! A few of her friends who are still there are leaving and the others are eating it up and signing their kids up for as many hours as they can get.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back