Parents Buying things at Meets

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

xcelmomsilver

Proud Parent
Our first meet is December 10! There will be t shirts but will they also sell leos or bags?? Do meets usually have other things they sell?

i've seen a wide range of offerings depending on the size and location of the meet. sometimes there is only shirts and sometimes there is everything you can think of!

Meets in our area almost always have a lot for sale -- Just yesterday, I saw leotards, stuffed animals, t-shirts, pajama bottoms, pillow cases, medal holders, grip bags, customized shirts (e.g., add your own sparkles, iron-ons, etc.) and more.

Our first meet is December 10! There will be t shirts but will they also sell leos or bags?? Do meets usually have other things they sell?

each meet is different. our first meet we hosted we had a bunch of leos and they were a good price and flew off the racks. then last year, at our 2nd meet, we didn't offer them for some reason. not sure if they will have them this year. we also host level 6/7 states and we go for the upscale offerings at states. GK comes in with their pricey leos. the first year we had the teen version of lulu lemon some in and of course the t-shirts. we also have this woman that makes things and can personalize them. the big thing to get from her is grip bags. at the end of dd's lvl 4 state meet last year we ran right over to her and got a personalized grip bag. you'll learn which meets have what. i wouldn't get too hung up on buying things until you see what the giveaway is. dd has so many giveaways she doesn't use (beach towels, sweatshirts, pillowcase, ect...)

We restrict dd to one hoodie per season. There is no way we could buy something at every meet. She understands this and carefully plans which meet she wants a hoodie from each season. We do also buy her the leo from state and pins if she meets big milestones. She loves putting those on her meet bag.

I will admit it. We are cheapskates. We BRING snacks.....and one meet a year she chooses a special article of clothing, could be different shirt, usually is.
With our family adhering to a strict gluten free diet we always pack a lunchbox of snacks. We had one meet so far that wouldn't allow it in. I could've argued the point with them, but my DD and I just went to the car when she got hungry. It's safer for her and I, but also saved us a bunch of money over time.

As for souvenirs, if the meet has one (a leo, a tshirt, anything really) then we buy nothing. If the meet has no gift we usually get something- a poster or a tshirt. Last year my ODD had free meet swag from every single meet and my YDD didn't have a single regular season meet that had gifts or even sold any souvenirs. The one time they had meets on the same day we bought my YDD a leo from my ODDs meet.

I'd say it depends on the meet and local tradition.

Some meets have nothing, some sell clothing, some sell little trinkets, some have stuffed animals, some sell flowers, etc. One last year had a vendor who sold 'custom' medal racks. Some are a combination. Large meets at convention centers often have more variety, but not always.

When my DD was just starting, we let her buy a few little trinkets since she had no "gymnastics" themed things. As she got older, we rarely indulge, except to maybe embellish a meet t-shirt with her level, etc. She does get an annual state meet hoodie, though. :)

If we something special that she doesn't have, we might get something. We've picked up some pretty cute stuff over the years.

If you buy her something at her first meet, she may expect you to buy her something at EVERY meet.

Most meets offer candygrams, which allow you to have candy and a note from you delivered to your gymnast while she is waiting for awards. I resisted these for half of my daughter's first season, but finally started buying them because they make her feel special. Sometimes you can choose another item, such as a gymnastics-themed water bottle or pencil case, instead of or in addition to the candy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back