BWO vs BHS beam hand position

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gasrgoose

Proud Parent
Is it common to teach the BWO nn beam with hands in one position and another position in the BHS on beam? Why would you use different hand positions?

you want to try to keep them the same. but this could change depending on which leg you step out on in a layout step out and then which hand may have to be forward just a bit.

Personally, I do them differently. The hands parallel to each other with the thumbs in the middle is fine and common for BWO, but for BHS it isn't safe because of the force that could potentially split your hands from each other and then your face is in the beam. For BHS you want to put one hand in front and have the other hand in back. They should be placed so that the "L" of your one hand forms a kind of frame to the bottom edge of the palm of the other hand. I was taught that the safest method of hand placement for one thing is not necessarily the same for another skill.

Personally, I do them differently. The hands parallel to each other with the thumbs in the middle is fine and common for BWO, but for BHS it isn't safe because of the force that could potentially split your hands from each other and then your face is in the beam.

I wouldn't necessarily say having the hands parallel facing up the beam for the BWO is safe. A girl in my gym did it that way and still ended up having her hands split apart, and landed on her head.

As a side note, putting your hands on top of eachother for either skill is a bad idea. For some reason I know a lot of girls at my level that learned it that way, and had to go back and relearn it recently. It sounds quite painful, but apparently is a common thing to do.

I totally agree with the on-top-of thing. Its almost never a good idea. I've heard all kinds of horror stories about hand and finger fractures.

Personally, I do them differently. The hands parallel to each other with the thumbs in the middle is fine and common for BWO, but for BHS it isn't safe because of the force that could potentially split your hands from each other and then your face is in the beam. For BHS you want to put one hand in front and have the other hand in back. They should be placed so that the "L" of your one hand forms a kind of frame to the bottom edge of the palm of the other hand. I was taught that the safest method of hand placement for one thing is not necessarily the same for another skill.

Thanks for your response. The part in bold is what I was really trying to ask but I phrased my question poorly ( I also had a couple of Typos). It seems like both skills would be taught with the BHS hand placement so the BHS would be the natural next step from the BWO. My daughter is practicing both skills and is using the same hand placement for each skill. Her coach is trying to get her to put the heel of her hands together and only thumbs on the beam for the BWO. Of course she will do it the way the coach tells her, but I see the confusion in her little head. FYI. I'm also asking her coach to explain it to her.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back