WAG Calculating team scores

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ShesAMonkey

Proud Parent
I have always understood that team scores for meets were calculated by taking the three highest scores in each event, adding them up, and then adding those scores together to get the team score. I was told recently that a large meet our gym attended required the coaches to choose ahead of time which gymnasts' scores were to be used for the team score. Is this really a thing?

We've been to a couple of meets like this. It is an attempt to prevent large teams from using their numbers to dominate small teams. Personally, I've always wondered why they don't just do the average. But I think each system has its strengths and weaknesses.

Yep. A very large meet we have attended in the past that was this weekend does that. 4 Girls are predesignated for the team score and you take the top 3 scores. It is meant to even the playing field for the size of teams. Meets like this often also give the option of entering more than one team if you have enough girls. The coaches generally do not like this format, it would be easier if they could designate 4 girls for each event, but when you have to figure out 4 girls when everyone has different strengths and weaknesses it makes it more difficult.
cbifoja- I am glad they do not take the average score of all the girls, I could see that leading to all sorts of problems, gymnasts not getting to compete because they aren't 'good enough,' and girls who are generally at the bottom of their team feeling even worse because they let down the team.

I don't see how that really helps that much anyway, large teams will still have an advantage. Not sure I'd like that or not but it would be interesting for sure, just to mix it up and see what results, lol.

Our state was top 4 AA then top 3 scores on each event off of those top 4 AA kids. We recently switched to top 3 scores per event period. So it just goes to show you that no actual standard existes in JO . Personally I like designation , like college,,, but it's very labor intensive for a JO meet host to do that format.

Our teams are a preset size which may vary for each level and competition. So you enter a team of about 5 usually top 4 scores count on each piece for the team. So it is normal to enter more than one team per club if you have enough kids. It can cause a feeling of division between girls at the same club though as they are competing against each other, and there can also be issues with who gets into the 'good' team etc etc causing bad feeling amongst parents. Everyone in the same team sounds good but I realise it can have its own problems.

We vary around here from 3 scores count, to 4 scores count, to 5 scores count (States is 5 scores...). I don't think I've been to any meets in this region that have you designate a team ahead of time though...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back