WAG Camera Lens upgrade?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
Good Morning!
My husband gave me a Cannon rebel 4ti with a 18-55MM lens and I think I need a bigger lens. I tried it out at an inhouse meet and was able to get decent pics but I don't think I could get close enough at a larger invitational meet. I am debating a 18-135 MM lens but was hoping to get input from someone more familiar with the camera.

Will the 18-135MM do the trick? Is the 18-55MM okay, I just need to learn how to use my camera?

Any input is appreciated, its been ages since my highschool potography classes!

Unfortunately gymnastics venues are notorious for having very poor lighting, which means that if you want close-up action shots, you will need to spend a lot of money on a really good lens with an f-stop of 2.8 or lower continuous throughout the zoom. Just to give you an idea, I bought a 70-200 with fstop of 2.8 for $700. More than what my camera cost... The 200 zoom is very good for huge venues like convention centers. I can sit in the stands and still get real close-ups but if your meets are at smaller venues or gyms, you should be fine with a 135. You could also buy a fixed lens of 150 or 200. That would be much cheaper, though not as versitile. I preferred to pay more for the flexibility of the zoom. Also, if you are not looking for action shots, then you may be fine with a 3.4 f-stop. It really is the movement in the routines that cause the need for the more expensive lens. Of course, it may be cheaper to just selectively buy the professional shots at the bigger meets, but I like shooting my own pics.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

You will need fast glass for sure. Get something that has at least a 2.8 f-stop. I use a 70-200mm 2.8 f canon lens. It is pricey but in the end I think it is worth it. I am still learning so much about it.

Here is a link for gymnastics photography tips about the composition of the photos and ideas to scrap them as well. Gymnastics « Confident Camera Moms

This web site if full of information about photography.

Last edited:
Will the 18-135MM do the trick? Is the 18-55MM okay, I just need to learn how to use my camera?

I guess I didn't really answer your question.

No...those lenses will not work. 99% of learning to use your camera for gymnastics is learning what lens you need to buy and accepting that it's going to cost a good deal of money. After that it's just aperture, shutter speed & ISO...and in gymnastics you are just dealing with aperture and ISO most of the time.

Photography is my side hobby/PT biz. There are lots of lenses I'd love to have! My DD doesn't compete yet so using my gear in the gym hasn't been an issue, but a 70-200 f/2.8 would a nice addition, and you'd be able to get most of the shots you'd want with that 70-200 range. Having a faster lens like a 2.8 (or faster if you can afford it for a longer lens!) is almost a necessity for poorly lit areas. Especially for the cameras in the lower DSLR $$ range. I shoot Nikon and even with my D700, I'd prefer a fast lens over cranking up my ISO.

I shoot Nikon and even with my D700, I'd prefer a fast lens over cranking up my ISO.

I have found that even with a 2.8f, I'm still upping the iso in most venues. The lighting is just horrible.... But since I'm only printing to max of 5x7, its not too bad.

I have found that even with a 2.8f, I'm still upping the iso in most venues. The lighting is just horrible.... But since I'm only printing to max of 5x7, its not too bad.

I would assume I couldn't shoot at ISO 200...and would have to go up a bit, but I've shot weddings in very dark venues and REALLY had to crank it up, the faster lenses are definitely better for that than say a 5.6 lens!

JBS - I'm kind of surprised you say gymnastics most of the time you're just dealing with ISO and Aperture, as I would think shutter speeds would be just as important if you don't want blurry action shots?

Thanks for the input so far....You have saved me buying something that won't work.....I guess I will make due and save a bit for the correct lens...

Also, I will hit the books and re-learn the basics of photog....its been almost 25 years. I think the basic concepts are the same, right?

JBS - I'm kind of surprised you say gymnastics most of the time you're just dealing with ISO and Aperture, as I would think shutter speeds would be just as important if you don't want blurry action shots?

I shoot gymnastics in aperture priority mode...

Aperture and Shutter Priority Modes

I'm not fast enough for full manual.;)

I love this thread! I have a Nikon, not a Canon, but have been trying to get good shots for 3 years.

I find that as a spectator, you need a longer lens, faster, and you need to take lots of shots and be willing to look through alot! In order to find one good one.

I'll give you an example... I try to take different shots other than the standard, and in a usual 4 hour session of our team girls , I might take 1000 shots of our team of 20 girls.

I got 1 extremely memorable shot (think magazine publication worthy).

I use continuous shoot for some of dds skills that are hard to capture timing wise - like in my avitar. To get that perfect highest point would be impossible with just one shot. I probably had 5 shots for that be alone, multiplied by the 20 + skills I shoot eat competition. I do my photography during warm ups so that I can video the routines.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

That is the lens we have! It is a monster but we usually get really good shots. In the brag group I have a few pictures posted from Circle Of Stars that we took with that lens. The lighting was pretty good there so I think alot of the shots we took turned out good. We also shoot in AV (apeture priority) with a higher ISO. Have fun with it !

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back