Parents Camps - other than the biggies

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

2gymmies

Coach
Proud Parent
I'm interested in your thoughts on smaller camps other than the obvious ones that run all summer (Not Flip Fest, Woodward, IGC, etc). Sleep away or day camps, either one. What did you like, what did your gymmie like?!

My dd loves Shawn Johnson so I tried to see if Chow's has a summer camp but to no avail!

Thanks in advance.

We are considering sending our daughter UW-Whitewater next year. It is close to home and she is young. It is only 4 days. Many other sports camps are going on at the same time...so non-gymnast friends may be attending at the same time. Some of our team kids have gone and loved it.

Gymnastics Camps - Camps & Conferences - UW-Whitewater

You may want to look at nearby universities with gymnastics teams. Our gym just had a number of girls attend one in Pennsylvania and I know that the Univ of Arkansas, Georgia, and Maryland all have camps. They're a lot less expensive, but they have limited weeks offered. Some of the programs offer both day and overnight options.

I can't agree with vagymmomma, I used to go to the University of Denver and Air Force Academy camps and they were great! Some of the college girls would help and we got to stay in the dorms which was always fun if you didn't do day camp. They were also much more affordable!

Alot of the Universities that have gym teams tend to do gym camps for the kids. Check around and see what they have to offer in your area. Usually the gym team from the university help coach, are dorm room floor "moms" etc. Also the teams coaching staff is training the girs. Where my dd is going one of the coaches is Kristen Maloney (former Olympian). Many of the colleges may have former Olympians or upper level former gymnasts as the coaches.

We also went here because it was 1/2 the price of the old camp she went to and the dorms seem to be ALOT better too. I think this will be her new gym camp. And it isn't a 3 hour drive so no hotel rooms either.

I can't agree with vagymmomma, I used to go to the University of Denver and Air Force Academy camps and they were great! Some of the college girls would help and we got to stay in the dorms which was always fun if you didn't do day camp. They were also much more affordable!

Either I'm not reading right or you arent' - I think you miss read vagymmomma - It sounds to me like you are saying the same thing. She said go to college camps they ARE cheaper and you are saying the same thing.

DD loves college gym camp. She loves sleeping in the dorm and eating in the caf and hanging with the college girls she sees at the college meets. The facilities are fabulous, ( not quite Woodward but as good as any top gym or better). The college coaches work with her, some are the same college coaches she has worked with at Woodward. She also likes OGC which is a traveling day camp run by Svetlana Bogunskaiya.

Pickle also went to a college gym camp and it was a great experience. There was a former optional from her club who competes for the U now and one of her coaches used to, so she felt like she was a part of the family. The HC from the U even asked her specific questions about her club now.

Camp definitely focussed on the fun part of gymnastics. There wasn't much conditioning or even a lot of flexibility work. But, she did work new skills. Lots of them. And she loved it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back