WAG Camps

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymmomto2

Proud Parent
I have searched through past posts but haven't found enough info. Has anyone gone to WVU, Penn State, MD or Parkettes gymnastics camp? Looking for just gymnastics not other activities. This would be for optional gymnasts. Give me the good, the bad & the ugly. Thanks!

I went to camp at WVU a million years ago- well, more like 15- and it was fantastic. Their gym was brand new at that point, but even by current standards very state of the art. They had the college coaches working the camp and also brought in some good club coaches. There were some additional activities, but mostly gymnastics focused with lots of gym time. Transportation to/from gym and activities were generally well supervised, though down time in the dorms we were mostly left to our own devices- though that was typically in the evenings when everyone was pretty tired. So not like one of the larger camps where younger ones have a counselor right there with them to make sure they get to bed and wake up. It was my favorite gym camp that I attended.
I also went to Parkettes camp and hated it, though I think it was due more to the camp coaches that particular summer and was a long time ago. They also had lots of gym time and less extra activities. Lots of equipment in their gym, not sure where they pulled their camp coaches from though as some were far better than others.

Following. Has anyone had any experience with the one in South Hadley, MA, as well as the others listed in the original post.

DD has been to the Penn State and MD gymnastics camps. She really liked the Penn State advanced camp last summer, but it's for older optionals. It is very heavy on gymnastics over a long weekend. She didn't like the general Penn State gymnastics camp. This was a few years ago when she was younger, but I found the camp supervision (outside of the gym) to be quite lacking. I know other older optional gymnasts who went to the regular camp and found it valuable (in particular for vault), so her experience could be a result of bad luck with a roommate assignment.

She went to MD as a new optional and group placement was an issue (groups for college camps generally seem to be assigned in advance). Mine is pretty shy so didn't do a very good job advocating for a group change. We had a lot of girls from our gym go last year, and they liked it enough to go again this year. There was some non-gymnastics activities, but not like other camps.

My daughter went to USGTC and loved it!! But she ended up being one of the best gymnasts there ( when she was 11 years old) so it wasn't as challenging or high level skills as she would have liked. The dorms were great and so was the campus. Great dorm monitors too. Very fun and lots of training. There were lots of kids that were there year after year.

I am curious about higher level camps for level 9+. Anyone have one to recommend?

Thanks

I have searched through past posts but haven't found enough info. Has anyone gone to WVU, Penn State, MD or Parkettes gymnastics camp? Looking for just gymnastics not other activities. This would be for optional gymnasts. Give me the good, the bad & the ugly. Thanks!
I would pick a college camp over the others because why not! :) Kill two birds with one stone, get your kid some exposure to the college coaches and send them away to learn.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back