Can you tell me where the deductions are being taken?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

T

twoofthem

This is my dd floor routine and the past two meets she is pulling in low 9's, where, at the first meet of the season she got a 9.45. Last two meets were in different regions so I don't know if that plays in to it all all. I'd love to know thoughts on where deductions are being taken. Devin's Gymnastics Meet - YouTube

The best I can tell was her toe turn was the biggest flaw in a single skill. I couldn't tell if it was supposed to be a full toe turn or a 1 1/2. The full turned too far and the 1 1/2 came up short. Minor things here and there other than that.

If you look at her roundoff on her last pass her feet are apart. I think that is a .2 deduction. (I am only noticing this because my dd does it too), plus the turn. I think amplitude in tumbling might be a deduction too. Front tuck was a bit low and back layout is suppose to be hollow. But what do I know, I am just a mom. I thought she did a beautiful job and looks like she loves performing her routine.

I wouldn't be surprised if it were just the fact she competed in a different region. dd's gym routinely sees better scores from the same routines when traveling out of state (in or out of our region). It used to be frustrating for both the gymnasts and the parents, but we all used to think it was something the gymnast wasn't doing during certain routines, but now it's just a given to expect lower scores in state, though sometimes the girls are presently surprised during an instate meet.

Hmmm...It is a beautiful routine and I love the music!! But I did notice she fell out of her turn, and I don't know, but it looks like she took a zillion steps into her tumbling, which I think is a deduction. Also, he leap traveled a lot...XD I loved the chatter in the start. Great work!

you shouldn't try to figure these things out. it's futile.:) it was a good routine, she looks good and leave it at that.

I agree with everyone else. She looks really good and who knows what the judges are focusing on. I'm sure her coach is working on the minor details as they always try to perfect routines lol. Hope she continues to have a great season :)

As someone else said--different region, different scores. I noticed in reading posts and looking at video here that other regions have MUCH higher scores than we do here (and our girls score higher elsewhere). Don't worry about it!

Beautiful routine and beautifully executed, you must be very proud.

Agree with the other posters that it's best not to try and figure out the judges, you can drive yourself insane.

Having said that I'm the type that does try to work out where deductions were, cos that's the way I am!!!

I'm not a judge and your scoring is different to ours so it may not be at all relevant but in the UK her back tuck would incur at least a 0.3 deduction for not being tucked (ie her hips don't reach less than a 90 degree angle).

As someone else said--different region, different scores. I noticed in reading posts and looking at video here that other regions have MUCH higher scores than we do here (and our girls score higher elsewhere). Don't worry about it!

We are in Region 4 also, and I agree that the scoring seems much tougher here. I am looking forward to DD competing in Florida (first time out of our region). It will be interesting to see the differences.

Sorry to hijack....
Your DD's routine looks great and aside from what others have already mentioned there is no reason to worry if she is consistently scoring in the 9's. That is always a great score!

Thank you for the compliments, yes, I am very proud of her. I’m not overly worried about her deductions and I am happy with her scores not matter what they are as long as her heart is in it. I am just curious what they are. *I* thought she is getting nailed in her turn because to me it looks like she is falling out of it. Her coach has changed her routine 5 times since she got it in July and it looks nothing like it did. They changed her 1 1/2 turn and she said she is supposed to do that, but to me it looks like she is saving herself from a fall, since this change her scores have gone down.

What is a little frustrating to me is that I have been told they are not worried about her as a lvl 7 or even so much as an 8 because she is going to be a solid 9 and 10 and they know it will all come together. Fine, I guess that is part of the price of practicing with the 9’s and 10’s and not the core lvl 7 group who has a different coach. So I sometimes wonder if little things are over looked since they are not so worried about her lvl 7 year and she does score and place well enough.

There is a gymnast in our gym who scored high 9s throughout L4 and L5. And now in L6 can't get past the high 8s. And her routine looks very clean and as good as the other levels. I too have tried to figure out where points are being deducted from my daughter's routine and other gymnasts. Through the years and discussions with her coaches, though I somewhat have a small idea on where deductions can be potentially taken, it is still so difficult to tell. Your daughter's routine is clean and is a good routine. I've realized .1 deductions can quickly add up; not completing a skill (turn etc.), amplitude, height, leg position, toes, etc.

As a side note, my daughter's first meet of the season (last December) as a L8, fell on her but on her round off, front pike, front pike because she over rotated her first front pike. She was very disappointed with herself and she started to cry through her routine. In addition to the .9 deduction for the fall, they deducted an additional .4 for crying. The judges thought that she might have been hurt. But when they realized she was not, they thought it would be a good lesson to give her even though she is still very young. I was told judges have the latitude to give .4 for artistry. Our HC said she had never seen judges give out or take out that .4 but there is always a first time. My point being with this story is with all the leeway judges have in scoring, it is hard to determine what they see or are going to do.

When my DD told the HC at a meet that she was going to "get all 9's" the HC said, "No, you are going to listen to me and do what I tell you to do." Sounds like that's the message your DD is getting from her coaches as well... focus on doing what we tell you to do, not on getting a particular score.

Thank you for the compliments, yes, I am very proud of her. I’m not overly worried about her deductions and I am happy with her scores not matter what they are as long as her heart is in it. I am just curious what they are. *I* thought she is getting nailed in her turn because to me it looks like she is falling out of it. Her coach has changed her routine 5 times since she got it in July and it looks nothing like it did. They changed her 1 1/2 turn and she said she is supposed to do that, but to me it looks like she is saving herself from a fall, since this change her scores have gone down.

What is a little frustrating to me is that I have been told they are not worried about her as a lvl 7 or even so much as an 8 because she is going to be a solid 9 and 10 and they know it will all come together. Fine, I guess that is part of the price of practicing with the 9’s and 10’s and not the core lvl 7 group who has a different coach. So I sometimes wonder if little things are over looked since they are not so worried about her lvl 7 year and she does score and place well enough.

I think as parents we are concerned about the here and now. And the only way we can tell how our daughter is doing is by their scores at meets. The coaches I THINK have a different perspective. Looks like the coaches have a bigger picture in store for your daughter. Like you, I also wonder why the coach keeps changing my daughter's routine. Her beam and floor routine is more difficult than any of our other Level 8s. She has so many tumbling passes to work with, she sometimes does not know until after warm up what the coach will have her use. I am sure it is a good thing that she starts being proficient in many tumbling passes before she hits level 9 or 10. But it could also be affecting her scores. que sera sera.

She has a very nice routine and she does a nice job with it. I think most of the things that might get a deduction have been mentioned. One of the things I saw too was when she does a back roll into a split she bounced a bit that can be a deductions it should be smooth without a bounce. And the first leap split I saw could be better. I couldn't tell if she was smiling and "selling" the routine either from the video but Presentation is a big part of the score too. If you are out of state too you start with a disadvantage.

I know your not suposed to but it happens. Judges are only human and there are times their personal feelings have an impact on the scores they give especially in the "up to this amount for a deduction". You know where they can take for example "UP to .5 for a deduction" So it could be zero through .5. I also think that judges do have favorites too where they take less off for the favorites. I've seen what I would call a favorite gymnast fall 3 times on the beam and do a so so routine and come out with a 9.3. Everyone I was sitting with was shocked at the score I was always told it was a .5 deduction for each fall that would have been a 1.5 pt deduction which means if everything else was perfect the most she could have received was an 8.5 and it wasn't perfect after the 2nd fall thats for sure.

Just be her cheerleader and support her with praise and encouragement when you can.

You will drive yourself crazy trying to figure out what the judges saw or didn't see to deduct from. It's frustraiting but you just have to roll with the punches and know in your heart how great your kid does and be there to cheer her/him on.

To be quite blunt, scoring should never be a parent's concern. EVER. And I don't mean as a parent you can't have emotional reactions to your DD's scores - of course you will, that's what a parent does. What I am referring to is, knowing what deductions are being taken, why, etc. That's what your coaches are there for, and if they don't know, that's a problem and your red flag. All this said, as long as the judges are consistent in their scoring at a meet, it really doesn't matter whether your score is higher or lower than usual. Judging is done by humans, hence human judgement is a factor in the end result.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back