WAG cast handstand taking forever

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hi everyone one of my best friends at my gym is a good level 8 who struggles a lot with bars. she mounts the high bar then does an overshoot then kip squat on kip cast free hip layout flyaway. she has been working cast handstands A LOT for almost 2 years now and she can sometimes almost make it all the way up but never hits handstand. she is extremely frustrated and i feel bad because its taken her so long. what can she do to get it all the way up there? why does it take people longer than others? thanks

Is it a fear or power/balance issue? Dd can do it on low bar but has a mental block on high bar. She can do it with a coach standing there but nit on her own because she fears going over backwards accidentally...

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

I don't have the answer, but I am posting here bc my daughter is struggling with the same skill, so I am interested to hear what others say.

She refuses to do the straddle as she wants to get it "right" (meaning the more difficult way). Somehow she sees straddling as cheating (herself)...lol...

I don't have the answer, but I am posting here bc my daughter is struggling with the same skill, so I am interested to hear what others say.

She refuses to do the straddle as she wants to get it "right" (meaning the more difficult way). Somehow she sees straddling as cheating (herself)...lol...

Several coaches here have said that the straddle is more difficult technique wise so you could try to sell it that way. Also, dd's coaches are of the opinion that the more the girls practice the straddle hs, the stronger and more confident they will become in the general skill, which will help eventually with the straight body cast hs, if they choose to use it later.

Sent from my AT100 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Mustafina Uneven Bars - Olympics 2012 Gymnastics - YouTube

Mustafina took gold in the event finals at the Olympics, and she straddles.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back