Parents Checking in after Hills Maryland Classic

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Just got back from Em's second meet of the season, and I'm happy to say she had a great meet. She was able to compete beam this meet along with bars and vault, we are hoping her leg will be strong enough to do floor by the middle of February - she still does not have enough "punch" to make her double salto pass.
Anyhow, did a half-on/half-off vault, took a step on the landing each time and still is working on building up her run but it was good enough for 8.45 - just missed a medal :(
Bars was OK, she made her handstand pirouette and barely hit her feet on the floor when she came around but one judge did not give her credit for a full handstand and put her start value at 9.2 so final score was a 7.8. Em has struggled with bars, says her knee brace keeps her from kipping properly as it tends to hang up on the bars, so she was not too unhappy with her score.
This was the first time Em competed beam since tearing her ACL. She had to change her series to a cartwheel/roundoff due to strength issues in her leg, and just started working them on the high beam this week. She had a HUGE wobble after the roundoff, but managed to stay on the beam and not grab her legs so got credit for the series. No other major wobbles and both judges gave her a start value of 10.0 with a final score of 8.6 which tied her for 4th/awarded 6th place :D Needless to say, her coach is thrilled with her, and Em's pretty happy with herself. I'm so proud of Em and how far she has come I can't stop smiling.
Our next meet is next Saturday - we are headed to Florida for the Sand Dollar meet in Orlando. I'm so tired of cold and snow, I can't wait to spend some time in the sun! Anyone else headed to the Sand Dollar?

Awesome job, Emily! Awesome job also to her parents and her coach for having a reasonable plan to bring her back into the sport she loves gradually and not risk long term healing with too much too soon!

Thanks, we are so proud of her! It's been a much slower recovery than Em would have liked, but as we keep reminding her, she is not a year post-op at this point. Her surgery was April 13, 2010 so what she has done so far is amazing. And yes we are really fortunate to have a coach who loves and cares for her team kids like they were her own - she has helped Em learn to find the best in herself.

This was Em's beam routine today. She only started working this series on the high beam this past Thursday!
[video=youtube;ovYi1YAXEdQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovYi1YAXEdQ[/video]

It's amazing to see anyone out there competing who had such a serious injury. Best of luck to her.

Thanks! She is a pretty amazing kid :D DH and I count ourselves fortunate to have 3 pretty amazing kids. DS who is 21 has Aspergers Syndrome (on the autism spectrum) and is now in his sophmore year of college and doing well. Older DD is the first gymnast from our gym to go NCAA - she is at Wilson College, a D3 school in Pa. She will have to sit out most of this season after breaking her ankle playing soccer in September that required surgery to put a plate and 8 screws in her ankle. The ortho just cleared her to return to full activity over the next 4-6 weeks, but she has never really stopped - just slowed down. Em just finally finished(hopefully) physical therapy for her knee after going 2-3 times a week since her surgery in April. She did cut back on her hours at the gym right after surgery, but for the most part has continued to be at the gym 16+ hours a week plus PT since she got hurt. She will be 17 in February so has pretty much spent her "sweet 16" year dealing with her knee, and she has done it with amazing grace and composure. She has literally grown up in our gym but over this past year has really come into her own as a leader and positive role model for the younger girls. :thumbsup:

She looks great! Congrats to her for getting back up there and doing so well even after an injury! You must be a proud mommy!

She did a wonderful job. I think she looked great up there. Even Kadee (5 yrs old) said "Wow Mommy, she is so good. And she even has a bum knee"..lmbo. Kids see things in the simplist form dont they?

Congrats to her for hanging in there and coming back. It must be so difficult it seems difficult enough for them to stick with this sport without injuries at her age but to stick with it and come back from a major injury is something to be proud of! She looks really good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back