WAG Coach brag!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Aero

Coach
So I just had to brag about this! Tonight, after working on it specifically for only about two weeks, Giada (one of my advanced girls) got her pike press handstand, one of the hardest types of presses in gymnastics! I am SO PROUD! This is due to a long term conditioning plan that was put in place to help her and one of her other teammates get extremely proficient with press handstands of all varieties, as well as learn how to do planches. Here's the awesome video of her second successful attempt ever:

Rachelle (other girl in the video) is also close to her manna support, another very difficult strength skill. I'll probably be posting that here when she gets it. I also have a bunch of girls starting to understand perfect handstand shapes, too.
Photo_Feb_01_4_30_55_PM.jpg

It's so great to see that I am successfully providing a solid, effective conditioning program for my gymnasts, and I can tell they love seeing all these strength gains, too. I am a proud coach!!! :D

Awesome! Totally an excuse to be bragging! And would you just look at her muscles!!
I need a slice of your conditioning :D

That's awesome, but....

Do you have consent to post these videos, from the gymnasts and parents, on a public forum? Written, as well as verbal?

Yeah, I was actually wondering if you accidentally posted this publicly instead of in the private coach forum.

In response to all the concerns, I do have consent to post their videos here. I made it clear in the initial parent meeting last year when I first started my team that I wanted to post videos here with the intent of the community assisting me in matters where I simply do not have enough experience yet. I cannot even fathom the number of years of experience all the members of this board have collectively, but it is simply one of the best gymnastics resources on the web. This is why I post my videos here, with the intent of learning, especially from the veteran members who have been around the block and seen it all. I am very "green," as I've only been into competitive coaching for one year (first team anniversary is on February 6th :D), but I almost feel like I am at an unfair advantage with all the other new coaches in the world because of the knowledge this website has given me! :p That being said, there is still so much I have to learn, because the rabbit hole goes so deep with this sport! I readily admit that I really do not know that much, and I am always ready to learn from those more experienced than me.

The main reason I mention their names is because I want my ChalkBucket family to know my girls and watch them grow over the long term. There have been numerous threads on this site about gymnasts, their names, ages, levels, and videos posted of their skills and meets, and honestly I love following these girls and seeing how they get better and better. They are an inspiration for me as a coach and an example of what I can achieve with my girls if I work hard enough and better myself as a coach. Am I selfish to want all of you to know my girls by name and be familiar with their accomplishments? I'm not sure. :confused:

All that aside, I do thank you all for being concerned. It does show that you care.

As far as the sheer strength and active flexibility of Giada, I am still dumbfounded. Danell Leyva is one of the only gymnasts to do this variety of press handstand recently, and he's an elite level MALE gymnast! I am convinced my conditioning program is effective at this point. I just have to keep developing it. Stagnation is the end of progress. I'd be happy to share with you @Sari. Are you interested?

As far as the sheer strength and active flexibility of Giada, I am still dumbfounded. Danell Leyva is one of the only gymnasts to do this variety of press handstand recently, and he's an elite level MALE gymnast! I am convinced my conditioning program is effective at this point. I just have to keep developing it. Stagnation is the end of progress. I'd be happy to share with you @Sari. Are you interested?

The press handstand has a lot to do with with body shape too. Pink used to be able to to do a pike press. but her legs are so long now she can't get them under her without hitting the floor, on paralettes no problem, mind you she is strong and bendy too, she was the only one in her gym that could do a manna.

Yep dd could do a pike press too. Her body shape isn't unlike Giada's.

Lovely to see and follow your gymnasts progress :).

I'd love to see your conditioning program if you don't mind sharing!

So Giada came from a rec class experience one year ago? That is amazing!

Reactions: sce
I would also love to see your conditioning program! We work a lot of presses but don't have any that look like that!

For all those who would like to see my conditioning, I'll post it below. But first, a quick explanation. Giada and Rachelle go three times a week, for three hour practices (nine hours per week). I assign a different conditioning sheet for each day. Day 1 is pretty standard stuff for the most part. Day 2 is all activity flexibility-type exercises witch emphasis on muscle tension and form. Day 3 is all about skill specific conditioning, as well as heavy emphasis on press handstand skills and planche training. I haven't written down a set plan for day 3 because I change it every week with new exercises, but we do have some staples that we go to consistently.

Conditioning (Day 1)

Giada, Rachelle

Stomach (3x)

· 15 “V” ups/20 bicycles *
· 26 twist ups
· 8 “L” pike raises/16 knee ups *
· 20 butt ups/20 reverse crunches *
· 35 hollow rocks
· 5 candle lifts

Arms (3x)

· 10 triceps push ups
· 6 bar dips
· 10 pectoralis push ups
· 8 overgrip pull ups
· 8 hanging dips/14 bench dips *
· 8 undergrip pull ups

Back/Butt (3x)

· 16 horizontal pull ups
· 20 reverse sit ups
· 35 super girl rocks
· 20 needle kicks/20 front kicks (each leg, ankle weights) *
· 20 heel drives/22 hip lifts *
· 20 block raises

Legs (3x)

· 18 candle roll tuck jumps
· 20 box jumps (green block)
· 35 toe rises
· 35 heel rises
· 5 hamstring curls (partner assisted)
· 15 leg flexors (each leg, 4 angles)

* Exercises with slashes alternate with sets; e.g. set 1 will be "V" ups, on set 2 "V" ups will be replaced by bicycles, and set 3 will return to "V" ups again.

Conditioning (Day 2)

Giada, Rachelle

Leg Active Flex (3x)

· Front scale (12 sec, each leg)
· Side scale (12 sec, each leg)
· Arabesque scale (12 sec, each leg)
· 5 grande ronde de jambes (each leg)
· Needle scale (12 sec, each leg)
· 18 pike taps (each leg)
· 18 straddle taps (each leg)
· 18 backward taps (each leg)
· “L” hang (12 sec)
· Straddle hang (12 sec)

Trunk/Upper Body Active Flex (3x)

· Anchored arch hold (12 sec)
· Anchored hollow hold (12 sec)
· Bridge hold (20 sec)
· Hollow bridge hold (25 sec)
· Elevated single leg planche hold (12 sec, each leg)
· Tucked front lever hang hold (12 sec)
· Tucked back lever hang hold (12 sec)
· Candle hang (12 sec)
· Chin hang (12 sec)

Support Active Flex (3x)

· Tuck support (6 sec)
· Wolf support (6 sec, each leg)
· Pike support (6 sec)
· Straddle support (6 sec)
· Tuck planche support (6 sec)
· Manna support (4 sec)
· 4 press handstands

I always encourage the girls to put 100% effort into their exercises, even if they can't do it yet, or can't do it well. I assure them that if they do this, they will eventually achieve their goals with the difficult skills and exercises. And they are definitely seeing the results now, which is encouraging them to work harder! If you have any further questions about these plans, fire away! I love sharing. :) If you have any suggestions, too, please share! I'm always looking for new conditioning ideas, and I admit I certainly don't know everything. The collective experience on this board is astounding and I've learned so much from it in the last year.

Try having her work on dips that finish in the compressed pike position similar to the snip below. Concentrate on rounded low back and shoulders (for stability/consistency during presses) at the end of the lift into the pike. The lift motion can start as early during the dip as she's able as long as her head stays tucked in and her shoulder blades are rounding with her shoulders.

She's gonna be a beast because of your diligent efforts and..... well..... some kids just have that in them.

Attachments

• upload_2015-2-8_0-58-41.png
    upload_2015-2-8_0-58-41.png
    111 KB · Views: 51
Very impressive! And I love your strength program, I wish my girls had more time to do all of that. They are all struggling with presses of any kind- though with only coming 3 hrs/week, it's impossible to devote too much time to them. Hoping we will get there eventually!

The press handstand has a lot to do with with body shape too. Pink used to be able to to do a pike press. but her legs are so long now she can't get them under her without hitting the floor, on paralettes no problem, mind you she is strong and bendy too, she was the only one in her gym that could do a manna.
Same for my dd....her legs are very long comparatively so she can only do this on paralettes.

Can I ask how long your conditioning program takes? It just looks a lot and I was wondering about the balance with learning skills?

There's a gym here with suberbly conditioned girls, who rarely compete above l6-ish. Went to see a practice and in a 3 hr session an hour was used doing warm ups, basic skills and dance elements. An hour conditioning (at least), meant the girls got about 40 mins actually training apparatus. Which explained their low skill levels.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back