Coaching Certification?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

hawaii_gymnast

Coach
Gymnast
Judge
This is purely out of curiousity, what is the process for gymnastics coaching certification everywhere? Also do you like the process or do you think changes need to be made? I'm trying to compare Canadas NCCP system to others just to see how it compares.

Over here there are 5 levels - level 1 = assistant coach, level 2 - coach, level 3 - club coach, level 4 - senior club coach, level 5 - National performance coach - there is also International performance coach I think.

You have to be at least 16 years of age to do level 1 and there are quite a few disciplines to become qualified in - General, WAG, MAG, RHY, TRA, Pre-School and so on.
You can be level 5 in one discipline but usually still have to do level 1 in another (eg I am level 4 Women's but only level 1 pre-school)

The courses are very expensive but very good. You get taught a lot and have a lot of hands on practice. Each level requires more hours on the course. For level 1 you do 4 days, each one 9-5. You also have to complete a logbook once the course is finished and you must have a mentor who has to sign off most of your logbook and give you written and verbal feedback. You then take an exam - for level 2 (IIRC) and above this involves a written paper and a practical exam!

In order to take level 5 you have to have a gymnast on National Team.

At each level the skills you are allowed to teach become more and more difficult and coaches are strictly forbidden to teach outside of their qualification.
level 1 coaches can only coach under direct supervision of a level 2 or above coach.
Level 2 coaches can run a club, but a level 3 or above coach must be actively mentoring them and should attend sessions.
Level 3 and above are deemed competent enough to run a club without supervision!
You can find out more on the British Gymnastics Website Downloads | Qualifications | Coaching | Departments

I personally like the system other than the cost! Each course is a lot of hard work, but in my opinion it is worth it to become a better coach.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back