Parents Competing in a level where the pre-requisite score was never met?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I personally would not be upset about the gym doing this for someone. The way I'd look it at is that some day that may be my DD in that situation, and knowing they would do what it takes (taking just her to a meet, having a judge come in) to help her test out would make me more comfortable there. What would be worse is a gym that would force a girl to repeat a level for an entire year when she missed qualifying for move up by .1 points the prior year...even when she was ready to go for the next level up.

Just to clarify...I was not at all upset with our gym for doing this. As I said, the girl was ready to move up and needed a meet in order to get the qualifying mobility score. My issue was the SECRECY. They didn't tell ANYONE. (And told the family and the 10 year old girl not to tell any of her teammates, etc.) Why? Why not celebrate this? Why so hush hush? That just makes the whole thing seem sneaky and underhanded to me.

And that is what I mentioned it here. According to the OP, no one in her gym has any clue as to how or where or when this girl qualified. So I thought maybe the same thing happened?

Just to clarify...I was not at all upset with our gym for doing this. As I said, the girl was ready to move up and needed a meet in order to get the qualifying mobility score. My issue was the SECRECY. They didn't tell ANYONE. (And told the family and the 10 year old girl not to tell any of her teammates, etc.) Why? Why not celebrate this? Why so hush hush? That just makes the whole thing seem sneaky and underhanded to me.

And that is what I mentioned it here. According to the OP, no one in her gym has any clue as to how or where or when this girl qualified. So I thought maybe the same thing happened?

I know you weren't upset about them doing it, but instead about how it was handled...sorry if my post came off that way ;). A possible theory for the secrecy could be that they didn't want to put even more pressure on the girl to get her scores (which there would have been had the whole gym knew about what was happening ahead of time)...imagine all these people knowing where you were going and why (some of which may be jealous, etc. over it cause they felt they should be able to do it too), and then then having to come back and tell them all you *didn't* get the score you needed? That would be a ton of pressure added to an already stressful thing. If my DD was doing such a thing (she never did/had to...I'm just imagining how I would feel if so), I probably would want it kept quiet too...yeah I may tell a few close friends and ask them to keep it quiet, etc. but I certainly wouldn't want it to be general knowledge until it was all over with.

No offense but it certainly wouldn't hurt a girl to repeat a level that they could not manage to score a 31 AA in. Gymnastics just gets harder. If you can't score a 31 AA in level 6 you likely will not be very successful in level 7. I know there are exceptions to this like BWO fears etc, but GENERALLY this is the truth.

I totally agree that generally this is very, very true...but there are exceptions. In gymnastics A LOT can change in a 6 months. Like a girl may not have been able to get a 31 the prior year cause she was missing a compulsary skill, etc., but then 6 months later got that skill, and then some, and is ready for the next level (why not test them out and let them progress instead of repeating if they can get the old level's score in one meet?). I've also seen lots of girls w/ poor back flexbility who really struggle on the BWO on L6 beam (and it hurts on floor too cause they really judge that hard), but can throw L7+ skills like no tomorrow. There are just exceptions sometimes, and a gym that looks at the individual gymnast, and not just numbers of the the scores, would be a good gym IMO.

No offense but it certainly wouldn't hurt a girl to repeat a level that they could not manage to score a 31 AA in. Gymnastics just gets harder. If you can't score a 31 AA in level 6 you likely will not be very successful in level 7. I know there are exceptions to this like BWO fears etc, but GENERALLY this is the truth.

I agree. Even with a fear of a skill, the other events should be good enough to pull the girl passed 31.

I thought a back layout was one of the requirements for level 7 floor? If so, how can you avoid back tumbling in level 7? I know in the higher levels you can avoid it, but haven't seen a way around it in level 7.

She would have a lower start value for not having a special requirement. She'd start with a 9.5. She could also get deductions if she had no back tumble pass at all (balance of skills in the routines).

But this is also my problem, as parent president, I have to represent the gym on behalf of the parents. And if there are things going on that affect not only my daughter but the other 100 kids I need to look into it. My daughter could care less because she is other girl is no competition. But the rules apply to all kids- you dont hit the score you dont move up. And even if she was judged privately there is no way she would have been able to qualify. When you cant do main elements required in a routine your not going to qualify.

as i said, this will all come out in the wash near the end of season when scores are fact checked by your state committee. in the meantime, let it go. this one is not your place even as parent president. if it is later found that someone 'knowingly' broke the rules, then come back at that time on how to handle it.

How they are getting around that is not having her do any of the skills that she couldnt do in 6. No back tumbling, no BWO on the beam, no flyaway.

You can't score that well in level 7 with this, as you need a back layout on floor, so you would be missing a special requirement. Not quite as bad in level 6, but still significant deductions. Also, a flyaway dismount either front or back is necessary as a special requirement as well. A salto dismount must be performed but the only allowable ones in level 7 are a front or back flyaway. It is possible she is competing in a prep-op level which is the same session time as level 7, that wouldn't be unusual in some places. If not, I wouldn't be too concerned because she may not go to state anyway as it is.

But you don't represent the gym in that capacity. this is a coaching issue/decision, it has nothing to do with you as a parent or any other parents in the gym.
But this is also my problem, as parent president, I have to represent the gym on behalf of the parents. And if there are things going on that affect not only my daughter but the other 100 kids I need to look into it. My daughter could care less because she is other girl is no competition. But the rules apply to all kids- you dont hit the score you dont move up. And even if she was judged privately there is no way she would have been able to qualify. When you cant do main elements required in a routine your not going to qualify.

JK, looking back, it seems that your gym competes YMCA meets as well. Are YMCA gymnasts expected to meet the same standards as USAG? perhaps she is level 7 for YMCA only.

I agree. Even with a fear of a skill, the other events should be good enough to pull the girl passed 31.

She would have a lower start value for not having a special requirement. She'd start with a 9.5. She could also get deductions if she had no back tumble pass at all (balance of skills in the routines).

She does not have it and they just put something else into her routine and she takes the deduction.

JK, looking back, it seems that your gym competes YMCA meets as well. Are YMCA gymnasts expected to meet the same standards as USAG? perhaps she is level 7 for YMCA only.

We actually compete both. We have to follow both rules though. She struggled to achieve the 31 at Y meets also. Her last 6 meet at a Y she scored a 26. And we both know, that Y is a little easier.

You can't score that well in level 7 with this, as you need a back layout on floor, so you would be missing a special requirement. Not quite as bad in level 6, but still significant deductions. Also, a flyaway dismount either front or back is necessary as a special requirement as well. A salto dismount must be performed but the only allowable ones in level 7 are a front or back flyaway. It is possible she is competing in a prep-op level which is the same session time as level 7, that wouldn't be unusual in some places. If not, I wouldn't be too concerned because she may not go to state anyway as it is.

She has been just taking the deductionns. We had a meet this past weekend and she competed 7 and only scored a 29

as i said, this will all come out in the wash near the end of season when scores are fact checked by your state committee. in the meantime, let it go. this one is not your place even as parent president. if it is later found that someone 'knowingly' broke the rules, then come back at that time on how to handle it.

I agree and that's what I am going to do. Because as the saying goes.. Karma is a dinger :)

There isn't anything to approach. That is between the child, the coach and the child's parents and has nothing to do with anyone else in the gym.
This is just not true. If true, it affects everyone in the gym, on the team, and in any meets she participates in. If it's just between the coach and child/parents, they wouldn't have REQUIRED mobility scores. I'd be just as concerned.

I have a question that I have no idea what the answer is--we're all assuming this is USAG, but isn't the OP at a Y gym now? Do Y meets have the same mobility scores that USAG does?

I have a question that I have no idea what the answer is--we're all assuming this is USAG, but isn't the OP at a Y gym now? Do Y meets have the same mobility scores that USAG does?

She said they compete both and I think she said the girl in question is competing USAG.

Sent from my ADR6400L using ChalkBucket mobile app

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back