Coaches Competition order

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymMom&Coach

Coach
Proud Parent
How do you determine your event comp. order? I know some gyms keep it the same at every event at every meet. Some will stagger their better competitors with their weaker ones...
What do you do?

Here we are the same as Bog, it is randomly decided. However at invitationals sometimes the judges will let you change the order if we have different age groups so the height of equipment doesn't need to be adjusted all the time.

I coach a beginning level and try to set each kid up to do well. I start each event with a couple kids I feel confident will do well and remember the routines and end with a couple strong ones. My habitual routine forgetters so near the end so they have a chance to see a lot of examples and reminders before their turn. :) I mix up the order on each event so they have each have a chance to go near the beginning/middle/end. I sit them in order while they wait so I also keep in mind who will behave together and who might calm a nervous teammate.

I don't think it really matters at all, nor should it. But I use it as a little incentive. My group knows that the girls working hardest/performing best leading up to a meet go last. I think a little healthy competition between them is good. And if the scores do happen to build, then we 're all set.

Often the competitions do that. If I have the choice I will put more consistent gymnasts first who are quite solid, and then less sure gymnasts in the middle with the highest scoring gymnasts last. I do mix it up a bit so every gets a turn of different spots in the line up.

If I have a choice, and we are first up on the first event, then weakest to strongest. If the we are in second flight, then medium to strongest then weakest.

At our gym, for the first couple meets, HC will try to alternate stronger / weaker on the event... but she also has girls divided by big bar setting / small bar setting... and that way, if half the group has to rotate ahead of the others, it is still all good.
Later in the season, she will try to put someone who hasn't qualified for Nationals toward the beginning... before the judges get tired of seeing the same routine (compulsories) or just plain tired (optionals).
Fortunately, most of our optionals that competed have already qualified in the first meet :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back