WAG Curious score opinions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Sometimes judges catch every little error and sometimes judges miss them. I've seen judges miss an entire skill and deduct the gymnast thinking they missed an element. I've also seen judges give credit for a skill they should not have because of execution. It is that (human error, biases) and knowing all the skills and possible deductions that makes understanding scoring impossible. A coach who advocates for errors in judge scoring is helpful.

Is this somehow in response to my previous post?

I think it's a respond to my original post. It a video of level 4 bars.

As for the sentiment. I definitely see what level 4 taught my kid on each event and how that builds in level 5.

As for your post. Yes scoring is baffling and some judges clearly let things go while others take every little thing. Judges are humans and miss things too.

I would have guessed 8.5 ish. So I was pretty close.

It also depends, I think on what the judges are expecting from the top girls in the area and at the meet execution- wise.... Seems some meets they deduct more for lack of cast height, etc.

shrug. It's a judged sport, and you are meant to be compared against perfection, but it seems to me that rarely occurs.

Also, judges are human, and though they are supposed to be objective, and judge each routine on its own merits, I have seen some things that make me firmly speculate that the subconscious of the judges come into play.

For example, in our state/ region the SAME judges are at every meet. The girls know them, and I can't help but think the judges know the gyms/ girls.

The same smallish group of girls tend to place in the top 3, and the same group of girls tend to be in the middle of the pack. I don't think it's statistically possible that some of these girls NEVER have a bad day. Just saying.

I would expect differences at a state meet vs a season meet. By this I mean, I would expect at states if their is a min/max for something they would take max. And that has been our experience in JO, Xcel and IGC.

I would expect differences at a state meet vs a season meet. By this I mean, I would expect at states if their is a min/max for something they would take max. And that has been our experience in JO, Xcel and IGC.

For the purposes of this thread because the OP's dsughter is also a Level 4 like your daughter, that might be true. However, as you get to the higher levels, it is only at a state meet where if a gymnast is .2 or less (I've even seen/heard .3-depending on how aggressive your coach is) than the regional qualifying score, they'll increase the lowest event score to match qualifying score. I do know if you are .1 from the qualifying score it is automatically increased. There certainly are harsh judges, but for the most part, they don't try to be too harsh. It is only at the elite level where kids are judged very harshly and every deduction is taken.

For the purposes of this thread because the OP's dsughter is also a Level 4 like your daughter, that might be true. However, as you get to the higher levels, it is only at a state meet where if a gymnast is .2 or less (I've even seen/heard .3-depending on how aggressive your coach is) than the regional qualifying score, they'll increase the lowest event score to match qualifying score. I do know if you are .1 from the qualifying score it is automatically increased. There certainly are harsh judges, but for the most part, they don't try to be too harsh. It is only at the elite level where kids are judged very harshly and every deduction is taken.
Mine is a L5 currently. So of course I was not speaking of JO optionals. And that aside.

I didn't understand what you posted at all. Or perhaps you were not understanding me because I have no idea how aggressive coaches or regional qualifiying play in to how a routine is judged at meet. Or what you meant by it. And we have done Regionals in Xcel. So let me clarify where I was coming from.

There is a skill what skill really doesn't matter, nor the level. Again, we have done JO, Xcel and IGC.

So Skill X, not doing it well could cause a deduction from say 0.3-0.5. It seems (again, based on our experience at state meets in JO, Xcel and IGC). That a state meet they are more likely to take the max deduction of 0.5. Where during the season, more likely to take 0.3 off.

And this is my observation not just based on my child or my childs team. You spend the season watching the same routines (the advantage of compulsory is everyone is doing the same stuff). So you start to get a sense of how the kids score, how certain gyms score. Which gyms do better at vault vs which better at floor and so on. Then you get to states and you see the scores drop overall. Again the gym who rocks vault is still rocking vault. The kids who are excellent on floor are still excellent and top placers. And everyones scores go down.

So perhaps during the season the judge had a .1-.3 range on element and took 0.1 yet at states its a loss of 0.3. The element that had a 0.3-0.5 range, during the season it was a 0.3 loss yet at states they are taking the max of 0.5 for a loss.

That was my point and has been our experience and all or state meets of which we have had 6. Oddly the most striking was bars and vault last year. Where every kids score took a hit. Coach flat out said they were taking max deductions on every kid.

Funny how different states/regions can be! At state last year, scores were higher than usual by .3-.5 per event!

I was going to say the same thing. Scores at our state meets definitely seem higher than any previous meet during the season. I always felt like the judges were extra nice at the state meet. :)

I understand you completely idw4mlo but I can see why you did not completely understand my post. Once you get out of the lower levels and into levels that have regional meets (I'm talking JO-Level 7 and up) and skills are a little more complicated, you might understand what I am taking about. I did specifically qualify that part of my post about regional qualifying and coach assertiveness to be referring to the higher levels and not your daughter's level. The point I was trying to make is that when my daughter was in compulsory and now in optionals that like the two posters stated above, it too is my experience and observation that state meet scores are typically higher for whatever reason. I went on to try to make my point by explaining what sometimes goes on in Levels 9 and 10 at state meets which I probably should not have.

Funny how different states/regions can be! At state last year, scores were higher than usual by .3-.5 per event!

Yeah at our state meets everyone randomly gets 9.6s after barely breaking 9s all season. But we do have a long season so a little of it is that effect and then we also have pretty large level 3 and 4 states so maybe the judges just get tired. I don't know. There's no way max deductions are being taken. I don't really mind except it's tricky when you have a kid you know will repeat because unless they were missing skills at the state meet they oftentimes score lower at the first meet of the next season five months later...

Scoring really can just vary greatly at some meets. Last year at state meet the compulsory vaults scored on average at least .5 higher than previous meets and previous years. When we looked at the stats (statewide) 4/5 of the girls were at a 9 or above, compared to previous years where about 1/4 of the girls scored in the 9's. I have a hard time believing that all the gyms in the state somehow dramatically improved their vault technique in the past year.

Like I said....it's a judged sport. As a parent, you should really strive to not focus on scores....

Look at the overall progression of your daughter, is she happy, safe, learning new things? If so, you should be satisfied. If not, you may need to reconsider.

And, I will admit that when my daughter was in compulsories, I was very interested in scoring ( to the extent that I knew point deductions for all sorts of things). After she spent a few years in optionals, it just became too much work... like learning a new language.

Now that she's quit, and moving onto another judged sport, ( figure skating) , I am finding it easier to dissassociate from the score aspect. I'm not even trying to understand how skating works!

Actually, the state meet is supposed to be their best meet of the season, therefore higher scores. It's not true that just because it's the state meet, we take the max deduction of everything. We are professionals: the smallest Level 1 meet gets the same courtesy as the largest optional meet. It may seem like the max is taken at the state meet, but it's probably because the really great routines are getting really great scores. Unless a judge always takes the max on an "up to" deduction, he/she will not do it just because it's the state meet.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back