Dance classes to augment gymnastics??

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

G

gymandswim

I was curious about dance lessons to help with poise and floor. Have you ever done or put your dd in lessons? If so was it a regular class or privates with a dance instructor. How many and how long? Did you notice a difference? At what age did you start the lessons? Do most gymnasts take dance or only those who need a little help?

Yes yes and yes. I put DD in a regular ballet class. Actually, her situation is backwards from most here. She's primarily a ballerina with some gym on the side! It does help though. Extension, poise, balance, flexibility, toepoint, presentation....and probably more that I forgot.

(I just told my husband I'm posting about this again, this is my personal broken record topic lol. I could go on and on about this. DH just called me the 'CB angel of duh!' ROFL) That was a good natured jab at me btw, not at the starters of the topic!

I found this on the Woga site. If it's good enough for the gold medal behemoth I suppose it's worth a try! I know tons of gyms incorporate ballet for teams now, but this is the only actual album I found.
WOGA Ballet

Yes, yes, and yes from me as well!!! Dani was a cheerleader for 3 years before ever setting foot in a gymnastics gym or on a balance beam so poise and grace did not come naturally to her. She started out taking one ballet class a week and I have really seen a difference--especially on floor and on beam. Everything Linsul said I totally agree with!!

This is Dani's 2nd year doing the ballet (and gymnastics) and this past winter was her first time doing a show (she did the Nutcracker with the local ballet studio). She had a blast!!! She is actually doing another show this spring with the same studio. I really do think that the ballet and gymnastics go hand in hand and really complement each other.

I would highly reccommend a weekly ballet class.

Last edited:
My daughter does ballet and tap class in addition to her gymnastics training. I agree that it is very important. It teaches all of the things Linsul mentioned and also provides another opportunity for my daughter to perform in front of an audience at recitals or be evaluated by an examiner. Dance also gives discipline and routine. It was harder when she was younger because dance didn't hold her interest like gymnastics did. At one point she took a year off from dance but went back into the same group she was in the next year. I would recommend observing a few classes first before registering so you know it will be a good fit. We have studios that are more for fun and exercise with students of various ages and abilities and then there are the teacher's who are all about technique and all the girls in the class are at the same level.

Out level 4-9's do a dance class once a week for an hour.I personaly think it helps with everything!I have gotten comments about my dance being a lot better!Yay!Some people say they dont like it because its boring, but those are the ones who arent actually trying to do the routines and stuff correctly.Also our boys do it too!Hahaha it took a LOT of persauding to get them to do it and the parents to pay for it.I personally every team member should be taking at least one hour of dance a week. Even if its not untill optinals!

Dance is very important to gymnastics. My older daughters' were serious dancers before they started gymnastics. The dance allowed them to have great basics listed above, flexibilty and body awarenes that enhanced their gymnastics. My 4 year old dd takes dance too but I don't know if she is even old enough for her to get any benefits yet. But she loves it and has fun for now.
I forgot to add that all of our team girls take serious dance classes during their practice time. That way the dance is catered to what the owner wants the girls to learn for gymnastics.

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. All 3 of my girls started out in dance (tap and ballet, not serious kind) and my gymmie gave it up after 3 years to pursue gymnastics. In order to keep schedule conflicts down (and me running all over the place) each girl gets one sport/activity. I really feel that a good dance class would help. I am also trying to figure out how to make it work so it is fair to all the girls and me the taxi driver. My gymmie is the only one who is really passionate about her sport.

Similar to what optionals said, our team girls are required to take dance. The gym provides a 45 min dance lesson on Saturdays. A lot of girls don't show up though, especially if they live an hour plus away from the gym.

I've said this before, but I came to the gym world when my DH suggested knowing nothing really about it. But, having a strong background in ballet. Ballet (and other forms of dance) are phenomenal conditioning and preparation for gymnastics---plus tons of other sports. I'd say the same is true vice versa, as well.

Have you ever heard of pilates? That form of exercise is essentially how a dancer conditions are warms up. Which means that dance is well-rounded exercise. It both conditions and stretches, lenghtens and builds muscle.

If you need any more help with the dance thing, let me know.

I went into gymnastics with strong ballet training and it helped loads. (I could do a full turn on beam by end of 2nd class). Pilates is AMAZING I definatly reccomend it. It is required for my ballet training and it has made me super strong. Let me know if you have any questions

Thanks so much! OOOOO pilates....I had not even thought about doing pilates. When you say pilates, do you mean a video or a class? Do you think I should do a video with her 1-2x a week to help? (I know it would help me!) Any video recommendations? She is 8 by the way. I think after all this good advice, I will start investigating ballet studios.

At 8 (or any age under puberty), I'd suggest starting by doing a yoga for kids video (or class if you have one nearby--they're great!) If she likes it, then try a bit of pilates mat. A pilates mat class is very similar to a yoga class, just more intensely paced.

If she takes to it, when she is older (and more physically mature), try to find a pilates studio. You want to find training on the equipment AND mat to get the benefits.

There are several different schools of pilates. The original form, created by Joseph Pilates, is probably the one to look for if you are wanting it for gymnastics conditioning. He actually created pilates for male gymnasts and rehabilitation.

Good luck! Have fun!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back