Daughter's first level 5 meet

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

my4buffaloes

Proud Parent
I posted in my introduction how my daughter's gym wanted her to compete a level 5 meet with less than 2 weeks to learn the routines. Everyone advised against it and I appreciate all the advice, but we went ahead and let her compete. It was at her gym and the coaches were willing to teach her the routines, something they had previously not been willing to do. I felt like we needed to take advantage of that. She really, really wanted to do it. We had a long talk about how her season 4 was great and that it was over and that this meet was just bonus and she could do it for 2 reasons. 1 to get experience competing and 2 to have fun.

The meet was yesterday and she surprised us all. She did amazing. There were 5 girls competing level 5 and they didn't break it out by age at all. The other girls all looked older than Emma but it is hard to tell, she is so small. Here is the breakdown.

Vault 7.45 5th place (I am so happy she made it over!)
Bars 8.5 1st place
Beam 8.8 1st place (only one from her gym that didn't fall off)
Floor 8.6 4th place

2nd place all around

She has never placed first on bars or beam before and to do that at her first level 5 meet was great. I feel like now we are just 1 step ahead for next season whatever that brings. I just wanted to share, we are all so excited for her.

Well isn't that great news. GLad that the coaches decided to take the time to teach her properly.

Lovely results and you know things will only get better from here.

With only 5 girls, they wouldn't normally break the group for age, would they? I know my 11 year old competes against girls who are up to 13 years of age and they will only split the group if it reaches 30 gymnasts.

Congrats to her! Yeah, I can't imagine them splitting by age if there are only 5 girls competing total.

I'm slightly confused though--you mentioned the coaches willing to teach her the routines, when they wouldn't before. How are they supposed to learn the routines, if the coaches don't teach them?

Our gym does not have a level 5, 6, or 7, they do prep optionals instead. We want Emma to do level 5 (they had it years ago and then switched, we are not the only ones that want it brought back) rather than prep optional. I am still unclear whether they plan on having a level 5 next year or not, they won't really commit, but they did teach her and let her compete this weekend, so I figure that is a good sign.

As for splitting out the age groups, at all of her other meets they had split them out, at least to some extent (such as under 9 and over 9 and many meets each year was separate). So this was my first experience with them lumping them all together. Which was fine, just different.

I really think it is best to do compulsories and NOT prep.
There are certain cases where prep is the best choice (i.e, older gymnasts who want to have their own routines and/or gymnasts who are not as serious and want more fun) but overall, prep optional rarely seems to focus on the basics. Some coaches can do prep well and produce confident gymnasts who are ready for level 7 and above both physically and emotionally, but it's an easily tipped scale IMHO.

So I am very glad she is competing level 5. :)

fishchimes - that is exactly why we want her level 5 and not prep opts. The prep optionals are not serious and are older and just there to learn tumbling so they can eventually move on to cheerleading. Emma is there for gymnastics - this comes from her not me, these kids drive her crazy LOL.

That is truly amazing that she scored so well after such a short time. How great! Hope she does indeed get to do level 5!:)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back