Parents DD spine fracture update

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

S

Sydsmom

I'm not sure what drove this decision (although I think the injury freaked DD out). DD has decided to leave gymnastics. She hasn't said why, just that she was done. We told her we would support her decision no matter what, as we always have. Just not sure what she will do now.

She will find a new passion. My oldest is loving her music, which she never had time for before, in fact she loves it way more than gym. I am sure your DD will find all sorts of new things that interest her.

GYmnastics is very time, and money, consuming. I just realised that I do not have to pay a whole years tuition for two girls on team, usually that is a huge cheque in September, that is a great feeling.

I'm with bog- she will find something else to become passionate about. Good for her for being comfortable enough to tell you and it's great that you are being very supportive of her decision! Good luck to her with whatever she decides to pursue next. Who knows, maybe she will want to go back to the gym at some point for a recreational class.

For awhile she'll have to find some passion in non physically demanding activities, but she is 12? Lots to do in middle school and she may have some ideas about another sport she'd like to try.
I bet in no time, she'll be hooked on something.

Although I was an adult when I fractured two vertebrae it's a very scary feeling. Especially after being a gymnast- suddenly your body feels stiff and sore to move when it used to be free and flexible. I'd have days when I forgot, then I'd turn to check traffic at the road and feel it pull and just come crashing down. Obviously not everyone is the same but it hit me really hard psychologically.

I totally understand her giving up. I just wanted to protect myself and recover- I did nothing but PT, school, and rest for about 18m. I got really good at cross stitch :).Once I felt healed enough I went to ballet class- no weight bearing on the upper body, but enough movement and turns to gently get things going again. That made a huge difference in both my body and my confidence, and I did get back into adult gym, swimming etc.

Obviously that's just my experience, but she's only young and a year or so will leave her plenty of time to try new sports, or even get back into gym or acro. Give her time, and suggest she tries yoga, Pilates, ballet etc as part if her PT when she's up to it.

I agree with the others in that she will find plenty to do! My dd who is also 12 has discovered Musical Theatre over the summer and loves it! She is still doing gymnastics (this will be her last year) and ballet and is going to take a Broadway Tap class and a Contemporary/Lyrical dance class starting in the fall. My dd has found that there is so much to do and unfortunately she wants to do it ALL! Let your dd try new things and I am sure she will find a new passion. Keep us updated!!! We at CB love hearing about all the other activities gymmies (or ex-gymmies) are doing. It adds to the balance of everything!

Hi Sydsmom,

Both of my daughters quit gymnastics recently, so I know how you feel. It was way harder for me than it was for them. What I learned is that they want to try new things. My oldest now LOVES high school cheerleading, and my youngest has just taken up hip-hop dancing. They still go to the gym for tumbling once a week, which keeps them in shape. After your daughter recovers, I'm sure she will want to try something else, and will discover something new about herself. Good luck.

I'm not sure what drove this decision (although I think the injury freaked DD out). DD has decided to leave gymnastics. She hasn't said why, just that she was done. We told her we would support her decision no matter what, as we always have. Just not sure what she will do now.
I know it must come as a bit of a shock, but in some ways it is good that she can make this choice on her own terms. I have no doubt she will find something that will catch her passion.DD has been chatting a lot in the past few weeks about all different kinds of sports she would try if she had the time so I'm thinking we might be in your shoes soon. All the best to her and her recovery.

Hugs to both of you! When she's healed, I'm sure she can find another sport. I know so many competitive swimmers that were former gymnasts, but there are so many other choices out there too.

As I'm typing this, my dd is hobbling around on crutches & I'm kind of hoping this is the end of gymnastics for her (but definitely mixed emotions). I can somewhat understand how you feel and I will keep you & your dd in my thoughts. Best of luck to both of you & I pray that her recovery goes well.

I'm so sorry! I'm so glad she was able to make that decision on her own though. As someone who just had to have spine surgery I did not want to quit gymnastics and kept pushing it and pushing it. It hurt my back worse and it's made it harder to adjust to life without competing. Gigantic hug (but a gentle one for the back!) to you and your DD. It's a hard time for your DD now too, let her make the decisions but help support her because it might be a rollercoaster, she might want to come back to gym maybe not. Sending you lots of good thoughts!

Once she is healed she will find other sports and ways to stay active and happy! There are soooo many other things out there! My DD is not only doing gym but also middle school cheer, after school choir and probably drama this winter!

Thanks all!! So far she has said that she want's to try tennis!! I was supprised but we'll see. She is going out with a friend of the family this sunday to see what it's all about. Her back is so much better and there is no more pain when she arches!! The bone growing tool will come off next wednesday and she is done with PT the following Monday if her numbers are all good.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back