Parents dd very happy

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Galadriel

Proud Parent
she says she has an upgraded leap /jump(not sure what it comes under) for upcoming comp this weekend
She is changing from a switch split leap (i think) to a tour jete (?) - which i actually Dont know what it is! have had a quick Google and although she says it is harder and better me being ignorant Cant see it! But she says it is A GOOD THING so i am happy and fingers crossed it all goes as planned!
Everything else as normal apparently! Hope she pulls it off!

if relevant both are full turning (? i reckon?!) Also dd historically was AWFUL at anything jumpy but this has improved massively with puberty!
by the way if i am talking rubbish just shoot me down! I have been a gym mom for a lot of years but unfortunately am still clueless!

Last edited:
You are just like me! I am slowly figuring it out, but like you I sometimes have to look up videos online to try to figure out what skill she is talking about. As long as she is happy then life is good.

she says she has an upgraded leap /jump(not sure what it comes under) for upcoming comp this weekend
She is changing from a switch split leap (i think) to a tour jete (?) - which i actually Dont know what it is! have had a quick Google and although she says it is harder and better me being ignorant Cant see it! But she says it is A GOOD THING so i am happy and fingers crossed it all goes as planned!
Everything else as normal apparently! Hope she pulls it off!

As a former dancer I can tell you I always thought tour jete were much easier ( and prettier) than split switch leaps, but I don't know how gymnastics scores it.

A switch slip leap is an actual leap with the switch of the leading leg during the leap. A tour jete is essentially a kick forward and then a full turn to face the opposite direction with the orginal leading leg ending up behind you.

Either way, I hope it works out well for your DD.

Ha ha!
If it is easier then that wouldn't surprise me either!
There are a number of moves that are 'easier' that fall into the category that she Cant do them, and more difficult ones she seems to do with ease !
Crazy huh ?!
She is probably happy she cracked it!

As a former dancer I can tell you I always thought tour jete were much easier ( and prettier) than split switch leaps, but I don't know how gymnastics scores it.

A switch slip leap is an actual leap with the switch of the leading leg during the leap. A tour jete is essentially a kick forward and then a full turn to face the opposite direction with the orginal leading leg ending up behind you.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clarification: 1/2 turn.

this should help the visual a bit: Tour jete Drills - Tammy Biggs - YouTube

and only in women's gymnastics is stuff made up that makes no sense in math sometimes. example, a Def. coaches call it a full twisting geinger. but it really is 1 1/2 twisting fly away regrasp. or simply, a 1 1/2 twisting geinger. if a fly away half is a geinger, then adding a full twist in math makes it 1 1/2.

tour jete is a 1/2 turn. but in the video you can see the gymnast perform a tour jete with a 1/2 turn. some coaches call that a "1/2 twisting tour jete". but if a tour jete alone is a 1/2 turn, and you add a 1/2 turn, well...you get it. here is another below that is titled a "tour jete full". you can clearly see that it is 1 1/2 turns/rotations in the air. and you get to see the switch leap for those that don't know what that is.

Switch Leap - Tour Jete Full - YouTube

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back