Parents DD's Scary Fall

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

clrmom

Proud Parent
Tonight at practice, my dd was on bars. While doing her back hip circle, she didn't bring her hips all the way back to the bar before starting to turn and her hands slipped sending her flying. She landed on the back of her neck and her knees flung up to her chest (almost like she was doing a backwards roll).

I'm sure my description does not do the scary factor justice, but needless to say it looked pretty scary. She was fine, just knocked the wind out of her, but it did rattle her a little (and me too:eek:).

She came out to get a drink and a hug. Then, her coach had her sit out a little. Then when it was time for the girls to switch to beam she told everyone to go to the other coach but my dd. She had her do 4 or 5 back hip circles in a row (with coaches hand right under her back, more for moral support than physical) and then let her practice her mill circle. I'm glad they did that to keep her from getting too afraid.

She finished out the class like a trooper. She said it was scary and her little friend thought it was scary too. By the end of class, she was back to normal and was talking about "the big fall" all the way home.

Well, I guess I just needed to share. I know many of you have been there and so would get what it feels like to see your little dd flying through the air and not being able to do anything to stop it.:p At least she didn't get hurt. :)

That does sound scary!! I'm glad she's not hurt. Last night I watched my daughter try to do a squat on and jump to the high bar only to land on her face. I was so relieved when she just stood up and tried again!

Bars are scary! The day before a big meet a friend's DD peeled off the high bar while tap swinging backwards and managed to wrap herself around the low bar once before landing on the mat in a heap. The coach told her she didn't have to transition from high bar to low till level 8. :p
Coach did the same thing... after she got herself together, she had her get back on the bars and run through the routine a few times.
I'm glad your DD is O.K. Probably the whole experience freaked you out more than her!

I'm so glad she's ok! I bet it was scary for her but even more scary for you to sit there and watch. I'm glad everything turned out ok, her coach sounds great.

How scary! I rarely stay to watch my daughter practice so have missed all of her falls so far. And when she describes then I never quite get exactly what happened or how she landed. Seeing it would be horrible. Makes me glad I am never there. So glad your dd is ok, landing on the neck is really dangerous.

How scary! I rarely stay to watch my daughter practice so have missed all of her falls so far. And when she describes then I never quite get exactly what happened or how she landed. Seeing it would be horrible. Makes me glad I am never there. So glad your dd is ok, landing on the neck is really dangerous.

I agree. That was what scared me the most. When she came out to see me, though, she didn't even mention her neck hurting or anything. She just mentioned "losing her breath." She says she landed on her back, so maybe it just looked like she landed on her neck. The coaches had her lay there for quite awhile before they let her move. She said they were asking her a bunch of questions and telling her to breathe slowly. Anyway, she was fine for the rest of class and doesn't seem to have any issues today.

Sounds scary! So glad she was okay and I think the coach was wise to have her do a bunch before any fear set in.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back