Parents Dead Spots on Floor

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

How are dead spots on floor created and how difficult is it for the gym to fix them? My daughter says it hurts to tumble and land.

Broken springs, broken wood panels, springs that have come loose, all of the above.

Difficulty to repair is in the eye of the beholder. Take up the carpet, take up the foam, figure out which panel, get it out which probably necessitates taking up many more panels, fix the bad spot, reverse all of this to put the floor back together.

Yes, I am told it really sucks to land or try to rebound off of a dead spot. Get the parents to offer to help fix it. Look at it this way, its good practice for moving a floor to host an off-site meet.

AAI floors are notorious for dead spots and seams in the panels....

Reactions: sce
So how much will repairing the floor help vs getting a new floor? What if you repair the wood and springs and then get new foam and carpet? Will this return safety and bounce to a floor?

So how much will repairing the floor help vs getting a new floor? What if you repair the wood and springs and then get new foam and carpet? Will this return safety and bounce to a floor?
Impossible to answer because it depends on the quality of work

We had to repair a couple of dead spots on our floor after the roof leaked over spring break (with 4-5 days of rain and snow).
IT was soooooooo "fun." We had to replace 2 waterlogged boards and 1 broken board. The floor is a lot better now, but we are preparing for the next dead spot... usually happens after high school season has started.

They're usually just plywood sections with springs underneath. A second set of plywood is on top, offset from the underlying set with the springs, in order to mitigate the effect of the intersections between the boards. On top of that is a layer of foam, followed by the carpet. It could be fairly simple - a spring broke or popped out, a section of the plywood is deteriorated from water, or the foam has deteriorated in that section. If it's near one side, it's easy enough to roll back the carpet and look at the foam.

Setting up the floor for a meet from scratch takes about an hour for five people. So, getting to the floor and inspecting it isn't impossible, unless your floor is packed into the rest of the equipment in the gym and hard to get to.

i didn't realize how complicated floors were until i helped set one up and dismantle it for our hosted meet. our coach just put in a new floor and the gym is 5 years old. i thought it was weird until i read this post.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back